It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is evolution the counter to Jesus?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by funky monk
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

But I didnt ask you to prove anything. lol.

I know you didn't. Are you following along? I was referring to the people I was talking about in the conversation you and I were having about this thread. What happened here overnight?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal

Well now someone is LYING aren't we?

You asked for SCIENTIFIC PROOF GOD EXISTS...

You were NOT NICE nor SEEKING and you still have an AGENDA!

I told you then I will tell you now, There is NO SCIENTIFIC WAY TO PROVE GOD, NOR EVOLUTION, NOR ALIENS...

Sorry f this answer bothers you, but nonetheless it is true...

Now for this thread question... The reason evolution and Jesus can't coexist as it would do away with the Bible, for you see the Bible says that MAN BROUGHT DEATH INTO THE WORLD WITH SIN...

Evolution teaches DEATH BROUGHT MAN INTO THE WORLD...

See the conflict? Or shall I draw a picture?

I thought the OP was quite cordial in his other thread, and onceagain here. But sheesh , I think he has the right to get a little miffed, when people continue straying Off-topic, and tryinjg to disprove evolution, thinking that if they can do that, then they have proved the existance of God. Don't ask me why they, or you seem to do that. *shrug*

I believe in the other thread you said there is more proff (scientific I'd assume?) , of the existance of God (the King James version I also assume), than evolution. Now your saying there is no proof -equal-, of either???

Hey, no shame in backpeddling now. (btw, you may wanna check you shift key, it seems to be sticking.)

Also, what do aliens have to do with this?

I also don't understand why Christians or Catholics (I've gone to both churches, don't really remember the minor differences, Catholicism just seemed to me to be more into "Saints", than Christianity), well that wes my 6-11 year old take on it, when I was awake.

Annnnyway, I don't understand why they cannot accept evolution and still believe God created man.It takes a bit of time to get from A-Z, but, it can fit, I think.

I mean really Genesis, is an extremely condensed version of creation, correct?. If I were a Christian, I would imagine when they say in Genesis, that everything was createdin 6 days(7th day rest ect),we aren't talking about "earth" cycles here. Meaning 24 hour days.

It all seems to come down to faith. Either you believe in the book or you don't. I also imagine this has to do withhow one was raised, and personal life experiences.

But the OP is looking for actual, scientific proof. I don't think there is any. Really if there was, why would one need faith? Then the whole premise of the bible falls on it's ear. Quite the conundrum

[edit on 15-12-2008 by Nola213]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by CharlesMartel

Well, either:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

this is gonna be good....

or God is not our Creator and our rights come from God or they exist at the whim of politicians.

What? I only get those two choices? Wow, well, I cannot wait to see how this goes over but.....all men are not created equal. That is a nice philosophical idea to keep people fair in their treatment of others but it is a platitude, not a literal reality. I have a friend that needs me to get things from high shelves because she is much shorter. My black friend can stay out in the sun much longer than my irish/german/english butt can. My mother lost her kidney due to a genetic defect and without medical advancements would have been dead 20 years ago. Were you born that way too?

Evolution diminishes our Rights, because it means they do not come from God. What God gives, only God can take away. What the politicians give, they can take away, and will when they feel they need to.

Sorry but evolution does not diminish our rights any more than religion does. You speak of the Christian god, are you one of his special chosen people? Which rights did he give us all that we all need, or want, or like? How do you know that I would not be more inclined to enjoy the rights that may be granted by Elliot Spitzer instead of your god? Why do you get to decide who grants me my rights if we are all equal? Should I not then have the same right to decide for myself where my rights come down from?

I will say it again just to be clear. All men are not created equal. Blind people cannot describe a painting to someone nearly as well as a sighted person could. Deaf people do not get to enjoy the new Nevermore live album. I can. Does that make me better? Nooooooooooooooooooo. Different? Yessssssssssss.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by toasted

" Unfortunately, this thread is for those couple that contend the opposite to be true. "

Well,

alrighty then.

I hope it goes as you hoped for. :-)

LOL, so far...swimmingly!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411
Well, evolution disproves creationism. It does not disprove the existence of Jesus Christ or a God. Evolution disproves the theory of creationism (God created us as we are today). If this is off topic I think everyone else in this thread is having trouble following your ill logic.

I guess the problem is that I explained it in the OP and again to you. I should have known by then that when I see that avatar of the fine intelligent looking young man with the nice teeth and hair, that some crazy stupid is coming.

Evolution disproves creationism, ok. And?
What was my point? Oh, when I asked people about proof of God. God. Hear me? God. I said God. The word I am using here is capital G GOD. Got it yet?

OK so here I am looking for some scientific way to prove God and I keep getting these "Christians" coming in to tell me that I need to prove evolution.

What???? Why do I need to prove evolution. We were not talking about the bible, creationism, Christian world history, just God. That is it. Evolution was not only off topic but asking me to prove it instead of offering something up of their god? Well that seemed a little off.

I asked about God and I got -"you prove evolution!!!!"

Um, no. Not how it works. I was not talking about evolution, just God.

Are you getting this yet? I am sick of explaining myself more than once to you. Rap music must do something to reading skills.

I said that if they wanted to debate how me proving evolution is the only response they have to my question about God, then they needed a thread where that would not be off topic in which to discuss.

Here it is. They are welcome to come here and explain to me why I need to prove evolution when I want them to prove God or Jesus. You can have both God and Jesus without creationism. You and the people I am talking about put them together so inextricably.

Again, if you are not one of them, I was not addressing you in the OP. If just wandered in and wanted to spout off ignorant rants because you misunderstood the point, please keep your avatar the same so I can just skim past that crap from now on.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I've been laughing my way through this thread, especially at some of the comments from some of our creationist posters.

However, it's the sixth page and the original question still has not been answered due to misinterpretations....

I wanted to attempt to answer it as plainly as possible for the ease of understanding of many here.

Why is evolution the counter to Jesus?

Well it's because people who cannot prove the existence of God need to take emotional comfort in 'knowing' (hoping) that evolution is false and therefore eases the pain of being wrong and delusional. It's a defense mechanism.

Of course, the problem arises when evidence comes into play and the creationists' anti-evolution arguments fall flat on their faces.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
The problem with that theory...that the believers in God need evolution to fall flat...is wrong.

I believe in a Higher Power/Energy...what ever suits you....and I believe evolution can be a part in the works of that power, god, whatever...

You can not place all believers in a category of 'against evolution'...it doesn't work.

And again...why is it that everyone looks over this 'bara' word....it does not mean created. I would love to hear specifically from those who think God works through creating out of nothing, personally.

Ok, so someone doesn't believe in God or Jesus and wants proof. They say creationism cant be true because evolution is proven. But then you have this group over in the corner getting ignored that says they believe there is a God and they believe he works through evolution, processes, science.

This whole thread proves absolutely nothings except we are all looking for ways to stereotype a group.

But some good points were made throughout it, I think....

Peace to all,
LV

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:07 AM
link   
There are believers that can think out of the box, but non believers will still find ways to assume we do this just for comfort, something we need in life....it will always be that way.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I consider myself Christian and I believe Jesus was sent from God, however, I also believe in evolution and science. The bible is written by people (not god), for people with very limited general knowledge and science to those people didnt exist. Thats why it is so "simple", it is for the simple minded, but dont get me wrong, it is not stupid. There is huge amount of knowledge and evidence of deep understanding of the soul in the bible, its just that alot of what is written, especially in the old testament should not be taken literally.

I have no idea why there is still people in todays world that actually think the bible is the only truth. It makes me sad to know we have so many naives.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have to add to the discussion about the book of Genesis where it says that God created everything in 7 days. Let us pause there for a moment, one earth day is the revolution of the earth around it self. Isnt God above the earth? What if one God day was the revolution of the Galaxy around it self? Then it would have taken God, 7 x 250,000,000 YEARS to create us. Thats 1,75 BILLION human years.

Who says god uses earth days?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
@ LeoVirgo

I understand the point that as a believer you do not want to be stereotyped into the group which I created in my last post.

I want to clarify that I am only speaking in reference to the group of individuals mentioned by our OP who created this thread as a response to the hijacking of the previous one where creationists used the defensive statement 'Prove evolution' as a response to the question 'prove God exists'.

As if by disproving evolution would somehow make God exist.

This is, of course, absurd. I wanted to explain that the only reasons someone would use this argument is if they felt they needed emotional security by holding onto irrational thought.

Mostly this is done subconsciously and is not realised.

Again, I just wanted to answer the question.

To pick up on the word 'bara'; in this context - it's off topic sorry. But interesting none-the-less, maybe consider gathering more info and references and post a new thread. I know that I would be interested to read it

edit to direct comment to poster.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by Unsane]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Hi Waldy,

'Who says God uses Earth Days?', you stated.

Well the Bible uses the word 'day' so why should it mean Galactic rotation?

Why can't day actually mean 'day'? Oh yeah, because it reduces the legitimacy of the whole damn story.

Why shouldn't he (the writer) be explicit in the wording so as to reduce confusion and misinterpretation?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Unsane

I dont want to derail this thread too much but I have to answer you on this

First of all I want to clarify I dont believe in the book of Genesis. Im a selective Christian.
All I wanted to do is point out that the earth day only applies to the earth and if God created the universe then why would he use earth days at all since there are likely billions of other civilizations out there he created also? We are very comfortable using our day measuring system because we are "above" the earth and understand everything from our perspective on earth.

God is very likely "above" the universe and from his perspective a day on earth is hardly measurable, his days are likely billions of earth years.

I may have lost myself somewhat there but I think its arrogant to assume god created the universe and everything in it using our time measuring system. Also its arrogant to assume god created us in his image.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

By being 'Selectively Christian', does that mean you select the bits you agree with and substitute words in the Bible for words which you assume must be more likely?

I tend to reject the whole thing on the basis that if it is meant to be the be-all-and-end-all then the scriptures should at least be clear and precise and allow for no misinterpretations.

Sorry, this is the last post in which I will divert from the main topic.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Unsane

Yeah basically, maybe Im not Christian at all even though I believe in Jesus Christ. My believes are constantly evolving and I never stop asking questions, it is the search for the meaning of life that drives me I guess.

I dont understand how people can just base their whole believe system on one book that has been re-written and shaped hundreds of times.

Evolution and Jesus co-exist fine within my believes.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Upon a simple cursory examination, I see no reason why the concept of Jesus and Evolution should be diametrically opposed. I don't believe Jesus really had anything to say on the subject of Evolution or Creation. Indeed, I don't recall Jesus making very many definitive statements about the nature of the universe at all - but rather seemed to focus more on the philosophy of how man should act in regards to their fellow man and in regards to god.

Also, insofar as God, since I didn't get to participate in the last thread - I guess I should offer up my proof of one. Er... if I had any that is. Unfortunately, God apparently, and by very definition, exists beyond the perceptible universe and evidence we can decipher can only exist within the perceptible universe. So asking for evidence is every bit as silly as stating so matter of factually that god does exist despite a complete lack of evidence. Though I do believe in a creator god/gods, it is nothing more than a belief I hold - and I fully recognize the fact that I may be completely wrong. Outside of the simple precept of belief, I try to hold no preconceived notions about that god or gods - because if there isn't even enough evidence to fully substantiate the claim that god even exists, how can we claim to know anything about such a being's nature, desires, powers, modus operandi, etc.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Unsane

Thank you for being clear and concise.

Its appreciated....mabey Ill see ya in that other thread if I ever get round to it.

Peace,
LV

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
The genius of God is this: In order to know God (or in your words prove His existence) He must reveal Himself to you. And the way He reveals Himself to people is through His Son, His creation and His Word the Bible. For us to "prove" God's existence we must come to him through faith in Jesus Christ. Because the truth is, everyone of us has been supernaturally blinded and must be born again spiritually in order to "prove" God exists. Proving God exists falls into the same catagory as defining God. You cannot define Someone who is infinite in every respect. So to answer your thread, seriously consider the evidence found in the universe and your own body. The fact that you are reading this with eyes that focus and see three dimensionally in color is nothing short of a miracle. Last of all, you will never present enough evidence to convince someone who chooses not to believe. God really is a genious.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Wanted to add some more thoughts for us to consider. I have to believe the strongest evidence for point in time creation rather than eons required to make evolution work is the fact that species that cannot reproduce die out in one generation. There had to be a point in time when the sexes were created male and female so that they could reproduce and contine to exist. Evolution only works when you inject the time factor. Scientific proof?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Honestly, I can't see how evolution negates GOD, it's a natural process that can be viewed as just another small piece of his grand creation. It should be accepted by now as such, just as we accept the Earth revolves around the Sun. People who discount evolution, do so because they choose not to understand it. We accept mutation as a part of biology and understand it's due to cosmic particles slamming into our DNA. Every so often one of these mutations creates an advantage for a species and within few thousand years the part of the species without this adaptation have been bred out entirely. Which part of this process offends people's beliefs?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join