It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PRESS SECRETARY DANA PERINO ( State of emergency/Ice storms)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   

STATEMENT BY PRESS SECRETARY DANA PERINO

www.foxnews.com

The President today declared an emergency exists in the State of New Hampshire and ordered Federal aid to supplement State and local response efforts in the area struck by a severe winter storm beginning on December 11, 2008, and continuing.
The Presidents action authorizes the Department of Homeland Security, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), to coordinate all disaster relief efforts which have the purpose of alleviating the hardship and suffering caused by the emergency on the local population, and to provide appropriate assistance for required emergency measures, authorized under Title V of the Stafford Act, to save lives and to protect property and public health and safety, and to lessen or avert the threat of a catastrophe in the counties of Belknap, Carroll, Cheshire, Coos, Grafton, Hillsborough, Merrimack, Rockingham, Strafford, and Sullivan.
Specifically, FEMA is authorized to identify, mobilize, and provide at its discretion, equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency. Emergency protective measures, limited to direct Federal assistance, will be provided at 75 percent Federal funding.
R. David Paulison, Administrator, Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Department of Homeland Security, named James N. Russo as the Federal Coordinating Officer for Federal recovery operations in the affected area.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 14-12-2008 by xoxo stacie]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I can understand that there is a state of emergency, but what do they mean by "recovery"?

"for Federal recovery operations in the affected area."

Have people been dieing due to this ice storm and the ongoing storms there? It seems very odd to list recovery as a emergency needed to be handled by homeland security.
It is just a small release but still I am wondering why FEMA needs the Department of Homeland Security to help them is disaster releif....the whole thing sounds weird to me.
In disasters I have heard of FEMA using the National Guard and all to help but they called in Homeland Security. Gots me to wonderin.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

Ice storms are what we typically get in NW Georgia, it can be devasting. But I really thought that 'up north' that the area response to this type of storm was much more efficient than it is turning out to be. Is this a rare type of storm for the area?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

Well I know they do get some nasty winter storms,but I can understand the ice storm being severe. I just cant wrap my brain around Homeland Security being called in for "recovery"; I mean what are they there to recover?

Edit to add: this was also released at 11:28pm est who the heck is going to see it over there at that hour?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Was just thinking it could be a clause that Bush attached to his bill that passed giving him all power in a state of emergency. Mabe the "recovery" is what makes it possible for Homeland Security to nose in with FEMA???

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Ice storms are serious. My state had a horrible one last year.

It destoryed so many power lines that thousands and thousands were without power for up to a week.

Keep in mind that it was very cold out.

My guess is there are atleast hundreds without power and a place to stay.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by hardcoremusiclover]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

She is a saint in an ice storm. No one better than to snuggle with.

More on--as in closely related--topic: The Bush Administration is saving lives.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by pluckynoonez]

top topics

join