It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC says conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
What is the mental illness called?

Paranoia!
Good job David Blaine!

Notice your the one implanting the word schizophrenic, not me.

It is impossible to debate someone who takes the subject at hand that personally. I'm sorry that you are so self-conscious of yourself that you bring the debate down to this personal attack level. I think you might be the living breathing example of a personality disorder fueled by a conspiracy website.

Too Funny!

I will repeat something I said long ago. ATS does not need your pathetic attempt at a defense. They have advertisers.

Edit: To add original and concluding point which you completely flooded the last page to avoid.

-Paranoia is a mental health issue.

-Many subjects brought forth on ATS can cause paranoia.

-Therefor ATS contributes to mental health issues.

The thin line is how an individual reacts to the paranoia. There are obviously individuals who can react very negatively to paranoia. Let's not kid ourselves as though everyone is equally capable in dealing with paranoia in a constructive way.

[edit on 12/13/08 by blowfishdl]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Internet censorship would be basically the most disastrous direction people could take. In a most literally Big Brother nation or planet, the freedom-loving pizzaz of names like mine in whatever passes for the popular media would be sorely lacking; if existing at all.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
What is the mental illness called?

Paranoia!
Good job David Blaine!

You still are not reading entire posts. Why is this such a problem for you?????????

This is the fourth time I have had to point out what I already said in the very posts you respond to.

PARANOIA IS NOT A MENTAL ILLNESS

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
Edit: To add original and concluding point which you completely flooded the last page to avoid.

-Paranoia is a mental health issue.

-Many subjects brought forth on ATS can cause paranoia.

-Therefor ATS contributes to mental health issues.

The thin line is how an individual reacts to the paranoia. There are obviously individuals who can react very negatively to paranoia. Let's not kid ourselves as though everyone is equally capable in dealing with paranoia in a constructive way.

[edit on 12/13/08 by blowfishdl]

You really need to brush up on your reading skills.

Go back one page and 3rd from the bottom. You can clearly see the exact same quotes that you repeated here and my response to them that you claim I failed to make.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I had mental health issues before I joined ATS. So hah.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Let me give you the other side...I think they help sane people cope with all of the bad things that are going on around us. I think they can lead to some pre-event paranoia, and possibly help perpetuate the paranoia to some degree. However, when the said event fails to materialize, many then realize that just because the rumor claiming something is going to happen, doesn't always mean it will.

This happened with me a few months back when I was sure from what I read that we were headed for runs on banks and that the dollar would shortly fail thereafter making for a really bad situation. I went so far as to tell several people I knew to pull out their money from the bank and invest in physical gold & silver. Well it didn't materialize, but I still believe this WILL happen. It is just a question of when.

So, it helped in my case for me to realize that certain events don't necessarily mean certain other events will happen within the claimed time frame.

Of course, this is assuming I'm sane.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This is really funny- a Television Network that implies that "Conspiracy Sites" may foster mental illness. Uh, let's see, now TV - Reality Shows:

FEAR FACTOR
American Idol
Wife-Swap
Big Brother
Dancing with the Stars
Temptation Island

Yup, TV sure has got it's head on straight.

Of course, there's always Jerry Springer- yup- no mental illness there.......

Let's just call it as it is- Television is Losing it's listeners at an alarming rate, as are the newspapers. Look at how many newspapers are declaring bankruptcy.
Even cable networks like CNN had to cut its entire Science staff out.

The Internet is a much more dynamic media, and sites such as ATS give people immediate two way access to news, opinions, AND, most importantly, a way to express their views on what is happening in the world today. As another member posted earlier, mankind is a social animal, and interaction is much healthier, from a mental point of view, than just passively sitting in front of the one-eyed monster, and just accepting the trash that TV tries to push.

For those that aren't familiar with how news networks develop a story, here's the quick and dirty answer-
They decide EXACTLY what to believe FIRST, then they tell their reporters to go out and find things that support their beliefs. Yes, there are a few good reporters that actually report the news as they see it, but a large majority of them, report what they are told to report. It's called collecting a paycheck for another week.

The Internet gives people the freedom to make decisions on their own, something that is hard to do, with network tv, since they usually only report what they want you to hear.

And yes, I am also concerned about the future of a free, uncensored Internet. The PTB do not want you to make decisions on your own. It isn't good for THEIR business.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Oh come on, you forgot shows like Dr. Phil, Extreme Makeover home edition, Celebrity rehab, Look how many freakin kids we have, etc. They are all helpful right?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

Oh come on, you forgot shows like Dr. Phil, Extreme Makeover home edition, Celebrity rehab, Look how many freakin kids we have, etc. They are all helpful right?

I apologize you are right. They are really very helpful. However, it's always bothered me that these Celebrities on TV all seem to need rehab. If TV is so healthy from a mental point of view, why do they need rehab?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

"It's right there in plain text. Abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. I would most definitely argue that that is an attribute to believing some of the crazy things that get thrown out here. "It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid, or bizarre delusions", as though reading about ghosts, cover-ups, 9/11 conspiracy, people living in inner earth, Nibiru would not further promote such mental inconsistency?"

Sounds just like what GWB experienced before attacking Iraq.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

I apologize you are right. They are really very helpful. However, it's always bothered me that these Celebrities on TV all seem to need rehab. If TV is so healthy from a mental point of view, why do they need rehab?

Because it earns them enough money for more drugs.

The same reason Dr. Phil damages every person to cross his stage. A rich docter has chronically ill patients!

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well its the beginning and furtherance of the long while. though we are already under attack causes some conspiracy forums are controlled like by the government and stuff.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I think I've said this before but somebody's getting ready to introduce some new legislatioonnnnn.

As for the "ATS causes paranoia crowd",
Ha-ha!
I'm not paranoid!
I'm not paranoid!
I'm not paranoid!

Now where's my tin foil hat?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

"Paranoia" is a Personality Disorder, although it is officially called paranoid personality disorder. It is listed under Axis II of the DSM IV, which is the official diagnostic manual of the APA. So, presently paranoia is a mental disorder.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Paranoia = Greek: beyond mind, out of mind.

Paranoid is a person who interprets perception and/or information in such a way that renders himself at mercy of all external and internal activity. It is a person who has no clue or measure and thus is unable to have any control of his thoughts or emotions. Such person is exceptionally reactive to all input.

Paranoid person will see people talk and believe that they all talk about him, and that others intentionally do things which remain secret to him, and are known to everybody else. All perception and information is thus egocentric and experienced as an impact which causes violent reaction, both introvert or extrovert.

Being paranoid is to feel extremely stupid and clueless. Such person literally doesn't have a mind of his own.

If such person exposes himself to the web site like ATS it will try to interpret everything written as aiming at him, an will try to read the secret agenda beyond the apparent meaning.

Paranoid person who is a member of ATS forum will attempt to respond to all postings with a defensive attitude attempting to eliminate every possibility that those postings are "aiming" at him.

So lets help such paranoid members of ATS by ignoring them, because even if we agree with them they will think that we are doing so with some hidden purpose to confuse them even more.

What paranoid persons need the most is to be left alone so they can put their pieces together and release themselves from the grip of paralysis.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Conspiracy websites most definitely do contribute to mental health issues.

It's like Timothy McVeigh bombed the Murrah building because of atrocities in the Army.

How would it be any different if some highly classified document linking the U.S. Military to 9/11 got in the hands of a violent domestic terrorist?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
If conspiracy sites are not to be allowed, then they should start by banning ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and the other major news centers like that for the conspiracy they are perpetrating by being a part of the status quo setup that tries to control what information they try to spoon feed us. This is my own private personal opinion, and one that I feel that most members of ATA/BTS would agree with.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by DangerDeath
Paranoid person who is a member of ATS forum will attempt to respond to all postings with a defensive attitude attempting to eliminate every possibility that those postings are "aiming" at him.

Whatever. You don't know anything about me!

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wally Conley
If conspiracy sites are not to be allowed, then they should start by banning ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CNN, MSNBC, and the other major news centers like that for the conspiracy they are perpetrating by being a part of the status quo setup that tries to control what information they try to spoon feed us. This is my own private personal opinion, and one that I feel that most members of ATA/BTS would agree with.

This is the problem with all of you. The subject is the effects of conspiracy websites and your ranting about Internet Censorship. Nowhere in this article did they claim the solution is to shut down these websites. They even admit there is more research to be done on the topic at hand. The statement the article is making is that it most definitely opens the door to new challenges for psychotherapists.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

"Paranoia" is a Personality Disorder, although it is officially called paranoid personality disorder. It is listed under Axis II of the DSM IV, which is the official diagnostic manual of the APA. So, presently paranoia is a mental disorder.

Interesting bridge you make there. So talking to yourself is the same as disassociative personality disorder? Being short tempered is now exhibiting anti-social behavior? Look up the word paranoid, read the definition to yourself. Now check the symptoms of paranoid personality disorder again.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join