It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America needs to finally adopt the metric system.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Beer served in Pints will always taste better period. I want a pint not a 500ml

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Beer served in Pints will always taste better period. I want a pint not a 500ml

I doubt that the way the beer is measured will affect its taste. You don't have to say "a 500 mL," you can say "a half liter." (There are 1,000 milliliters in 1 liter)

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Totakeke

It is funny how excited people get over these things.
I'm surprised that a gallon of milk is so confusing for some people.
I've traveled to a number of different countries and never had problems converting currency, volume, temperature, weight.
I do have a Scottish friend who has fits when he comes here and tries to do conversions. He cusses like a lunatic. I laugh at him every time because he gets apoplectic over it. He can't understand why we are so backwards. I smile at him and say "Because it pisses you off."
Don't worry. Maybe one day we will get metric here in the states and you can say "I told you so." and feel good about yourself. Until then you will just have to convert.
If it's that big a deal, u2u me with your address and I'll send you a laminated metric conversion chart for Christmas.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   

It is funny how excited people get over these things. I'm surprised that a gallon of milk is so confusing for some people. I've traveled to a number of different countries and never had problems converting currency, volume, temperature, weight. I do have a Scottish friend who has fits when he comes here and tries to do conversions. He cusses like a lunatic. I laugh at him every time because he gets apoplectic over it. He can't understand why we are so backwards. I smile at him and say "Because it pisses you off." Don't worry. Maybe one day we will get metric here in the states and you can say "I told you so." and feel good about yourself. Until then you will just have to convert. If it's that big a deal, u2u me with your address and I'll send you a laminated metric conversion chart for Christmas.

I'll try to go over this for you. The reason why people, as you say, get so "excited" about this is because it is something that should have been done years ago. America doesn't do it to anger the other countries (indeed, a lot of American things, most notably cars and other industry are already metric) we do it because we just haven't finished the conversion from the '70s.

Two systems do not work. It costs money and is just stupid. Does it make sense to have over 20 different English measurements for length, with none of them easily convertible except in the easiest of situations? The goal is to get everyone to measure with more accuracy and ease. Measuring is a pain with English units, especially inches. What? You mean they expect me to actually add 3 3/8, 5 1/4, and 15 7/32? (Or would the last one be 1 foot and 3 7/32 inches?) I'd take decimals over fractions any day.

Excited? Hardly. It's just time we got our act together.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Totakeke]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

OK
I can see you are very serious about this.
You are right.
Feel better?

Now, where should I send that laminated conversion chart?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Well, I don't need a conversion chart, actually. I try to use metric wherever and whenever I can. No converting. It's actually very easy once you don't use English units any more. In fact it's easier. I get to measure more conveniently and can converse with someone else in the world without confusing them.

I'm sorry the idea of a more advanced America that isn't burdened by an old clumsy system doesn't appeal to you, but it appeals to those of us who like to see a little progress every couple decades.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Only a loser measures their meat and two veg using the metric system.

My gear is a quarter pounder, not a Royal with cheese.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
OK
Understood.
Us stodgy old bastards who really don't care what units of measure we use really do cramp your style.
I've spent 8 years of my life in other countries (using the metric system)and quite frankly it doesn't make that much difference, but I can see your point.

You seem to know all about the metric system.
Maybe you can tell me.
Do they have a metric measurement for
sarcasm?

Happy Holidays

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You seem to know all about the metric system. Maybe you can tell me. Do they have a metric measurement for sarcasm?

That just proves my point even more so. I guess you can't come up with an argument with any substance. How about thinking first? I could send you a chart.

Us stodgy old bastards who really don't care what units of measure we use really do cramp your style.

Oh, well, if you don't care then you should have no problem with metric system.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hmm
Seems like an overenthusiasm for metrics is hard on the sense of humor.
Maybe I'll stick with the old system. I imagine I'll smile more.

Once again,
Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Hmm Seems like an overenthusiasm for metrics is hard on the sense of humor. Maybe I'll stick with the old system. I imagine I'll smile more.

I didn't come here to argue, I came here to have an intelligent discussion. I guess I made a mistake.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
the metric system?! over my cold dead body.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   

the metric system?! over my cold dead body.

Any reason why specifically?

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by rizla
Throw the stupid system out. And while we're at it, destroy FAHRENHEIT for the love of GOD. I hate it!

Celsius,
-water freezes at 0 Degrees Celsius.
-It boils at 100 C.

Pretty simple, now what is boiling and freezing in F?

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints

Do you really think that changing to the metric system would do all of that?
You're in for a big surprise.

Also, we're the last ones? So? Does that make us wrong?

Learn to stand up under peer pressure. It will build character.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by badgerprints]

Sort of like the prevailing gun laws? You're not going to tell me that they build character as well?

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 07:34 AM
link   
I've been doing some a little poking around the web. Apparently how some of the other metric supports would change things to metric, specifically focusing on road signs, is to erect new metric street signs but keep them covered. And then on one day reveal all of the signs.

Anyone remember old British pounds? They used the pound, the shilling, and the pence. There were 12 pence in a shilling, and 20 shillings in a pound. This made 240 pence to a pound (not like the Dollar or the Euro, depending on where you live, which are both decimal - the same number system with which we count). To make matters worse, they had all of these weird coins that were not related by tens. For example, they had the farthing, which is 1/4 of a pence, a halfpenny, which is 1/2 of a penny, a florin was 2 shillings, a half crown was 2 shillings and 6 pence, etc.

Here's a fun math problem. John weighs 20 stones 3 pounds and 6 ounces. His father puts him on a diet promising to pay 1 sixpence for every ounce John loses. After a fortnight John weights 18 stones 12 pounds 11 ounces. His father only has guineas. What is the smallest number of coins John can give his father in change? If John lost the weight through exercise by running 200 furlongs, how much money per rod did he earn?

Old British Pounds work the same way the English system does. It uses weird number bases like 12, 16, 1,760, 5,280, etc. Metric uses base 10, the same system we all count with every day. Take, for example, a foot, which is 12 inches. In a decimal system, the numbers start counting over at 10, which we're all used to. But in a foot, the inches start counting over at 12. This makes converting by shifting the decimal point impossible.

[edit on 14-12-2008 by Totakeke]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140
It's easy to say that we need to convert to the metric system without stating how it should be done.

Here is a small list of things that would need to be changed if we did convert.

1. speed limit signs
2. exit signs
3. math text books (all of them)
4. spedometers
5. odometers
6 GPS systems
7. police radar guns
8. highway signs telling how far each town is (forget the name)
9 Gas pumps
10. Most sports fields

Just a small list to show the massive undertaking and money that it would have to be involved just so that we can be like everyone else. You could say do it a little at a time, but that wouldn't really work because most of those things I listed are connected.

If anyone has a plausible idea of how we could accomplish this task that is affordable then lets hear it.

Canada managed it quite easily, why not just ask?

[edit on 17-12-2008 by bronco73]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   

We really do need to adopt the metric system. I have thought since elementary school this is rubbish, as it makes math hell for the young kids. Then they grow up and enter the real world and have to learn metric anyway. Seems we could quite wasting our children's educational time if it is not beneficial to them.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
I'm from Oz and I heard all the arguments against conversion to metric - over 30 years ago

There's no reason not to change and it's done gradually so it's not the drama some make it out to be. I still sometimes convert to imperial units to work out comparative fuel economy of vehicles I now have to those I had prior to 'metrification' but I'm comfortable with both systems these days.

Metric is far simpler all round and you probably won't realise it till you try it. For example a cubic metre of water weighs 1000kg which is better known as a tonne (or 2200lb which is just 40lb short of an imperial ton). Just memorise a handful of basic conversion factors and you're fluent in both systems.

Interestingly here, the metric unit for pressure hasn't really caught on completely as yet and virtually all service stations still display air pressure (for tyres) in psi instead of Pascals although the fuel is sold exclusively by the litre (3.5 of those to a US gallon).

It's a piece of cake - all you have to do is take the leap.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
For crying out loud its just a system of measurement! LOL Let's convert already and have the whole world on one system so it makes it easier for all of us to understand each other.
1. speed limit signs
for now add an overlay at the bottom
2. exit signs
same thing, update locations when they naturally need replacement
3. math text books (all of them)
can be a gradual thing, teach both for now
4. speedometers
many are dual system already, electronic displays usually have options
5. odometers
put in two? not expensive, electronic ones even cheaper
6 GPS systems
most have options to switch, easy computer program to add
7. police radar guns
most have dual capability now, just a switch
8. highway signs telling how far each town is (forget the name)
add plastic sticker with kilometers so both show
9 Gas pumps
just change it (maybe new term, metric gallon-4 litres)
10. Most sports fields
a yard and a meter are so close

since we are now an interdependent and intricately connected world, what are we waiting for? Time to lessen the confusion/conversion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join