It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweet dreams? Scientists could soon be able to watch them on a screen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
Have you been dreaming of a white Christmas? Scientists could soon watch it on a screen.

Have you been dreaming of a white Christmas? Scientists may soon be able to show your winter scene on a computer screen once you've drifted into a peaceful slumber. A Japanese research team has successfully processed and displayed images directly from the human brain, they said in a study to be published in the US magazine Neuron. While the researchers at the ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have only reproduced simple images from the brain, they said the technology could eventually be used to display dreams.

Scientist want to display your dreams (link)

I don't know about you folks, but I could see a whole lot of interesting scenarios with such a device. What a great way to be able to recall an event that we dream. I could also see this as a means for something perhaps sinister if used in the hands of say someone trying to extract information.

Still I think it would be pretty neat to be able to watch on a TV whatever it was I had dreamed the night before.

Below is the actual link to the Research group that developed this new technology.

Department of Cognitive Neuroscience

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Wingz]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
That would be interesting, I think that it would do a lot of good in many areas. From psychology to entertainment could bennifit from this technology. Imagine how YouTube would flourish when people can start uploading their dreams so that everyone can see?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
That would be interesting, I think that it would do a lot of good in many areas. From psychology to entertainment could bennifit from this technology. Imagine how YouTube would flourish when people can start uploading their dreams so that everyone can see?

LOL

I hadn't thought of that, yes, I could see a new pass time of people posting their dreams up on YouTube.

I also wonder if something like this in the hands of say some nefarious three lettered agency would use such a device to be able to passively retrieve information from a suspect, (of course this is the conspiratorial side of me coming out). Think about it, without the use of torture, one could in sense scan one's dreams to see if they had any classified information.

I know, way out of the box thinking, but sometimes thats the way my brain works unfortunately.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Oh, neat! That means I don't have to forget my dreams in detail. If there is a technology available, I'd like one so I could re-view what happened in my dreams for later analysis.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
That sounds pretty amazing...but just imagine the opposite end of the technology.

Eventually if they are able to display dreams on a computer monitor then that would likely mean that they will be able to plant dreams...thoughts...memories into the human mind as well.

Talk about your ultimate digital experience...they will be able to run computer based programs and scenarios into your unconscious mind while you sleep.

Very Matrixesque....sort of like in Dark City when the alien beings harvested peoples thoughts and memories and kept altering reality.

I think I just blew my own mind..lol.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

Implanting dreams? Now there is a scenario I had not considered, interesting concept.

As I was mulling this whole new technology concept over, I wondered upon this thought. I wonder if this could be used as a tool for possible or supposed "abduction scenarios"? Think about it, one could, in essence now perhaps be able to verify (or dismiss) that they had one (one being a actual event phenomena).

Yes the more I think about this, the more my mind wanders to other possibilities.

top topics

join