It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

lowlifes and beggers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
There is this club that I go to in Newark, NJ and several years ago there was this woman that was in the parking lot asking for money so that she could "Just buy her kid a happy meal". So I figured I''d be a nice guy and give her some....the first time. Turns out she used the same line on everyone in the parking lot for over two years on every Saturday night.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
If you want to help the REAL homeless there are plenty of local charities, not to mention foodbanks that are in place to help. It doesn't take anymore time, while you are shopping, to pick up a couple of extra cans of soup or something.

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   
There's a guy that drives around the city all day trying to collect scrap metal..

He asked my husband the other day if he had any...
Saw him last night at the gas station with a truck load of scrap metal...

If you have the time of day to do that, why can't you get off your azs and do something more productive???

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
Hell man, McDonalds hires retarded people (and puts them on the cash register which pisses me off).

They must be willing to hire homeless people.

I called a guy a tard at McDonalds once and they threw me out, sure it was an insensitive but the dude was like severly retarded and yeah, bad experience.

This was so friggin insensitive.... and funny too.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 04:06 AM
link   
well, insite, you may feel that you are the only one giving away change and that you are making a difference but it all goes back to the dealers and producers of drugs. And when it gets back to them they make more drugs and more people get hooked.

Like I said, buy a hungry man a hot dog. If he refuses it, fine. If you really care, knock him out and drag him to rehab.

posted on Apr, 17 2004 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by thebeagle
Like I said, buy a hungry man a hot dog. If he refuses it, fine. If you really care, knock him out and drag him to rehab.

LOL! I hear you man. I'm just a young fella still learning about life. I know I'm funding crack dealers but that isn't my fault. I had nothing to do with anyone getting hooked. I don't think I'm making a difference either, just giving away some spare change.

The reason I said that "I was the only one who should be concerned about where the money goes" is because all the other posters who refuse to give anything away all have stories about how it's a scam. That seems natural to me, don't pay the guy if you think you're going to get scammed, but me, I'll give my change away to someone who asks for it because they potentially could need it. Now the crackheads, I know when I see a crackhead and what he's going to do with my money. But at least he isn't out robbing people and breaking into houses to feed his addiction.

It's not my fault the guy wants to spend the money I gave him on rock instead of food. It's not my problem either. I think people should be a little more personally responsible. I'm going to avoid spending tax cash on social programs when it's the geographical area that warps people coupled with a natural weakness of spirit. Rehab doesn't work in this town, it can't.

You're absolutely right that I should give them food instead of coins but I guess I'm stubborn and want to make people make their own decisions. Just typing that made me feel evil, but I know it's the right thing to do IMO of course. It's not about me wanting to make a difference. I'll just give my coins away if someone asks for them that's all. These people really need the money for some reason or another.

[Edited on 4-17-2004 by insite]

posted on Apr, 18 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I hate hearing people say the homeless are nothing but grifters and because of it they refuse to give them a thing.

How many of these same people pay taxes (one of the biggest grifts of all) or work for far less then they are worth in their "jobs" ('jobs' said with *dripping sarcasm* ala George Carlin aka GOD)

When I was living in England with Pisky there was a homeless guy we would always come across underneath what the English call "subways" (To Americans, these are just walkways underneath roads).

He was almost always there, with his dog. He didn't harass or beg at all. He was just there and to everyone else (it seemed) he was invisible. But Pisky and I always gave him a pound or two if we had it to spare.

I don't give a rats ass what he used it for. Drugs, maybe a drink to ease the pain of being considered a non-entity by mainstream society or food (but I suspect it was used for food).

Point is, once it leaves my hand it becomes theirs to do with as they please. I trust if they are hungry they will EAT. Whatever. it isn't mine anymore.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join