It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC says conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zapataman
Ohhhh really ABC, in that case maybe no one should watch Disney movies(ABC). In which they show talking animals, monsters, magical creatures, talking robots, among many other things. National Treasure the movie it self is a movie about conspiracies, you wouldnt want to develop a mental illness from watching these would you?

Haha, You're right!

Movies do seem to have an ill effect on the more-or-less mentally unstable.

The comment about national treasure is pretty funny, seeing how a lot of people get their ideas from movies too. I'm sure everyone has seen these types of threads here on ATS:

"Are we living in the MATRIX" ?

"Was the cell phone tracking system in BATMAN to indoctrinate the public on tracking?"

"A real STARGATE in Antarctica!" or "Is this a STARGATE?"

"The Aliens in STAR WARS were based on real Aliens!"

"The moon is a real DEATHSTAR!"

"THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL is a complete globalist agenda!"

Of course, that's just a few, and I can't be bothered to search more than 2 minutes for a few links.

... of course, the whole point of the article is that the mentally unstable will see anything from the mailman, taxi cabs, movies, or conspiracy theories as some hidden form of reality that is controlling something or hunting them down.

edit: I may as well add that a bunch of people get their ideas of reality from.... A BOOK! (ahem)

[edit on 13-12-2008 by logician magician]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Diplomat
There's nothing we can even do now. Most average American idiots would agree that "nutjob conspiracy sites" should be outlawed. The Internet as we know it will not last much longer... it will be completely controlled and censored soon...

I certainly do not believe in Internet Censorship, and ABC is not threatened by the popularity of these sites either I might add.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I can definitely see how visiting a conspiracy site might induce general paranoia across a population, but on the other hand, an open mind is a healthy mind.

Surely, if I can differentiate, the producers at ABC can too. Unless of course this is some sort of ironic campaign by the government to further slander us open minded individuals (read: a conspiracy).

[edit on 12/13/2008 by prototism]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by prototism
I can definitely see how visiting a conspiracy site might induce general paranoia across a population, but on the other hand, an open mind is a healthy mind.

Surely, if I can differentiate, the producers at ABC can too. Unless of course this is some sort of ironic campaign by the government to further slander us open minded individuals (read: a conspiracy).

[edit on 12/13/2008 by prototism]

I'm not defending the idea that we are all crazy just for everyone's clarification. ABC did not intend to say this either.

The problem lies with people who are already mentally ill. If you have suicidal/murderous tendencies and you log on and see the world is going to end, reptillians are ruling the world, and the government killed all the people on 9/11 intentionally... well I think that's a solid recipe for disaster.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
reply to post by angel of lightangelo

Somebody needs to sit you down and go over with this with you. You began arguing that they denied his success. Quit derailing this thread and stay on topic.

Oh, I did not realize that you were trying to prove he was not a success in the '90s. I thought the thread was bout mentally ill people visiting sites such as this one. That is what I was speaking to. What were you trying to do? Prove the article is valid with another opinion about Icke? And you accuse me of derailment? Maybe you would like to sit down with me.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by blowfishdl

Now, correct me if I am wron but addressing the validity of the article is still on topic right?

Ok, my point was, how true could anything be in an article that says.....

Text

and then

Text

I did not say they said he was not a success, I said they claimed he was nothing but a laughing stock in the early'90s when he was already spreading his message quite well. Please keep up with me as I am sticking to the actual topic athand here, ok.

Again, I would love an answer to what kind of person wrote this article that is "decades" after the '90s. I guess you could actuall address both of those points as I asked or just insult me and accuse me or derailing again beause you missed the point.

Yes he was a success later in life and they admit that. He was already spreading his word all over the world in the early '90s. Do you see the difference there?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

According to MacDonald, most delusions begin with general, unexplained feelings of discontent that are caused by a problem with the brain. It's only when someone tries to search for an explanation for their feelings that a delusion forms.

"Then over time, the delusions become crystallized -- meaning they take on particular narratives, story lines and people's motives begin to be fleshed out," said MacDonald. "When one thing isn't explained, it's never abandoned. The plot just thickens ... and you credit your persecutor with a tremendous amount of power."

MacDonald said it can make it difficult to do talk therapy when delusional people feed their story from outside sources or find evidence with other conspiracy plots.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

MacDonald said it can make it difficult to do talk therapy when delusional people feed their story from outside sources or find evidence with other conspiracy plots.

You are reading this stuff right? This says the people who have already develope recognizable symptoms of the disease are finding each other and making each other worse. It is not saying anything about this brign the symptoms on. Besides that -WHERE ARE THE *snip* STATS ALREADY????????? I tried asking nicely a couple times there. I would like to see the numbers they used to come to this conclusion. Are there more cases of schizophrenia now than 20 years ago? Are cases more severe? Is there anything other the article writers idea of what reality is?

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Dec 13 2008 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   

You did read the article right?

The Internet has always been a forum for fringe ideas, but success like Icke's, and subcultures built on paranoid theories like gang stalkers, points to an understudied corner in psychiatry: Who are the people who believe such theories in the quiet of their homes, and what does such behavior mean for a person teetering on the edge of mental illness?

"It's not an area that has been studied very well," said Angus MacDonald, a spokesperson for the mental health charity NARSAD, and an associate professor of psychology at the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis.

MacDonald cautioned that not everyone who believes in a conspiracy plot is mentally ill. They just may be suggestible or just suspicious of authority.

For the healthy in mind, MacDonald said, "it's a wild card about whether this is going to improve people's state or not. It may turn out that the value of the community is greater than the destructive nature of the narratives that are spun out of them.

"It's not an area that has been studied very well," said Angus MacDonald

I will obviously not argue the lack of physical evidence. It is in my own opinion that if you take a paranoid schizophrenic and mix him in with political conspiracies his paranoid schizophrenia can easily lead to destructive behavior and worsening effects of paranoia. Political conspiracies aside, reading that the voices in your head could be the government, ghosts, or monsters may lead to medicated individuals quitting their medication in order to invite this voice phenomenon with the thought they are psychic or communicating with Aliens, etc.

For the healthy in mind, MacDonald said, "it's a wild card about whether this is going to improve people's state or not. It may turn out that the value of the community is greater than the destructive nature of the narratives that are spun out of them.

This is an important statement to take into consideration. He mentions that the community isn't necessarily a negative aspect in the individuals life, but instead the information that is taken individually out of the conspiracy's can develop in an individual's mind.

Let's put it to example. Frank is a paranoid schizophrenic who isn't registered here on ATS but likes to read the stories. He reads that the government is listening to his cell phone. This freaks him out. Then one day, his cell phone bugs out and makes some crazy noises. Now, the government isn't just watching 'people' in general, the government is now watching him. I believe it is obvious that is a negative effect on a mentally ill individual from conspiracy theory's.

Much worst things could happen considering the wide variety of conspiracies which reach the internet, and an unlimited variety of people reading these conspiracies. If it can happen to one individual, then the statement is indeed true.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Do you know much about psychological disorders? I am not sure why anyone would argue so vehemently for an article that is nothing more than one man's opinions. That is it! There has been paranoid schizophrenia long before the Internet so unless there is some change in the pattern, this is a pointless collection of one man's fact-less conjecture. You did read it right?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by angel of lightangelo

Do you know much about psychological disorders? I am not sure why anyone would argue so vehemently for an article that is nothing more than one man's opinions. That is it! There has been paranoid schizophrenia long before the Internet so unless there is some change in the pattern, this is a pointless collection of one man's fact-less conjecture. You did read it right?

I would appreciate it if you would debate against my responses rather than continually posting your blatantly redundant opinion.

Let me sum it up in an easy question for you...

Would a paranoid schizophrenic benefit from knowing the 9/11 conspiracy, or would a paranoid schizophrenic become increasingly paranoid knowing the 9/11 conspiracy?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

I would appreciate it if you would debate against my responses rather than continually posting your blatantly redundant opinion.

I think I can handle this really easily for you.

Would a paranoid schizophrenic benefit from knowing the 9/11 conspiracy, or would a paranoid schizophrenic become increasingly paranoid knowing the 9/11 conspiracy?

Would a paranoid schizophrenic be any worse off by reading 100 9/11 websites than he would be by hearing someone whispering in a restaraunt?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I think I can handle this really easily for you.

Would a paranoid schizophrenic be any worse off by reading 100 9/11 websites than he would be by hearing someone whispering in a restaraunt?

It's not a question of WHERE he heard the conspiracy theory. A website is one of many sources. You failed to answer the easiest of questions.

So once again, and I open the floor to anyone who is brave enough to answer this question.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
*snip*

Studies especially publicized ones with controversial findings make for GREAT HEADLINES...which SELL STORY'S ACCENT on SELL.
Media today titillates rather than informs...information is useful and usually boring...whereas a study which shows the male tste fly has a sex organ twice the length of his body..opens up some interesting conversational U turns
Lets play devils advocate...if you wanted to discredit sites which sponsor alternate views would it make sense to sponsor a study and create a linkage to mental illness...of course it would...but Qui Bono? Who Benefits.? Why the people who are in the business of hiding the truth...> This study..and its publication are suspect from the word go..it has PSY OP written all over it.
Don't use alternative media sources or websites... studies show they are linked to mental illness...WELL HERES MY 2 CENTS...MENTAL WELLNESS is a HIGHLY SUBJECTIVE ISSUE...WHO DECIDES...ASK AN ABORIGINE from Australia he will tell you...WE ARE ALL CRAZY..and from time to time I have to consider the aboriginal viewpoint..and conclude after looking around at this and other CIVILIZED country's HE MAY WELL BE RIGHT..

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Sat Dec 13 2008 by Jbird]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SUNRAY06

Wow,.. a bit caught off guard by your post but can you answer my question?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

It's not a question of WHERE he heard the conspiracy theory. A website is one of many sources. You failed to answer the easiest of questions.

Sigh. I am having trouble getting across to you. I never said they were whispering about 9/11. I just said whispering. How much do you know about paranoid schizophrenia? What triggers it? What the symptoms are? What it takes to make a proper diagnosis? I will explain it again for you, I promise!

So once again, and I open the floor to anyone who is brave enough to answer this question.

This is my answer. Do you have any reason to believe that a paranoid schizophrenic person would be any better or worse off reading websites about 9/11 or waking through the park?

I used to have this great DVD here. It is a case study. They followed a PS for weeks. He was a homeless man. Making a long story short, as he guided the cameraman throughout the subway, he explained how there were hidden cameras in each of the garbage cans trained on him and him alone. He explained how tracking pidgeons and stray cats/dogs were actually trained spy tools used to track and watch him. He ended up breaking his glasses that he severely needed. Now he was homless and blind. He could have gotten them fixed for free but he refused because the least time he had his glasses fixed, "they hid a microphone, camera, and tracking device in them."
Here is what I meant about "whispering." Much like the gang stalking "victims" anyone talking to someone else far enough from earshot to prevent making out the words, was in on it, spying, stalking, harassing, just talking about, EVERYONE
Do you want to guess what crazy conspiracy websites made him this bad? Want to guess which ones told him about the cameras and tracking devices? Now, this was made in 1978 so you might have troube guessing correctly.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

See above post. Of course knowing about it would not help. Not anymore than walking outside their house or accidentally dialing their number wrong or being a neighbor or driving behind them in traffic....etc

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

This is my answer. Do you have any reason to believe that a paranoid schizophrenic person would be any better or worse off reading websites about 9/11 or waking through the park?

That's not an answer, that's a question. Unlike you, I will gladly answer your question. A schizophrenic person is much better off walking through the park. You don't have to major in psychology to understand this. I have taken several psychology courses, but such knowledge is entirely unnecessary to answer your question.

So are you ever going to answer mine?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

That's not an answer, that's a question. Unlike you, I will gladly answer your question.

You do not think it is an answer because it is a question. That is the point, in order to answer your silly premise, we first must establish the baseline which makes it true don't we? You cannot begin with wild conjecture, ignore many factors and then challenge someone to fit their logic into your premise. Reality does not work that way, I am sorry.

A schizophrenic person is much better off walking through the park. You don't have to major in psychology to understand this.

Perhaps you should get one and you would not say such ignorant things.

I have taken several psychology courses, but such knowledge is entirely unnecessary to answer your question.

LOL, that is aweseom. Lets see, I took up to Calc so that is what 4 yrs of high school math and 8 primary, plus 4 years of various types of math and logic in college. That is 16 math course I have taken. Want me to do your taxes. I am a bit dyslexic so I transpose numbers sometimes but 16 math courses WHOO!

By the way, I took a little psychology too. Care to guess how many courses or forget bored housewife nightschool bragging all together? I really hope you know how silly a thing that even is to think of saying, let alone post.

So are you ever going to answer mine?

What answer do you really want? No he would not be better off reading a website about 9/11 than say sitting strapped to a chair. Are those the alternatives or am I missing some variables. Perhaps you need to flesh this "question" out a little better. Garbage in = garbage out. See your question leads me to so many other questions. I will give you a chance to fix it up and I promise I will answer you.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by angel of lightangelo]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Two words. Pissing contest. Let's answer this one for you as I see your having some trouble.

Q: Would a paranoid schizophrenic benefit from knowing the 9/11 conspiracy, or would a paranoid schizophrenic become increasingly paranoid knowing the 9/11 conspiracy?

A: A paranoid schizophrenic would become increasingly paranoid with the thought that the government would murder 2,000 innocent civilians and government workers to execute a run for a One World Government.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join