It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Holiday Skirmish: intrepid vs Ian McLean : "Eggnog: Are You A Man Or A Christmas Mouse?"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The topic for this debate is “It's Not Really Eggnog Without Alcohol”

intrepid will be arguing the pro position and will open the debate.
Ian McLean will argue the con position.

Each debater will have one opening statement each. This will be followed by 3 alternating replies each. There will then be one closing statement each and no rebuttal.

There is a 10,000 character limit per post.

Any character count in excess of 10,000 will be deleted prior to the judging process.

Editing is strictly forbidden. For reasons of time, mod edits should not be expected except in critical situations.

Opening and closing statements must not contain any images and must have no more than 3 references.

Excluding both the opening and closing statements, only two images and no more than 5 references can be included for each post. Each individual post may contain up to 10 sentences of external source material, totaled from all external sources.

Links to multiple pages within a single domain count as 1 reference but there is a maximum of 3 individual links per reference, then further links from that domain count as a new reference. Excess quotes and excess links will be removed before judging.

The Socratic Debate Rule is in effect. Each debater may ask up to 5 questions in each post, except for in closing statements- no questions are permitted in closing statements. These questions should be clearly labeled as "Question 1, Question 2, etc.

When asked a question, a debater must give a straight forward answer in his next post. Explanations and qualifications to an answer are acceptable, but must be preceded by a direct answer.

This Is The Time Limit Policy:

Each debate must post within 24 hours of the timestamp on the last post. If your opponent is late, you may post immediately without waiting for an announcement of turn forfeiture. If you are late, you may post late, unless your opponent has already posted.

Each debater is entitled to one extension of 24 hours. The request should be posted in this thread and is automatically granted- the 24 hour extension begins at the expiration of the previous deadline, not at the time of the extension request.

In the unlikely event that tardiness results in simultaneous posting by both debaters, the late post will be deleted unless it appears in its proper order in the thread.

Judging will be done by a panel of anonymous judges. After each debate is completed it will be locked and the judges will begin making their decision. One of the debate forum moderators will then make a final post announcing the winner.

[edit on 12/12/2008 by semperfortis]

[edit on 12/13/2008 by semperfortis]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Holiday Skirmish: intrepid vs Ian McLean : "Eggnog: Are You A Man Or A Christmas Mouse?"

Ah, a holiday skirmish. Let’s remember that theme as we continue on this debate.

I would like to thank semper for setting this up and to the readers. I hope we can make it as enjoyable as possible. To my opponent as well, let’s have some fun.

The holidays are here and along with them the many traditions that we remember and hold dear. The Nativity scene, baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, the Magi, all in the manger. The tree, draped in lights and garland, presents under it. Singing carols. The turkey dinner not so far away. Friends and family. Buy/making presents for those near to us. Warming by the hearth for those in colder climes. And............. eggnog.

Eggnog, also egg nog, is a sweetened dairy-based beverage made with milk, cream, sugar, beaten eggs (which gives it a frothy texture) and flavoured with ground cinnamon and nutmeg; alcoholic versions also exist with the addition of various liquors, such as brandy, rum, and whiskey.

Eggnog is a popular drink throughout The Americas, and is usually associated with winter celebrations such as Christmas and New Year.

en.wikipedia.org...

When eggnog hit the store shelves(after Halloween) it’s a sign that the holidays are here. A time for sharing of ourselves with our loved ones. We look forward to this season. To remember times past and cast hopes for the future. A time to relax and enjoy life with others, casting off the grind that was the rest of the year. A time to rejoice for most. Nog is a part of this celebration, whether home made or purchased. What is the common theme with Nog though?

Eggnog can be produced from homemade recipes, however ready-made eggnog containing alcohol and "just-add-alcohol" versions are available for purchase. Whiskey, rum, brandy, or cognac are often added.

en.wikipedia.org...

The season has begun, let’s enjoy. Over to you Ian. May this find you with your chestnut roasting on an open fire.

(Mod note: Due to a code error which rendered this post invisible, 2 hours should be added to the 24 hour response window for the next post)

[edit on Sat Dec 13 2008 by The Vagabond]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
My dearest Intrepid, thanks for your participation and awareness of necessary fireplace safety. Let us fill this debate with holiday fun! My thanks also to the readers and judges; and to Semperfortis, well, You Know What You Did.

Few activities express the metaphorical truth of what consumerism and modern society have done to the holidays better than the act of swilling down a large glass of milk-and-egg based slime, pretending to enjoy it, and telling each other "this is what Christmas memories are made of!"

As is not unusual for disgusting food-stuffs, eggnog originated in England. During the course of this debate, we will explore the history of this, um, 'beverage-choice', as well as examining, from a safe distance, the various ways in which the British regularly debase their beverages, especially with regard to the addition of alcohol.

The breadth, and effect, of this topic is staggering. While the historical, cultural, and culinary research could easily fill our available posting space, I do hope we will have room for more speculative discussion concerning the spirit and spirits of Christmas. Where have modern times led us? But let us not become overly concerned with details - for there are deeper issues to drink of:

The implications of this subject are not only mixological, but philosophical. Unfortunately, the Platonic ideal and essential qualities of eggnog cannot be ignored, nor can epistemological implication. René Descartes is often quoted as saying "I drink, therefore I am" (perhaps he was misheard). However, despite extensive research, I have yet been unable to find evidence of his specific stance on eggnog:

"I hope that posterity will judge me kindly, not only as to the things which I have explained, but also to those which I have intentionally omitted so as to leave to others the pleasure of discovery."

-René Descartes [1]

Smug bastard. I suppose we have some work to do, then. Let's get to it!

Questions for Intrepid:

SQ1: Aren't there better things to do with cognac?
SQ2: What is your stance on the use of cinnamon?
SQ3: Dare I mention nutmeg?

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Ok, I didn't get it at first, I do now. This is about chuckles. HERE WE GO!!!

Socratic questions first.

SQ1: Aren't there better things to do with cognac?

Um, no. Throw that in there. Put it in a glass even. Hell, just pass me the bottle.

SQ2: What is your stance on the use of cinnamon?

An excellent spice. Can even be used in mashed potatoes. More on that later.

SQ3: Dare I mention nutmeg?

You can if you believe you can.

originally posted by Ian McLean
As is not unusual for disgusting food-stuffs, eggnog originated in England. During the course of this debate, we will explore the history of this, um, 'beverage-choice', as well as examining, from a safe distance, the various ways in which the British regularly debase their beverages, especially with regard to the addition of alcohol.

This is a misconception. The British often take different things and combine them to make them better. Bangers and Mash(add a little cinnamon) are average but roast beef and Yorkshire pudding is awesome. What you are missing here is the combination. You've had soft Nog. Maybe once you should try a hard Nog. C'mon, this is the country that gave us Elizabeth Hurley:

Nog.... it does a body good.

What about dessert? How about Spotted Dick and custard?

Socratic question #1- Have you ever had a Spotted Dick?

Dissing thing things without trying them, like the hard nog is just depriving yourself of lifes experiences.

It's not just the British thing though. Alcohol sales at this time of the year always spike:

Economic worries have caused a decline in U.S. consumer spending; however, analysts are predicting strong food and beverage sales this holiday season as more people opt to stay closer to home and family, and focus on meals and entertaining.

www.foodproductdesign.com...

And as nog is a holiday beverage it only makes sense that the 2 go together. That is unless you are one of these people:

Which one is you Ian?

Tis the season to pautay. Nog it up. HARD!!!

top topics

join