It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate 1400BC Underground Shelter-Derinkuyu.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Derinkuyu.

Original Article Here

In 1963, an inhabitant of Derinkuyu (in the region of Cappadocia, central Anatolia, Turkey), knocking down a wall of his house cave, discovered amazed that behind it was a mysterious room that he had never seen, and this led him room to another and another and another to it ... By chance he had discovered the underground city of Derinkuyu, whose first level could be excavated by the Hittites around 1400 BC

Wow!

I've seen some amazing tunnels in my time but this one is just fantastic!

The article says that 20 levels have so far been excavated to a depth of about 40 metres although it could go as deep as 85 metres, and space for at least 10,000 people!

The city was used as a refuge for thousands of people living in the basement for protection from the frequent invasions suffered Cappadocia, at various times of their occupation, and by the early Christians.

A good enough reason to visit Turkey wouldn't you say and pick up some tips from the professionals.

Anyone ever been there? Please share your experience.

Link to a previous ATS thread... 7 th century-20,000 people underground cities?

And a Link to another article Here from www.xpeditionsmagazine.com.

Enjoy.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I suppose it could be one solution to building houses. you'd hardly get a room with a view though

Very impressive for such a long time ago. A lot of past civilisations were excellent in there innovative building.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Damien_uk
you'd hardly get a room with a view though

Think of the money you'd save on window cleaners.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Imagine what the US govt. must be up to under our feet. Many stories on the NET concerning drilling by the military of mighty tunnels to who knows where. Nothing has changed... humans still today tunnel to safety when TSHTF.

new topics

top topics

join