It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Acai berries; Cancer Fighter, Leukemia destroyer, Published in Journal of Agricultural and Food Che

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
source:

A Brazilian berry popular in health food contains antioxidants that destroyed cultured human cancer cells in a recent University of Florida study, one of the first to investigate the fruit’s purported benefits.

Published today in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry,
abstracts only here and here and here
the study showed extracts from acai (ah-SAH’-ee) berries triggered a self-destruct response in up to 86 percent of leukemia cells tested, said Stephen Talcott, an assistant professor with UF’s Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.
Acai berries are produced by a palm tree known scientifically as Euterpe oleracea, common in floodplain areas of the Amazon River, Talcott said. When ripe, the berries are dark purple and about the size of a blueberry. They contain a thin layer of edible pulp surrounding a large seed.

Historically, Brazilians have used acai berries to treat digestive disorders and skin conditions, he said. Current marketing efforts by retail merchants and Internet businesses suggest acai products can help consumers lose weight, lower cholesterol and gain energy.

“A lot of claims are being made, but most of them haven’t been tested scientifically,” Talcott said. “We are just beginning to understand the complexity of the acai berry and its health-promoting effects.”

In the current UF study, six different chemical extracts were made from acai fruit pulp, and each extract was prepared in seven concentrations.

Four of the extracts were shown to kill significant numbers of leukemia cells when applied for 24 hours. Depending on the extract and concentration, anywhere from about 35 percent to 86 percent of the cells died.

National Geographic Video

source_2:

Brazilian Açaí berries are loaded with antioxidants – 500% more than blueberries and 60% more than pomegranates! In addition to antioxidants, Açaí berries contain omega fatty acids, the good-for-you fats that help protect the heart, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, improve depression, and fight cancer.

More Acai Videos:

Acai History - Acai Berry

Pics

Other acai links:
www.askmen.com...
acaiberrycentral.com...
en.wikipedia.org...
acaiberrydrink.org...

aguaje: Another SuperFood From the Amazon

And Finally, Find a fair collection of other possible cancer cures at this ATS thread:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:34 PM
link   
is it not amazing the power of things produced by nature,,,,,,not in a lab, with a 3 mil ad budget.... wow!!!!!!!!!!

and , myself included,,, i think many americans are in the dark on the cures, solutions,,, natural remedies available thru nature

my grams has breast cancer ,,,, and searching the net,,, i was amazed at the things available.,,,,nature wise,, herbs etc etc to combat cancer

and how horrible the main stream treatment is,,,

however,,,the net has great info and solutions,,,,,,sorting thru what is really true,,,,,and weeding out snake oil salesman is tough!!!!!
while a herb may work,,,,,finding the best source available,,,,, and where to get it,,,,whereby the way they actually get it doesn't deteriorate or ruin the actual value is hard to judge.....

i went to shop rite and bought white grape juice,, prune juice,,, acai juices etc
come to find out there was very little of those actual juices in them,,,,the main ingredients were apple juice,,, orange or whatever and very little of the actual beneficiaL juices. although it was called white grape, acai juice or blueberry

good info you posted

join