Saturday Night Live Weekly Discussion

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm a huge fan of SNL and I try to watch it every week.

I just watched this past weeks episode with John Malkovich & TI. After watching it, I really think it was the best episode in years with quite possibly some of the best moments in SNL history. With the history the show has, it can be a tough sell to consider recent segments some of the best ever... but I really believe it.

The Weekend Update segment with Fred Armisen as Boy George, man.. that was hilarious. Watching Seth & Fred fight to hold in their laughter and work it into the gimmick, it had me in splits. John Malkovich was one of the best hosts I've ever watched on there. The segment as Gertie and the sleepover, I actually paused it so I didn't miss anything as I laughed.

Fred Armisen actually pulled off a great Obama impression as well. The "playing it cool" segment was actually a great approach to poking fun at Obama. His impression of the President-elect has improved drastically in the past year.

Anyone else see this episode?

From start to finish, there wasn't one segment that wasn't laugh out loud funny. Which says a lot because even recent episodes that were good, they still had segments that fell short. This one did not, in my opinion.

Hugh Laurie & Kanye West next week.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

It was definitely a great show.
Funniest and best SNL Short ever! J***ed in my pants Classic.

Edit: Youtube link not functioning properly.

[edit on 12/11/2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I don't know if it was the best digital short ever.. I wouldn't even call it the best on this weeks show. I thought Kristen Wiig's "Virgania Mailing" was more comical. Andy Samberg's was very entertaining and I laughed.. but I found Wiig's to be funnier.

Samberg's digital short from a few years ago with Justin Timberlake was one of the best of all time, in my opinion.

I won't post a link.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Don't know if it was the best digital short ever.....

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
It was definitely a great show.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
OK Chissler, did you see the 01/31/09 show?

Just in case..This fauxmerrcial cracked me up.

www.hulu.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I've been slacking badly. I watched the UFC pay per view event on the 31st and meant to set a recording for the SNL episode, but realized Sunday morning that I forgot. I'm anxiously waiting the replay of several episodes from this season.

The rerun of the Paul Rudd/Beyonce episode where Just Timberlake made a few cameos was replayed a few weeks ago and I set a recording. But the football game on before it went into overtime and by the time the episode of SNL started, my recording was almost finished. So I still missed the skits I was waiting for.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Kristen Wiig is just funny in all her characters.

Been watching SNL since college way too many years ago to mention.

This weeks episode with Steve Martin wasn't near as funny as I thought it would be and was disappointed not to see Alec Baldwin on. They have a "love hate" thing going since both are the tops on the list of how many times they have hosted the show. There interactions are a riot.

Jason Mraz was good.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

I hope Ms Wiig never does that character she did a few weeks ago, the school girl. That was five minutes of pure agony.

I like the cast members they have gotten together. I hate the writing and wish they would fire the lot of them and get some new blood in. Get rid of Andy Sandburg and Fred Armisten (who does a terrible Obama). I have been a fan since the Not Ready for Prime Time Players (when Chevy Chase was aboard), so I have a right to gripe. I have seen the show go through its ups and downs, and watched the worst season ever, the 6th 1980-1981.

The new women on the cast are very funny, and I want to see them develop more. New writers would write for them, and not the stupid frat boy humor that has engulfed the show. No more scat and gay jokes, as we get it already. More satire, like the original shows.

Maybe I should put this in the rant file, but I have been watching the show since it premiered and was called Saturday Night. (Saturday Night Live was on ABC that season, so the name was taken.)

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kidflash2008

Very good points and not so sure about Fred Armisten, I think he is pretty funny.
There is a definite onesidedness to the humor, and wish they wouldn't shove the liberal agenda quite so much. Steve Martins opening and example.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blogstalker

Maybe I was a little hard on Mr Armisten. I also agree about the liberal bend in the show, but it was very liberal at the beginning. They have actually toned it down quite a bit since the Ronald Reagan years. (I remember quite a few sketches lampooning the Reagan policies, not so much with the Bush years.)

I liked it when Mr Martin played the banjo. He is very talented, and seemed to be running the whole show. The girls singing about him was quite funny, and it brought back the older Steve Martin style humor. I will allow his liberal bias, as he has earned it (he did write for the Smothers Brothers Hour when it was heavily censored by CBS).

Tina Fey did a wonderful Gov Palin, but that was ruined by the inept Michael Phelps hosting the show. The boy cannot act his way out of a paper bag. I felt sorry for him, as he was in way over his head. Many of the shows seemed to be like that, as they were funny when Tina was on, but they seemed to run out of juice as soon as her bit was done.

I hope they get John McCain to host the show again. He did a sketch where he sang Barbra Streisand songs, and stated: I don't tell you how to sing your songs, please don't tell me how to do my job. Very funny stuff.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I was waiting for someone to agree with me on this. It was definetly one of the best episodes in awhile. Ide have to say my favorite one was when it was christmas eve and they were excited about getting a calculater.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I'm on a boat ...

Too funny!

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Last nights show had a few good bits, but most of it was dumb. The game show and the couple who were being rude during the intervention was not funny.
Sorry Shrodingers's Dog, but the digital shorts have been annoying, although I did like the one rap singer. After the funny D*** in a Box, the digital shorts have not been that good.

The host was actually funny, but the material written for him wasn't. I stand by my opinion the writers (including Seth Meyers) need to be sacked immediately.

Edited to add:

I guess to each his own!

[edit on 2/8/2009 by kidflash2008]

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It's ok flash, I agree with everything you said, but I did like the Digital Short.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I should give Mr Samberg credit for creating different digital shorts. While they aren't always funny, they do show a creative side that is missing from the rest of the show.

I have been watching the show for nearly 34 years, and I always hope it will get out of its slump. It usually does, and then there are a few seasons where it is good (although every show has its dry moments, including the original cast).

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Well we have Alec Baldwin to look forward to next Saturday.

Those are usually quite good.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Well we have Alec Baldwin to look forward to next Saturday.

Those are usually quite good

I still chuckle any time I think of the "Canteen boy" sketch, with Adam Sandler...the look on Adam's face was priceless!!!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Classic.

That and Schweddy balls!

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I thought the game show was funny "I am going to have sex with your wife"

I was hoping Alec would show up when Steve Martin was on. Maybe they will do something with Alec. They are the top two hosts

new topics
top topics

<<   2 >>

join