It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The MAN HATIN' CHANNEL, I mean Lifetime, television for women

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The Lifetime Network
Is it attempting to turn housewives into power hungry women who will want to turn the tables on their husbands? Even worse, turn mothers and housewives into angry lesbians?

The Movie "Mercy"

"Starring: Ellen Barkin, Wendy Crewson, Stephen Baldwin

A female detective investigates serial murders and uncovers a world of homosexuality among L.A.'s elite housewives. "

Is the network attempting to ruin marriages by making "original movies" depicting the allure of infedelity?

"...Danielle is a guru when it comes to counseling others on their relationships. But secretly, this got-it-together therapist is sabotaging her own marriage for a scorching hot affair with a sexy young jazz musician..."

If you read about or watch these films, they depict women in "heroic roles and men as demeaning unfaithful and abusing. Every once in a while you get a regular film or where the chick is the "bad guy"--But believe me there is always a good reason for how she got "bad" in the first place. Some guy destroyed her childhood or early life to make her that way.

www.lifetimetv.com...

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Lifetime's movies tend to piss me off sometimes. But men have Spike tv, so I guess that makes up for it. Lifetime always shows guys as low and evil (for the most part) but Spike tv does a lot of showing women just as T&A.

I had to be devils advocate on this one, even though I agree that I don't like the message Lifetime is trying to send.

This is kind of the problem I have with BET. Black Entertainment Television. You'll never see a White Entertainment Television; and even if you did, people would immediately call it racist and call everyone who watches it racist. There's crappy double standards set in the media when it comes to things like this.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   
[partial quote]Originally posted by Faisca

"....This is kind of the problem I have with BET. Black Entertainment Television. You'll never see a White Entertainment Television; and even if you did, people would immediately call it racist and call everyone who watches it racist. There's crappy double standards set in the media when it comes to things like this.

I cant agree with you more,, whats goin on? I know we have free media, but the fact is that this is accepted by society. Society is allowing it. Mainstream is ignoring it . If you had WASP TV, it would cause such an uproar and then it would lead to fines and all that happy horse #

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Lifetime's movies tend to piss me off sometimes. But men have Spike tv, so I guess that makes up for it. Lifetime always shows guys as low and evil (for the most part) but Spike tv does a lot of showing women just as T&A.

and i bet if spike TV started showing movies that depicted woman as cold heartless frigid housewives and made it seem alluring for men to cheat tons of women would get their panties in a twist over it.

if lifetime showed men as beefcakes i wouldnt care, in fact i would love for them to portray us men as sexual objects. beats being stereotyped as being abusive.

how many guys do YOU know who would object to being portrayed as a sex object? yeah thats what i thought.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Prankmonkey you make a good point. If Spike made movies like that feminists would definitely be in an uproar, no doubt about it. I hate the double standard in the media... People who are usually thought of as a minority (blacks, women, etc) get away with whatever they want in movies and on TV. But right, if Spike ever made a movie that portrayed the women as a bad"guy" and condoned men going out and cheating, etc, they'd get tons of crap.

There'll always be this foolish trend because anyone who tries to go against it will be shot down and it will scare off people who would otherwise follow in their footsteps.

(Sorry if this is all gibberish or doesnt make sense, but I'm wicked tired right now and not sure if I'm writing understandable ideas)

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Have you ever watched BET. They have other channels for other groups. Their are white people who are on BET. It's not all about black people, but about all races.:shk:

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Every time I flick past Lifetime, there is always a movie on about how a woman got totally screwed over by her husband/male boss/male relative and cannot get back at them for one reason or another. That is basically the plot for every movie on Lifetime. Then at the end the woman takes the man to court and the judge, who is a female, gives the guy the maximum sentence (which is usually something dumb like community service hours). Also, the woman is so shook up by the man being in the same court room as her that she can't look at him without crying.

Faisca, WET(White Entertainment Television) already exists. It's called every other channel other then BET.

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by BangorangRufio]

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Similar attrocity in UK.......a program called "Loose Women" (chuckle) on every day, basically a group of feminists who talk # for an hour.......er, thats about it, but you can imagine how annoying they are

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Hey! I like Lifetime movies. Well, a few of them like, "A Matter of Justice."

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Lifetime is a channel that deal with real life issues in relation to women, or at least that what they advertise, personally I do not like the programs it offer and I don't watch it either.

posted on Jun, 19 2004 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Lifetime = Men are bad. Become lesbian. # men.

That's it.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I don't see a problem here. Like it's been said, there are many channels that appeal to different people. Why not have a channel dedicated to the rotten bastid that is man? Lots of divorced women out there. I just want it noted that my wife NEVER watches that channel, well, not yet.

posted on Jun, 20 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Bleeeeccchhhhhkkkk !!!

One females opinion:

The Lifetime channel SUCKS !!! I don't find it to be particularly male-bashing though. What I hate are the cutesy-dumbass Hallmark geeting card crap that goes on. Dry-boring-depressing, what used to be Movie-of-the-week cancer dramas. Garbage like that.

I DO enjoy, however, A Baby Story and a Wedding Story. These shows are sooooo romantic..siggghhhh

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
If you watch the Lifetime Channel, you discover why all the women who watch that TV channel are depressed all the time. Those movies are so depressing!

Personally, I don't find anything that's depressing or emotionally upsetting entertaining. I like to laugh and go "Wow!" when I'm being entertained. In other words, I get enough reality in the real world. Give me my comedy and science fiction when I'm watching TV and movies!

But, each to their own. This is a free market economy, and obviously there's a market for these depressing movies, or else Lifetime wouldn't be so wildly successful. So, best of luck to the Lifetime Channel! I'll be watching something more uplifting though...

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
TC, agree with every word. I know the Jusice League, one question, who's the guy in the upper left of your avatar?

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
TC, agree with every word. I know the Jusice League, one question, who's the guy in the upper left of your avatar?

Glad you asked!

J�onn J�onzz is the last survivor of an ancient Martian species. He is a telepath who can use his uncanny shape-shifting abilities to adapt and blend into any situation. By altering his physical density, he can also become immaterial and pass through solid objects. Because he comes from a cold barren planet, exposure to intense heat can weaken him.

J�onzz came to Earth to warn us of an invasion by the evil race that wiped out his own people on Mars. Although he was met with suspicion and hostility, J�onzz refused to give up, and helped to gather together a group of heroes who could repel the Invaders. This group would become the Justice League. After the Invaders were defeated, J�onzz remained on Earth because, as the last of his kind, he no longer had a home. The other members of the Justice League try to make him feel welcome, but he always remains aloof, detached, and inscrutable.

For more info, see justice.aifandom.com... . This site is updated frequently!

posted on Jun, 22 2004 @ 07:57 PM
link   
LOL, maynardsthirdeye, you're not alone on that one. The hubby always settles on Lifetime's movie channel for some reason. As for me, I don't watch it.

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Hmmm...I never thought of TLC as the Man-Hating channel, but I like the ring to it. Trading Spaces is alright. Has anybody here seen Most Extreme Elimination Challenge on Spike?

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
When I learn how to use the V Chip I'm gonna block that racist man hating garbage. It's one tear jerker after another followed by the life time trademark that "smart men are evil and all other men are doormats who should be pitied." Total trash!

posted on Jul, 3 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by BangorangRufio

WET(White Entertainment Television) already exists. It's called every other channel other then BET.

[Edited on 5-4-2004 by BangorangRufio]

Hey don't forget UPN!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join