It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Oldest human brain' discovered

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
A skull containing a yellow, brain-shaped substance has been found in a pit on prehistoric farmland in York, England. “This could be the equivalent of a fossil.

The brain itself would generally not survive. Fatty tissues would be feasted on by microbes,
” said Philip Duffey, a neurologist who examined the skull with CT scans. More images of the find are available here, along with a description of the moment archaeologists realized something was rattling in the skull

Archaeologists have found the remains of what could be Britain's oldest surviving human brain.

The team, excavating a York University site, discovered a skull containing a yellow substance which scans showed to be shrunken, but brain-shaped.

Brains consist of fatty tissue which microbes in the soil would absorb, so neurologists believe the find could be some kind of fossilised brain.
news.bbc.co.uk...

One day they will be able to extract memories and visuals from that brain. Cool.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Nice find

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Search is your friend :-)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Always interesting to find brains
Brain tissue was discovered in a Florida peat bog in the 1980+ in more than 260 human skulls that were estimated to be 8,000 years old.

and

Brain tissue has been found in three human skulls dating back to the second century that were unearthed in 2001 at Tottori Prefecture, researchers said Monday.

plus

And of course the bog bodies have brain remains as does Oetzi who would probably win in a brain weight contest.

.... I guess this is evidence of no brain sucking zombies back then...

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The DNA study will be fascinating. I hope the study makes it out to the general public.

Another interesting find from that same bog was a piece of fabric. These same humans had developed the ability to make fine textiles. I didn't think textiles were around back then.

Wish we had the ability to tap into that brain's memories to see what those folks knew.('
')

[edit on 12/22/2008 by JoeBarna]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JoeBarna

An aside on textile, there are indications of weaving and textile back into the paleolithic but I believe the earliest recovered piece of fabric is a piece of linen from Egypt and dated to 7,000 BP. The earliest representation of textile making is on a piece of pottery called the Badari plate and dates to around 5,600 years ago.

Earlier plaited materials, usually shoes have been found going back 11,000 BP. As noted above there is pottery that has impressions on it of woven materials going back into the paleolithic.

new topics

top topics

join