It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copernicus' Tomb Found After 200-Year Hunt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Nicolas Copernicus (February 19, 1473 – May 24, 1543) considered the father of modern Astronomy.

Nov. 20, 2008 -- DNA studies on two strands of hair and a tooth have ended a centuries-old hunt for the tomb of Nicolas Copernicus, the 16th century astronomer who shocked the world by declaring that the Earth was not the center of the universe, experts said Thursday. The tests confirmed that remains found in Frombork Cathedral in northern Poland in 2005 are those of the man considered the father of modern astronomy, Polish archaeologist Jerzy Gassowski said.

Source

Image Source

Earlier beliefs based on the Ptolemaic theory put Earth at the centre of the universe, with the sun and stars revolving around it. Pope Paul V condemned his groundbreaking work in 1616 as contrary to scripture.

Source

"Now we will be able to pay homage to Copernicus with a tomb worthy of this illustrious historic personality," Bishop of Frombork, Jacek Jezierski said.

Source

This discovery finally brings into the light, someone that I have read about in the history books into real life. Who will they find next I wonder?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
This man was the conspiracy theorist of his time.

He said the Earth was not stationary, but revolved around the Sun. This was total blasphemy in his day, not just because it contradicted the Church's doctrines, but because it also just didn't make sense to people!

One of his most famous critics argued, 'If it's the Earth that's moving, then surely all our cities would not be able to stand, and would be razed to the ground with the slightest perturbations!'

And everybody nodded back wide-eyed. Entire generations had to die off before the genius of Copernicus could be properly recognized.

Here's to a real conspiracy theorist!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by bsbray11
This man was the conspiracy theorist of his time.

One of his most famous critics argued, 'If it's the Earth that's moving, then surely all our cities would not be able to stand, and would be razed to the ground with the slightest perturbations!'

And everybody nodded back wide-eyed. Entire generations had to die off before the genius of Copernicus could be properly recognized.

Here's to a real conspiracy theorist!

Well Said mate!

What a cool find, thanks for posting this!

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:14 AM
link   
One correction those saying he was a conspiracy theorist

The big difference is that he evidence and that evidence, the math, could be worked out and observation made from the data.

It was, it was accepted and built on.

It was the evidence folks.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I too would have to say that Copernicus really was one of the true conspiracy theorist's of that time. The suppression of knowledge by the church establishment was all powerful, all encompassing. It is no wonder that this level and intensity of suppression of knowledge would lead to the forming of underground groups of scientific people that would defie the doctrines of the church.

People like Galileo and Bruno who both studied and adopted Copernicus's theorys both paid a high price some 50 years later, Giordano Bruno was found guilty of blasphemy and burned at the stake. Galileo was forced to renounce all belief in Copernican theories, and was thereafter sentenced to imprisonment for the remainder of his days.

The Vatican church while denouncing anything and everything that threaten its hold over the people, activity collected and hoarded everything it could find around the world and locked it away in one of its many underground vaults.

I often wonder if Copernicus had not been able to share his observations with like minded people of his time, how much longer would it have taken before someone else was able to come forward and make known to the world that the church's view of the universe was wrong.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Yeah!!! cell theory baby cell theroy!!!

sorry had to add that becouse of the EVIDENCE

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
The real conspiracy

Was that the Church knew he was right and still prosecuted him and others they did this because they felt that the knowledge of the fact that the Earth was not the center of the universe was a threat to the church and their authority!

If the Earth is not at the Center then God is not at the Center which in Turn means the church is not either.

So who are the real conspirators?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
One correction those saying he was a conspiracy theorist

The big difference is that he evidence and that evidence, the math, could be worked out and observation made from the data.

It was, it was accepted and built on.

By who? Other conspiracy theorists of the time?

Face it. You have a man with a theory that goes against the grain of every expert, and they had "facts" and "evidence" to support their debunking of Copernicus as well (which was all "accepted," as you put it yourself, by virtually everyone!)

Just because we realize he was right in retrospect, does not elevate the way people thought of him back then. You can't change the history of that time after the fact.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by bsbray11]

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Not really, I think you may be confusing parts of Galileo life in with Coperincus.

At original publication, Copernicus' epoch-making book caused only mild controversy, and provoked no fierce sermons about contradicting Holy Scripture. It was only three years later, in 1546, that a Dominican, Giovanni Maria Tolosani, denounced the theory in an appendix to a work defending the absolute truth of Scripture.

It has been much debated why it was not until six decades after Spina and Tolosani's attacks on Copernicus's work that the Catholic Church took any official action against it. Proposed reasons have included the personality of Galileo Galilei and the availability of evidence such as telescope observations.

In March 1616, in connection with the Galileo affair, the Roman Catholic Church's Congregation of the Index issued a decree suspending De revolutionibus until it could be "corrected," on the grounds that the supposedly Pythagorean doctrine[30] that the Earth moves and the Sun doesn't was "false and altogether opposed to Holy Scripture."
ex]

The Church when it did move against the theory didn't use science they used Biblical infalliability as its reason.

Gingerich, Owen (2004). The Book Nobody Read. London: William Heinemann. ISBN 0-434-01315-3.

DeMarco, Peter (2004-04-13). "Book quest took him around the globe". Boston Globe. Retrieved on 2008-01-14.

From the wikipedia article on Copernicus

NC

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Maybe it was Galileo then that I had in mind. Either way, the point is valid that he wasn't accepted, and Copernicus is still just as much of a genius and deserving of our respect.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Yeah I think people get the two mixed up. Like other things the Vatican had 'right wing and left wing' in its policies. Copernicus died just as his book was published so there wasn't much they could do.

Also in Galileo times the Protestant movement was taking on the Vatican and they probably felt they need to take a harder line.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Gilgamesh is next.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Good thread. I read about this in the newspaper a few weeks back, it made me smile, Copernicus has always been a favourite historical figure of mine.

Good points about him being a 'conspiracy theorist' too.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It wasnt a conspiracy theory. A conspiracy is a cover up, in order for it to be that, someone must have known that the Earth wasnt the centre of the Universe, and back then they just didnt know. It's not like the Church covered it up, sure they didnt believe him or it was against what they taught, but it is not like they knew before Kopernik (real spelling) came along and covered it up.

So no, it wasnt a conspiracy.

And for the record, the proper spelling of his name is Mikołaj Kopernik.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quiintus
Gilgamesh is next.

Alexander and Imhotep's would be worth finding too.

Good points Mikeraphone - ah I see from the name that you displayed that you have taken the Polish side in the German vs Polish question. I believe is scientific stuff was in latin. I wonder what language he spoke at home??

From the old wiki

Numerous variants of Copernicus' name are documented. Until the mid-1530s, he mostly signed himself Coppernic. Afterward, he followed the academic custom of his time and adopted a Latinized version of his name. Thus, on the title page of his epochal book, Nicolai Copernici Torinensis De Revolutionibus Orbium Coelestium Libri VI, the astronomer's name appears as Nicolaus Copernicus.

As he himself called himself Coppernic, I'd go with that. Being that he was half German and half Polish - he can be claimed by both.

top topics

join