It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ABC says conspiracy web sites are contributing to mental health issues

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
I completely agree with ABC.

Think about it. If you have pre-existing paranoia or schizophrenia your going to be further paranoid and schizophrenia by reading about some jack-off's prediction as to what might happen in 2012.

If you really agree with ABC then you're more than welcome to cancel your ATS account.

Always a one-liner.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The very first question that comes to mind after reading this thread, is this:

How will the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine under Obama affect sites like ATS?

The Fairness Doctrine was the first thing that came to my mind also. Those who don't think reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine being such a big deal might think otherwise when the PTB decide to expand it from talk radio to satellite radio to internet web sites. The further we get into the new millenium, the closer we are getting to 1984.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by sos37]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Think about it. If you have pre-existing paranoia or schizophrenia your going to be further paranoid and schizophrenia by reading about some jack-off's prediction as to what might happen in 2012.

If you really agree with ABC then you're more than welcome to cancel your ATS account.

Always a one-liner.

you would advise a schizophrenic to read ATS?

that's dangerous.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConservativeJack

Always a one-liner.

that's dangerous.

Okay, so for now it's schizophrenia. Next it'll be depression. Then all mental health conditions, no matter how small. Then the line gets completely blurred. Where does it end once you start censoring?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ConservativeJack

Always a one-liner.

that's dangerous.

Okay, so for now it's schizophrenia. Next it'll be depression. Then all mental health conditions, no matter how small. Then the line gets completely blurred. Where does it end once you start censoring?

Maybe require a LICENSE to get on the internet because it is a
information highway. Only for people 18 years / older. Keep the information in the libraries minors don't need to be on the internet ANYWAY.

The guy from Justin.tv, he had some "mental health" issues, (DEPRESSION), and he was EGGED on to end his own life by A MOB.

Now you tell his mother about censoring.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by ConservativeJack]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
A paranoid schizophrenic will most likely believe what they think is true. My feeling is that Youtube is far worse than any other media for confusing people and supporting their attentions. A reasonable person or 'one who wants to be' will read both points of view here. People who are freaking out will take anything and twist it around also. A skeptic may take someone else's information/link and call it the truth as if more credible.

I've noticed lately what appears to be certain information dropping off of the internet I used to find easily. Is that another conspiracy and coverup? Maybe, maybe not.

Disinfo agents take many forms.

ATS is a far better place to think things through than at some bar or street corner or at work. Anyone here getting paid to be on here that doesn't work for ATS? Maybe.

Just about everyone who comes on here probably has mental health issues in some way. (deny ignorance?)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think the things that happen in the world (such as actual conspiracies that we talk about here) are contributing to mental health issues. This is just an attempt to put the blame elsewhere. Maybe if people would stop conspiring in the first place then we'd all be more healthy mentally.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The article is still available...and I posted a comment to let people know that they should come here to see that we aren't all crazy...

Uhh, speak for yourself!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Ya know, I've always 'heard' that once you put something on the internet, it is there forever. But lately, especially when trying to find things on our Illegal Alien in Chief, the sites have vanished. How are they pulling sites and blogs and such?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Always a one-liner.

Always attacked once I step away from the computer.

Let me explain something to you buddy. If you read my entire post then you would understand that I did not claim to be a paranoid schizophrenic. I claimed anyone who is should stay far away from this website. Why? Because all forums are filled with BS and ATS is especially filled with BS. Anyone who says otherwise would believe you if you told them there's a little man living inside their head. Your response clearly shows your being defensive of the site, and obviously felt like you were attacked for being a part of such a community. ATS needs not your petty defense, they have advertisers.

I will revert back to my original point which was so foolishly ignored by your ignorant rhetorical response...

A mental illness defines an extremely wide variety of issues that one can be experiencing. The most prevalent for this arguement is paranoia. Whether factual or fiction many stories on here incite paranoia. Therefor, conspiracy theory websites contribute to mental issues.

The arguement to whether or not the mental illness is pre-existing is similar to punching a brick wall. Nobody wins. The point is that they do exist. Anyone that says mental illness' are fiction should be evaluated themselves.

Another example is obviously as I mentioned before Schizophrenia. Let's define this mental illness for the sake of the arguement.

Schizophrenia (pronounced /ˌskɪtsəˈfrɛniə/ or /ˌskɪtsəˈfriːniə/), from the Greek roots schizein (σχίζειν, "to split") and phrēn, phren- (φρήν, φρεν-, "mind") is a severe and disabling brain disorder[1][2][3] characterized by abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid or bizarre delusions, or disorganized speech and thinking with significant social or occupational dysfunction. Onset of symptoms typically occurs in young adulthood,[4] with approximately 0.4–0.6%[5][6] of the population affected. Diagnosis is based on the patient's self-reported experiences and observed behavior. No laboratory test for schizophrenia currently exists.[7]
Source: Wikipedia

It's right there in plain text. Abnormalities in the perception or expression of reality. I would most definitely argue that that is an attribute to believing some of the crazy things that get thrown out here. "It most commonly manifests as auditory hallucinations, paranoid, or bizarre delusions", as though reading about ghosts, cover-ups, 9/11 conspiracy, people living in inner earth, Nibiru would not further promote such mental inconsistency?

I would sincerely advise the opposing force to ABC's conclusion to not only fact-check back with ABC regarding their fully capable research team, but to also do their own research regarding the situation of individuals with mental illness'. The case seems plain as day to me that ABC hit one right on the nose, and unfortunately people like you sos37 took it personally.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Gregarious

I don't know what the statistics are on sites that are discontinued. It is odd that they 'seem' to completely disappear. No doubt someone will come up with a legitimate answer.

Some people who've posted here that believe they have the last answer on mental health issues and as to who should be here are themselves delusional. I've noticed what appears to be people who come here that have more obvious issues.

A post today had another poster actually tell them to leave and they did. Wasn't that a violation of T&C ?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
One might counter their assertion, by saying that ABC news is one of the main contributors of the dumbing down of America. When they've got something to contribute besides entertainment, then I might decide to give them the courtesy of a listen.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Hmmm,will the MSM be telling us next that ATS is backmasking messages from the devil

not a one liner

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Muffinresearch]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
Ohhhh really ABC, in that case maybe no one should watch Disney movies(ABC). In which they show talking animals, monsters, magical creatures, talking robots, among many other things. National Treasure the movie it self is a movie about conspiracies, you wouldnt want to develop a mental illness from watching these would you?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by cindy22761

Cool post! I don't know about the rest of you but ATS actually helps me avoid "mental" health problems I can come on here for an hour or two and detach, be serious when I want to be serious or find threads that would make even the coldest fish laugh. Of course they want to censor the internet the content they are allowed to report is censored so maybe they are jealous

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Zapataman

A star for you and for those who don't agree with you on the disney thing direct them here and they can find all of the mental illness they want limk does not include disney movies.www.anomalies-unlimited.com...

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by cindy22761

This morning ABC had an article implying that conspiracy websites are contributing to mental health issues, therefore they should not be allowed.

I wonder if ABC has realized that the MSM with their constant fear mongering and overemphasis on depressing stories has done far more to cause mental health disorders than sites like ATS. For conspiracy websites, people are looking for them, they want to find them if they are there. The MSM just rams all of the depressing fear filled crap down peoples throats. I guess they have to try and combat independent thought any way they can.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
The very first question that comes to mind after reading this thread, is this:

How will the reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine under Obama affect sites like ATS?

People need to stop listening to right wing talking points because Rush and Hannity have you all scared of something that you do not understand at all. There is no way the fairness doctrine could ever even touch the internet. Please, PLEASE people, educate yourselves on these things and stop listening to talking points. This whole thread is about ABC trying to scare you away from what? The internet? You have no problem getting that. You stand up and point - bad ABC! The media lies! The media cannot be trusted! The media told me to be afraid of the fairness doctrine!

Wait, what? I thought the media lied? Anyway. If you go and educate yourself on the fairness doctrine, you would know it is never going to affect the internet in any way shape or form. Now back to your regularly schedule choice of which propoganda to believe and which to deride. Have fun.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   

The Fairness Doctrine was the first thing that came to my mind also. Those who don't think reinstatement of the Fairness Doctrine being such a big deal might think otherwise when the PTB decide to expand it from talk radio to satellite radio to internet web sites. The further we get into the new millenium, the closer we are getting to 1984.

DENY IGNORANCE
Do any of you really know what the fairness doctrine is?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:38 AM
link   
ABC = Buy this, buy that because those whom we wish you to worship have them.

Anyone ever watch those mindless Morning shows - where crowds stand around clapping, holding signs and worshiping the mindless idiots telling you how to cook, where to buy it, how to recreate, where to go, how to act, dress and what music to listen too? I guess they have fans or groupies that follow the big "show". Maybe they should check their mental status.

All they push is the worship of corporations and their wares. ABC and the rest are responsible for drugging the sheeple with mindless television and indoctrination of being a good consumer.

Now we're exhibiting signs of mental illness because we no longer give a hoot who they are or what they are pushing.

[edit on 13-12-2008 by verylowfrequency]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join