It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whoops!.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   

'Shock and agony': Dangerous airlift rescue for injured explorer Bear Grylls after Antarctic fall

Adventurer Bear Grylls was in agony yesterday as he waited to be airlifted to hospital after breaking his shoulder on a 9,000ft mountain in Antarctica.

The 34-year-old television presenter suffered a serious shoulder injury while climbing an ice mountain in the far north of the freezing continent.

The accident happened whilst Grylls was preparing to spend the Friday night in a bivouac suspended on a ice shelf.

www.mailonsunday.co.uk

Genuinely wishing a speedy recovery to the guy.

I dunno if anyone else here has broken bones in sub-zero temps but it hurts like a *_"!&*

I was a little happier that he was described as an 'adventurer' in this article,rather than a 'survivalist',as nothing he does promotes a longer lifespan.

Ok now for the obligatory P-taking.

Possible conspiracy angle as he was promoting greener fuels on this expedition.Hmmm

Was he..
A, pushed by big oil secret operative.
B, pushed by member of his support team for chewing bugs with his mouth open.
C, pushed by film crew sick of him talking in his 'adventure' voice.

Or maybe just a slip on the way back to his 5-star igloo.

Logistics for Grylls' trip were organised by White Desert, a UK-based LUXURY adventure travel company

(Caps mine.)

Get well soon,it wouldn't be the same without you.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by AGENT_T]

[edit: fixed long link]

[edit on 12-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I prefer Mr Gryls over Ray Mears he appears to be more of the "real thing" I watched an episode of Mr mears show when he was in Canada, He and his team had to undertake this very long trek through scrub and overgrown woodland to meet some colleagues and guests. When they eventually " arrived" after this supposed long hike Mr Mears boots looked as though they had just come out of the box. However I still think the Antipodean chap Major Les Hiddins is the best out of the lot, no airs or graces, no " me me me " attitude, just boat loads of skill and experience.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
LMAO at the second picture down and the caption. I'm sorry but a born survivor just doesn't go to a desert island and
a) wear sneakers
b) wear a suit
c) TAKE A KNIFE!

"The accident happened whilst Grylls was preparing to spend the Friday night in a bivoaucing suspended on a ice shelf.

Was he trying to entice a lady friend to spend the night on the ice shelf with him?

Although he was in severe pain, his back up team took the decision to wait until until Saturday morning before evacuating him to their Antarctic basecamp.

He must be a royal pain in the .......................

Grylls was in Antarctica for a trip designed to improve the green credentials of bio-fuels. His four-man team is being sponsored by biofuel company Ethanol Ventures.

This guy sounds likea real idiot. He is a tv presenter, sas, born survivor and trying to promote green credentials for bio-fuels. Well bio-fuels aren't even needed as the technology already exists to have all transport run for 300-500 years without stopping - magnetic motor. The other alternative to quickly change fuel is changing everything to electric motors. I truly dislike people that promote ways of the old when they know better.

Bear Grylls - whose real first name is Edward - left the Territorial Army's SAS regiment after a parachute jump in which parachute failed to fully open. Amazingly he survived with three broken vertebrae.

If he can't even pack his own parachute properly, then who the hells idea was it for him to tag along on this mission?

Grylls has also been criticised by rival survival expert Ray Mears who branded him a 'Boy Scout' and a 'showman'.

More like a born idiot! LMAO

I probably give the guy too little respect, but seriously, shouldn't he now be a spalttered tomato!?!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by kingdogol

W you taking the **** outta Bear Grylls he is a LEGEND seriously hes accomplished so much in his life so far and alot more than most could even dream of doing so give him a break

Go Bear Grylls i wish him a speedy recovery

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti - Government
reply to post by kingdogol

W you taking the **** outta Bear Grylls

Yeah man I was, I was lmao so much while typing that first reply. I never knew of him before I found this thread, though I still think he's just in it for the money and to make a bigger name for himself. Maybe he just doesn't know of this new hidden/suppressed technology. Maybe considering you're such a fan you'd consider showing him a few movies/documents with 'new' technology that he could promote on his next death defying mission!?!
lmao

Maybe he can free fall from the Moon to Earth and see if he gets taken out by any asteroids on the way down.
ROFLMAO
Or maybe we can put him in a cannon, like at the circus, and fire him into an oncoming meteor shower, just to see if he can break the other shoulder. PMSL, ROFLMAO

This took ten minutes to type cause the cannon part just had me crying so hard with laughter.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
True "survivalist" style... When in trouble... Call a helocopter!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Wonder what Stroud would have done had it been him?

I have never liked Bear, from day one. His show has the ability to give people the false sense of comfort in some really bad enviroments. He passes his show off as survival, when he never teaches you anything of use.

I used to watch it just for a good laugh, but then I realized there are people who take this nut seriously and could wind up very dead with some of the advice he gives.

Its too bad he broke his shoulder, that had to hurt bad down in Antartica. But he shouldnt complain too much. He is paid to produce a show, chartered around, and has a crew on hand to help him when he falls down.

With a little luck this will postpone his new season until the temps warm up and fewer people will have a chance to use his advice in freezing conditions.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I too like les stroud, but what ever happened to the guy from the early nineties the bush tucker man ????

I do hope bear gets better soon and maybe he may be a little more careful in the future. LOL

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
While I do hope that Bear has a speedy recovery - doesn't it defeat the purpose of his show for him to be airlifted and taken to the hospital? Isn't the entire purpose of the show to teach you how to survive under horrific conditions? Most people that find themselves stranded probably are wounded so it would have been much more realistic if he had endured the pain and found his way to civilization with his injury.

Again, I do hope that he has a speedy recovery. Man Vs. Wild is one of the few family-friendly shows on TV these days so I greatly appreciate the show and what he puts himself through for the sake of entertainment and/or education.

Jemison

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156

I too like les stroud, but what ever happened to the guy from the early nineties the bush tucker man ????

That is Major Les Hiddins (ret) or the Australian Army, A brilliant survivalist and expert of self reliance. Major Hiddins was the genius who came up with the simple but brilliant idea of prining full colour pictures of edible flora and fauna, and when in the year it was available and how best to obtain it, on the back of Australian maps. IE If you got a map of Queensland you would find a full descriptive and photo on the back of all edible plants and animals that lived in the area the map covered.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Is anybody really surprised when things like this happen to guys like that?

I fully expect Mr. Grylls to make a full recovery, and subsequently die in some semi-spectacular way at some point in the future trying to pull off one of his ridiculous stunts.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Thanks for the link fix 12m8keall2c.
I hyperlinked it numerous times but it wouldn't 'take' for some peculiar reason.
Les Hiddins is one awesome pioneer.

The food map idea was pure genius,simple and effective,and one of the first titbits I pinched.

Some of the more amicable worldwisely pioneers used to hang up the native edibles and warnings about poisonous foods to trees to help out passers by too,darn gosh jolly decent chaps what?

I think that's what I enjoy about the 'wild' mentality.
It's hard to just stand back and let people struggle when you come across some innovations that really do help make things a little better.

I'm guessing Ray polished his boots for the camera,you never see his clothes mucky either.
I'm convinced he doesn't 'fake it' because it's his whole life's interest...Away from the cameras too.
Living and learning for considerable lengths of time away from home,
I don't reckon a hike bothers him in the least.

I know he broke Ewan McGregor in a joint venture.
Guess the force just wasn't with him at the time.

Hmm,Tired and complainy,he was.

I'm not 'Anti-Bear' for what he does,just the way he presents it.
He's NOT a 'survivalist',He's an adrenaline junkie.

I used to be stoopid too, surfing out to see for more than 10 miles offshore,when the sensible thing to do would be to stick within easier swimming distance,but you get a real buzz knowing a mistake will cost you your life.
Surfing hurricanes,silly.
Jumping off cliffs without measuring the water depth too, very silly.
Pulling tricks on a motorbike,pretty damn silly.
Trying a loop on a quad bike...also silly.

All were done in the spirit of adventure,all resulted in injuries and life threatening situations.
NOT 'Survivalist' mentality either,obviously.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Bear, what an idiot,,did you see the episode where he climbed down a waterfall in Alaska,,that waterfall is called Horsetail falls, it's about 15-20 mi. out of Valdez, it's right along the road and theres a path to the top of it...Reality my ass..

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Ah a fountain of knowledge you are NR.

Many thanks, Now I have his name, I will scout around and see what I can find on him.

I really used to enjoy bush tucker man as a kid.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by colec156]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

This one goes out to everyone who called him a faker for all that time. Even if he doesn't stay camping outside in every shoot, clearly he performs his own stunts.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

A real gem of a vid...the two legends playing like schoolkids in australia's back yard

new topics

top topics

join