It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for a seed bank

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hello and sorry if this topic has already been discussed , I did do a search before posting and was unable to find what I was looking for .

I am hoping that some one can help me locate a online source to purchase an organic seed bank of diverse selection , something like a bundle pack of sorts .

Secondly , how long can seeds be kept ?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Seeds can be kept indefinately as long as they are stored in a dry place and away from moisture and condinsation.

I would just start going to your local greenhouse store and find just about any seed you may want.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I could be wrong but I think I have read that most greenhouses wont have seeds that make plants that then produce more seeds. Heirloom seeds I think they are called.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

I have herd off this and want to stay away from any such seed , is there a way to tell if a seed is of this nature ?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

Just make sure to buy heriloom seeds. You can order online.

A good read

www.care2.com...

The loss of genetic seed diversity facing us today may lead to a catastrophe far beyond our imagining. The Irish potato famine, which led to the death or displacement of two and a half million people in the 1840s, is an example of what can happen when farmers rely on only a few plant species as crop cornerstones.

One blight wiped out the single potato type that came from deep in the Andes mountains; it did not have the necessary resistance. If the Irish had planted different varieties of potatoes, one type would have most likely resisted the blight.

We can help save heirloom seeds by learning how to buy and save these genetically diverse jewels ourselves.

ABOUT SEEDS
One kind of seed, called First generation hybrids (F1 hybrids), have been hand-pollinated, and are patented, often sterile, genetically identical within food types, and sold from multinational seed companies.

A second kind of seeds are genetically engineered. Bioengineered seeds are fast contaminating the global seed supply on a wholesale level, and threatening the purity of seeds everywhere. The DNA of the plant has been changed. A cold water fish gene could be spliced into a tomato to make the plant more resistant to frost, for example.

A third kind of seeds are called heirloom or open-pollinated, genetically diverse jewels that have been passed on from generation to generation.

With heirloom seeds there are 10,000 varieties of apples, compared to the very few F1 hyprid apple types.

The Mayan word “gene” means “spiral of life.” The genes in heirloom seeds give life to our future. Unless the 100 million backyard gardeners and organic farmers keep these seeds alive, they will disappear altogether. This is truly an instance where one person–a lone gardener in a backyard vegetable garden–can potentially make all the difference in the world.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
www.survivalseedbank.com...

This place will buy back your seeds you grow from you:
www.survivalistseeds.com...

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
reply to post by RFBurns

I could be wrong but I think I have read that most greenhouses wont have seeds that make plants that then produce more seeds. Heirloom seeds I think they are called.

This is mostly correct, some may have heirlooms, but a LOT will not.

This is one of many places you can get heirloom seeds:

www.heirloomseeds.com...

ADM, Monsanto, and others are all piling onboard for Codex Alimentarus
and plan to shove GM seed down our throat.

This becomes mandantory for all WTO members in 2009.

The keys are as another poster listed above, keep you seeds
cool and dry and free of parasites.

Air tight 50 cal ammo cans with some moisture removal material
will do the trick, if you put them in a cellar at 59 degrees they
will last a very long time.

Good Luck to you all !

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by craig732

Very interesting website , the only thing missing is the asparagus , to bad .
The only thing I am missing is the required land size .

Has anyone tried to grow a sustained harvest by means of hydroponics growing ?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Once again great link !

I have been giving serious thought to buying and starting a seed bank and these two sites are a great help .

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Yeah the ppl in Norway thought savings the seeds was so
important they built the doomsday seed vault:

Norway's Island Underground Global Seed Vault

Makes you wonder if they know something we don't, lol.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by craig732

Very interesting website , the only thing missing is the asparagus , to bad .
The only thing I am missing is the required land size .

Has anyone tried to grow a sustained harvest by means of hydroponics growing ?

I think the bio diesel algae ppl named Valcent Technologies does
vertical hydroponics and they might have done what you are
looking for, they are pretty cutting edge.

Valcent Technologies Vertical Hydroponics - PDF

It is a PDF so it will require Adobe Acrobat or an open source variant !

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

Yeah the ppl in Norway thought savings the seeds was so
important they built the doomsday seed vault.

The Royal Botanic Gardens here in Britain has a massive underground seed bank on their Wakehurst Place site in rural Sussex.

They state that: The Millennium Seed Bank Project (MSBP) is the largest ex situ conservation project ever conceived. Its partners will have banked seed from 10% of the world's wild plant species by the end of the decade. These will not be just any plants, but will include the rarest, most threatened and most useful species known to man.i]

www.kew.org...

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
This is such an important topic, I starred and flagged it. Though we don't have the ability yet, and lack the land, I'm going to start collecting heritage seeds this year, starting as early as I can in the new year, and plan on learning the best methods for creating greater yields in container gardens. If we pull off our move, and it sets everything off, I'm still going to start my seed collection.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by mystiq]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
try:
www.fedcoseed.com and www.seedsavers.org =) Heirloom, Non-hybrid, Non-GMO, non...etc, etc seeds.
Good Luck!
~ana

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tallsorts
The Royal Botanic Gardens here in Britain has a massive underground seed bank on their Wakehurst Place site in rural Sussex.

They state that: The Millennium Seed Bank Project (MSBP) is the largest ex situ conservation project ever conceived. Its partners will have banked seed from 10% of the world's wild plant species by the end of the decade. These will not be just any plants, but will include the rarest, most threatened and most useful species known to man.

www.kew.org...

Good to know that 2 nations are doing something sensible.
Pity Australian politicians are too shortsighted to.

I'd bet the Monsanto execs have their own private seed banks too, so they can eat good produce while watching the rest of humanity sicken from their rubbish.

We need a worldwide "French revolution" before it's too late.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

I purchase my seeds from one of two sources.

One, I try to spend my money locally at small "mom and pop" greenhouses. I do this for alot of reasons. One, you are helping a local family, you know they will have a good product and will stand behind it, they tend to be experts on local growing techniques and can help you with problems, give you tips, advice, etc...

Second, and Ive posted this web address before on ATS Seedman. The website is a little harder to navigate, but they stock everything imaginable. I have had very good luck with their products. So much that I do less and less business with them every year as I always have enough plants I can allow to go to seed without spoiling my harvest.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
As more and more news comes out about gmo foods and health risks associated with them, this topic has become increasingly interesting to me. This time last year, I stumbled upon Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and ordered a few packs of seeds. I tried some melons and a few other seeds and they all turned out better than expected. I just received their catalog for 2009 a week ago and I have yet to fully browse through it due to the number and varieties offered. I plan on ordering more for 2009 and expanding my little garden.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by mystiq

I woke up to what was going on in the world last year. So this past summer was the first time we had a garden. Like some of you, I lack the land, so I did containers. I made up a bunch of self watering containers. We didn't ahve a great harvest this year, but that's the whole point of trying it out before it's required, to figure out what works.

As for seed, I got some of mine from Baker Creek, but the majority came from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. I went with them mainly because they have strictly heirloom and open pollinated seed, but they are also fairly close, so I know anything they grow at their place should be good in my area.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DonkeyRider

Baker Creek is right down the road (as the crow flies anyway). They are awesome folks. I would encourage anyone and everyone to do business with them, and visit their Farm/Store/Thingie if you ever get the chance! Great find, Donkey!
~ana

posted on Dec, 25 2008 @ 11:44 PM
link   
stores.homestead.com...

larue tactical: SHTF (seeds hit the farm) precanned mini seed bank

[edit on 25/12/08 by AgentBlack]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join