It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Smoking Be Banned?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The new Fascism, the 'Problem of the Smokers'

Let them be smokers in 'less places' and send them to Ghettos.

The Americans believe in prohibition,
But the rest of us, no indoctrination.

We do follow you though,
Morallism is the high show.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Typical smokers response. Yes why should you consider anyone else when in the end people are going to die anyway. Nice logic.
Well if you were right, and smoking does not cause any additional problems, how is it that it has been proven that smoking does indeed cause additional health problems?

Maybe you should consider the fact that you're not the only one on the planet and have consideration for others instead of just for yourself.

You sir, are an ass. You are arguing just to argue and contribute in no way to this debate. You want to force your opinions on everyone to show us little people how smart you are. You're an idiot. I have tried very hard to be civil but watching you badger people has gotten me to a boiling point. A right is not a right with conditions. Is your right to live as you see fit met with conditions? You are giving typical asinine non smoker reactions and wonder why you are being met with sarcasm. Yes we all breathe polluted air. It is an undeniable truth. But we have been doing so for years and one great thing about the human body is that it evolves. Since the beginning of the 20th century we were dealing with pollutants. Be it new chemicals, the coc aine, and heroin the government was telling people was ok, all the way through today. You don't have the right to not breathe my smoke. Show me that in the constitution. Show me where it says Non-Smokers have the right to not breathe cigarettes. I will admit it isn't nice or right to blow smoke at people, but I have the inalienable right to do as I please. Don't walk through where I am smoking. You think because you don't smoke that you can walk anywhere you want and enforce your beliefs on people. I'm walking here *cough cough* you shouldn't smoke here. That will be met with a you shouldn't be walking here.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
if the smoke is so unhealthy then make there less plaches and in public just walk away. you would walk away from an armed grenade too if you don't want to die do you. there must be a way in the middle you morons ( nothing personal) i am a smoker and i have many friends who don't and they aren't #ing around because we all act like inteligent people and arrange ourselfs insted of fighting. Goddamit we are #ing adults, start acting like one!(and this goes for both smokers and non-smokers)

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
i dont smoke puffed it twice in my in my life but i figured since i had small sunspot moles everywhere it was either dying from ciggarette smoke or dying from slow exposure off the sun's rays mixed with the chemicals off sunscreen i use on my skin to cause skin cancer. So i threw away the smoke and decided to add, atleast 10 years to my life.

Tobacco is not as harmful as the chemicals companies put in the smoke. They should ban the chemicals. But either way i hate breathing in any smoke.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
stinger94 if i understood everything you wrote you meen you walk by a smoker, coff, then stop to expose yourself to even more smoke just to argue instead of going on and inhalateing the least smoke as necesary. don't get me wrong but wouldn't that make it your own decision to stand in the smoke longer than necesary, or would you blame beretta when someone shots himself? Or do you blame Jack Daniels and General Motors if a drunk guy drives someone over?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
As a smoker (going up and down in amounts...), I would not directly advocate a complete ban, BUT, I would most definately speak highly for a change in the amounts of free medical care a person could receive if they choose to subject themselves to any addiction that causes them to need severe treatment.

It is still a choice wether or not you smoke. I've seen people quit smoking never to return, including my grandparents and parents, and I know it can be done even though the chemicals in the bastards makes it hard or... rubbish... the chemicals in our brain make us want it so bad.

Medical care to selfcaused states of illness is an unneccesary burden to any society.

Another way of doing it would be to force people to take part in programs that get you out of addiction the moment you show signs of serious illness.
If you then persist to be addicted, penalties like above mentioned could be enforced.

While we should be social and take care of eachother, we shouldn't be forced to take care of those who simply don't care about themselves.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
force people to take part in such programs pretty bad thing, this is a bit like the camps in the fourtys isn't it?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
smoking is toxic, final so YES
it should be banned, like any poison

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
you meen like alcohol?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Well, alcohol is okay in moderation, just like food. While I still think that alcohol is a poison, and that's why I don't drink, food is naturally good for you; you need food. Cigarettes, on the other hand, have no benefit. There is no cigarette that could ever be good for you.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by Totakeke]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
you can't operate a vehicle without a seat belt because it's dangerous and there's a bunch of people out there that really really care about your "safety". but you can inhale toxic substances directly into your main respiratory organ. everyone is okay with that one.

one makes companies lots of money, the other doesn't.
guess which is which...

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jfj123

Originally posted by Xwino

Just curious if you bothered to read the links in the link I supplied ? American Cancer Society, OSHA , CDC ref. Nothing of value seems to support your theory on second hand smoke being harmful to a second party. This appears to be the thrust of your opinion. So can I assume this is just yet another opinion. If not, offer a neutral parties studies to support your point . I don't smoke! I also don't get hysterical over none issues. Nothing personal.

Actually there are plenty of FACT that support my opinion including from ACS, CDC, etc..

I'm not sure where you get your info from but smoking is a health hazzard INCLUDING 2nd hand smoke. Ask any doctor, ask any person working in a smoking bar, etc....
If you actually believe smoking is not hazzardous to your health, there is no point for me to post information to the contrary as you will NEVER believe it. Hopefully you're at least honest enough to yourself for you to agree with me on that !

My understanding is we are talking about a second party having adverse effects from being exposed to second hand smoke. NOT the actual person smoking. Secondhand smoke is the issue you are hanging your hat on and it has NO SUBSTANCE. This is not my opinion but the overt contradictions presented by OSHA in ref to the study done by the ACS.
TRY GOING TO THE LINK I PROVIDED ! And stop offering nothing but your opinion. That would be a good start. What you are saying about secondhand smoke seems like a no brainer that most rational people would normally agree with. I would be one of those people, until I started to look at the study utilized by the CDC. Now a PO'd fellow has done a lot of the work by putting it all in one comfortable package. It is certainly worth a look to get a gist for the other side of the discussion.
Fortunately for all the concerned citizens, have no fear, the bad stuff is filtered by the first parties lungs. Airborne nicotine is what remains and what has been measured in the studies. The John Hophins study involved exposure to SHS for eight hours per day for five days or a forty hour work week. OSHA took said study and found it was 500>25.000 times LOWER then their allowed health standards. So does this deserve serious attention from anyone other then perhaps a month old baby with asthma ? Nope.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Sorry. That should be 29.6 > 238 times safer. Not 25.000. For some reason I couldn't edit the post

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I'd hate to post a one liner here, but...

Of course it should be banned. I can't think of any reason why it shouldn't.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jfj123

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

bodies DO have the right to not be subjected to disease causing agents, your point is incorrect.

First - show me the proof secondhand smoke causes cancer.

Second - from where do you derive this supposed right?

There's a difference between offensive odors and something that causes health related problems.

Right - secondhand smoke is an offensive odor.

Just to be clear, it's not about YOUR future health, it's about everyone else's around you. You do not have the right to endanger someone else's health. PERIOD!

Writing the word period in capital letters is no substitute for factual validation of your argument.

The difference is that you not smoking does not endanger anyone's health.

hehehe

I disagree...

Smokers generally are NOT accomodating. Some are but most are not.

You have the planes, the trains, the airports, the schools, the taxis, the hospitals, the restaurants, the bars, the theaters, the shops, the sidewalks, the beaches...

Smokers have their homes and their cars..and..that's about it.

I think we've been accommodating..too accommodating, actually.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
This thread smells suspiciously of a hidden campaign.

Do I believe the effects are that bad?
No. Not as much as the SUVs barrelling down the highway causing every summer day to be a red ozone day.

While I think smoking is somewhat bad, nothing like the propoganda tells you.
if they told you it was only a little bad, no one would quit.

Give any person who quits 500 dollars if they stay that way for six months. Then you would have a great non smoking campaign.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Do you know what happens when any government puts too many laws into place? The chances of a uprising happening rises.

Whatever happen to free will.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I don't see why the government seems to think it has the right to control what we do to ourselves.

Why can't I smoke weed? Why can't I take party drugs? (Don't want to). Why should they make the rules? Why should I have to follow them?

Why are there so many laws that don't let people do what they want, it isn't hurting anybody else?

BS.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
Well to you jfj123 I will tell you that offensive odors that you talk about can infact affect some ones health. If you are the part of society that suffers from migrains then you would most certainly know that the lady with to much purfume or the guy with to much cologne will infact immedietly affect your health. So should I ask everyone I run into on the street or in a mall or anywhere else that I am going to be to hose off because their odor is giving me a migrain. No, I would not be as rude as to even comment to them about it I would simply move away from them as to reduce my chance to getting a migrain. So from now on I am using the non smokers logic when I run accross anyone who reaks of to much colgne or perfume. I think I would have a better case as it affects me immedietly where as second hand smoke is forther down the road than a migrain. So do as I do if a strong odor is near you STAY THE F
AWAY.
Those odors from the colognes and perfumes do not dissipate quickly, so I could go into an elevator after whom ever was wearing said odor and recieve a migrain directly tied to the odor. So now I am going to start a ban on all people and companies invovled in manufacturing perfumes and colognes, who is with me .

I am!!! I have the same problem and it is extremely frustrating to have your day ruined because someone thinks their "smell" should be enjoyed by everyone else! BTW, I'm a smoker and there are times the smell of the cigarettes is the only thing that keeps the perfume from giving me a migraine. I'm also extremely respectful of non smokers.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by prototism

Hello intellectuall !

All these place were your choice to frequent, you could have gone somewhere else where smoking was disallawed.

You can read all the 'scientific' documents you like, but I am still yet to find any proof that passive smoking has killed anyone.

Non-passive smoking, like dragging 20 Cigs a day for 40 years kills you - we know this, we live with it every day, and would not like to inflict this on people who choose not to smoke.

There is no huge difference from passive smoking, to say - sitting behind a GAS car for 2 hours a day in a traffic jam. But smokers are easy targets, and so our liberty is forfeit.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join