It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oldest human brain unearthed in York

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Oldest human brain unearthed in York

news.sky.com

The Iron Age brain, which is at least 2,000 years old, was spotted inside a skull found in a muddy pit during excavations in the Heslington area of York.

The brain was discovered in an area of extensive prehistoric farming landscape of fields, trackways and buildings dating back to at least 300BC.

It is believed the skull may have been a ritual offering.

It is believed to be one of the oldest to be found anywhere in the world.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.24hourmuseum.org.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 12/12/2008 by Freelancer]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
carbon-dating tests on the skull is still underway, however, the area of the Dig is of the era of the Romans, so this could well be a monumental find in Roman Archaeology here in the UK.

From various accounts no soft tissue was found on this decapitated skull yet some of the brain material still remains?

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

I can't imagine what use this would possibly have in science. What could they hope to find any different? Is the brain going to prove we're more evolved now? I have my doubts. Oh boy, a brain that's now a rock? It's actually more funny and ironic than anything else. I'll be waiting for these results just to be sure.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
The brain will be analysed for traces of DNA, evidence of pathology, and for clues to how exactly it was preserved. Did the brain contain a chemical that inhibited the natural rotting process that effects the rest of the soft tissues?.

Looking for previous finds of brains found dating back 100's of years I found the following snippet of news that I found interesting..

A report dated February 1995

Fifteen medieval human brains, shrunken but still recognisable and `spongey' to the touch, have been found inside skulls in graves at the site of the Augustinian Friary in Hull.

Source

Seems York is a great place to find preserved ancient brains.

[edit on 12/12/2008 by Freelancer]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
depending on the conditionof the tissue, with the new brain imaging tech, they might be able to recreate the memories, or maybe some RV time traveling to find more about this person

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I seriously doubt a remote viewer needs someone's brain to remote view their past if they were any good at all. The idea that there would be residual memories stored there sounds like an episode of Fringe. If remote viewers were tapped to see what they see and even enhanced for better clarity, than that might be something. Psychic impressions of old objects etc. are another.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Freelancer

Why don't they make the brain work again to solve all the global financial problems for good?

top topics

join