It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Jack Spadaro Claims Bush Administration Covered Up Toxic Spill Probe

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 07:01 PM
link   
This evening, on 60 Minutes (CBS) an expose covered the story of the Bush Administration's efforts to cut short a probe into a serious environmental catastrophe several orders of magnitude more serious than the Exon Valdez oil spill. Jack Spadaro, a former engineer and head of the National Mine Health and Saftey Academy and second in command of the investigation, claims he was pulled of the investigation and pressure to sign a heavily watered-down "final report".

www.CBSnews.com What he's talking about is what he calls a government cover-up of an investigation into a disaster 25 times the size of the Exxon Valdez spill. It happened in October of 2000, when 300 million gallons of coal slurry - thick pudding-like waste from mining operations - flooded land, polluted rivers and destroyed property in Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia. The slurry contained hazardous chemicals, including arsenic and mercury. “It polluted 100 miles of stream, killed everything in the streams, all the way to the Ohio River,” says Spadaro, who was second in command of the team investigating the accident. This is an engrossing story of a serious environmental catastrophe, still effecting people's lives, that has been actively covered up by the White House soon after the Bush administration came into power. Additional Information: Mine Expert: Bush Administration Stopped Coal Slurry Probe A Toxic Cover-up? Ex-Official Says Govt Covered Up Spill Cause Whistle-blower in inquiry of slurry spill is demoted Jack Spadaro's Story Work for MSHA, Tell the Truth, Get Fired The Sludge Report - Excellent! Coal Slurry Spill Still Taints E. Kentucky, Residents Say Here we have a significant and well-documented government cover-up in the works and visible as it happens. I encourage all ATS members to become familiar with the story and posted links and offer your observations. [Edited on 18-4-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
this administration has a rather long record of misleading and lying to the public in order to get what it wants. this is different from some other administrations because they have been caught in the lies many times....but the public still remains complacent. what will it take for the public to open thier eyes???????

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
maybe if he lies to the whole country and than the whole world so he can goto war with a impoverished country so his friends in the oil business can control the oil and jack the prices up. Wait.. errrr already happened. I'm out of ideas here, although I heard they tried to find an intern to give him a BJ but they couldn't find one.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   

as quoted by JOHNSmith
...although I heard they tried to find an intern to give him a BJ but they couldn't find one.

And I suppose instead of severely injuring a camel and destroying an aspirin factory, Bush just took out Afghanistan and Iraq, huh?

seekerof

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
It will take every one of us who participate in the board
going to any of the links listed above and emailing it to every single person we know.

That is exactly what it is going to take to get rid of the
Bush Administration and get this world of ours especially our nation cleaned up.

Every one who voted Republican in the last election should be forced to read the Sludge Report.

The coverup wouldn't have happened if Al Gore had been elected. At least he honestly cared about our environment. George Bush never has cared about anything but booze, money and power, in that order.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

What he's talking about is what he calls a government cover-up of an investigation into a disaster 25 times the size of the Exxon Valdez spill. It happened in October of 2000, when 300 million gallons of coal slurry - thick pudding-like waste from mining operations - flooded land, polluted rivers and destroyed property in Eastern Kentucky and West Virginia. The slurry contained hazardous chemicals, including arsenic and mercury.

“It polluted 100 miles of stream, killed everything in the streams, all the way to the Ohio River,” says Spadaro, who was second in command of the team investigating the accident.

Very devastating and terrible event. I wouldn't put it past partisan politics or Bush (and administration) when it comes to this occurance.
I think that Jack Spadaro is a respectable man, but he is also a man that is being scrutinized for a possible vendetta scenerio:
3 lawmakers seek investigation of firing of U.S. mine inspector

This whole situation could have been a case of "do as your told, or else" thing, at least that is how I am reading this:
A Toxic Cover-up?

As to this:

The coverup wouldn't have happened if Al Gore had been elected.

Maybe, maybe not. Gore can claim he is Joe Environmental all he wants, but if "interests" prove to be to his benefit, he would have covered it up as hard as anyone else can. Politician's radstar...politician....as such, the people come second, that includes the environment. Political lobbists and advocates have so infiltrated, distorted, and influenced politics so much, that if Gore had a vested interest in doing so, the cover-up would have happened, despite his claim to be Joe Environment.

seekerof

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
And I suppose instead of severely injuring a camel and destroying an aspirin factory, Bush just tok out Afghanistan and Iraq, huh?

seekerof

I'm guessing you read that totally biased Ann Coulter article?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
And I guess you didn't grasp the date....this was the second spill that happened in October of 2000, the first spill happened in 1994, both under the previous administration. What did the previous administration do to prevent a second occurance? Na'da!

seekerof

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Doing a bit more digging on this, found these:
The Kentucky Coal Mine Disaster That never happened

The "greenies" are in a bit of a quandary with their heroes Clinton and Gore, due to a recent proposal the Administration made that will allow mining companies to dump coal waste into streams and rivers in violation of the Clean Water Act. Esten Perez of Friends of the Earth said, "It is ironic that at the same time this Administration is announcing new efforts to promote cleaner energy, they are weakening our clean water laws and giving the coal industry a free pass to pollute." But, are they going to remain sufficiently loyal to not make a stink about an environmental disaster of this magnitude? Surely they're aware of the past incidents of pollution from tri-state mining operations.

Very interesting article indeed (above).
And then found this dealing with the Kentucky coal mine:
An Environmental Disaster: The Al Gore Connection

In the case of the environmental disaster still unfolding in Kentucky and spreading into Ohio and W.Virginia, the big news networks may be giving us a preview of the sort of coverage we can expect not only of Gore's legal troubles and fiascoes, but also those of Gore's friends and associates.

further into the article:

Two months prior to winning the contract, Fluor and its PAC gave $100,000 to Clinton/Gore fundraisers. (Fluor had already given another $103,000 not long before that.) In 1997 under Fluor's management, America came close to experiencing its own Chernobyl nuclear disaster when a chemical tank in the plant exploded within twenty yards of ten tons of plutonium.

and further:

6. Are the media ignoring this because of the Gore/Fluor connection?

And speaking of Al Gore, that champion of the environment and author of "Earth in the Balance" in which he stated, "At some point during this journey we lost our feeling of connectedness to the rest of nature" - has living in a mansion with improvements paid for by the Fluor Corporation caused him to lose his connectedness with that part of nature in the southeast where Kentucky, W.Virginia and Ohio intersect?

Yep...there is definitely a cover-up here, but by 'whom' and for 'whom'?

seekerof

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof What did the previous administration do to prevent a second occurance? Na'da!
Correct. But the current administration is actively engaged in a cover-up of one of the most serious environmental disaster on U.S. soil.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Howdy folks...

The people sitting on Massey's board of directors are an intelligent group, most with impressive credentials. There's Dr. E. Gordan Gee, the chancellor of Vanderbilt University; Dr. Martha Seger, a distinguished visiting professor of finance at Arizona State University; Bobby Inman, a retired U.S. Navy admiral and former director of the National Security Agency and deputy director of the Central Intelligence Administration; and West Virginia's own James "Buck" Harless, who is chairman of the board of International Industries Inc.

www.umwa.org...

Hmmm...I'm from this area, I live about 10 miles S/W of the Big Sandy river, and Massey has had a lot of environmental problems. At first I thought Jack may be a little disgruntled, and that was why he was saying this, now I don't know...

But could Bobby have pulled some strings ?

BTW just for a laugh, listen to the media here...

www.umwa.org...

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

BABICH: While it's unclear whether Bush Administration connections to the mining industry have anything to do with the investigation or personnel actions taken against Spadaro, it's probably worth noting that Massey Energy is a major contributor to the Republican Party. And, President Bush's top leadership at MSHA is stacked with former mining executives. Assistant Secretary Lauriski was an executive with Energy West Mining. Deputy Assistant Secretary John Correll, worked for Amax Mining and Peabody Coal.

SIERRA CLUB CONSERVATION UPDATE: February 2004

Maybe someone needs to ask this gentleman some further questions?

Assistant Secretary of Labor Dave Lauriski
SIERRA CLUB CONSERVATION UPDATE: February 2004

seekerof

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Ah, Yoda. A fellow East Kentuckian! Good to know we have another on here. As someone who hails from the area in Question, I can tell you that I'm appauled as well to the spill which destroyed quite a bit of natural as well as private property throughout the region. While I was living a couple hours to the east at the time this happened, it still hit home with me because I grew up near this area on a small farm along the Big Sandy River in neighboring Johnson County. I remember one such spill that happened upriver in Pike county when I was a boy which made the river slick with what appeared to be oil but was much nastier than that. It tainted everything in the waters and though it has been over 20 years since, it is still evident along the banks.

Now, many of you label me as a supporter of Bush and enemy of the environment simply because my scientific background and knowledge of earth history and its climate will not allow me to be hoaxed by the theory of global warming. Pollution such as this, on the other hand, is something to which no one can or should turn a blind eye.

While I recognize the need for cost effective energy and that the coal KY produces allows us to keep the nation's lowest kilowatt per hour charge for electricity as well as avoid situations such as California faces on a daily basis, I think when something such as this occurs, there needs to be definet accountability and while I don't agree that something such as this should kill and entire industry, I do think the fines should be compensorate to the damage and should prompt more strick regulation. The last spill we had that I spoke of which happened when I was just a kid happened during Carter's administration and still, there was no clean-up nor there was no investigation of fines. True, he had much bigger fish to fry with our terrible economy (inflation) and the hostage situtation in Iran but still, the scar on the environment was lasting.

Did Bush yeild to political pressure from Massey? Probably. Would Gore have? Tough to say but its easy to theorize either way. In fact, the only other explanation I could think of for ordering the investigation cut short was that government officials weren't carrying it out effectivley. I watched the new story last night and picked up on one key point. No one ever said the administartion killed the investigation outright, only that they wanted it wrapped up. Is 110,000 enough for the damage done? Hell no! Does that give Massey incentive to right their wrongs? Hardly. What do we do to stop it from happening again? I think last nights public humiliation for all partys involved was a damn good start. I hope to see more attention called to this but I still ain't buying global warming. Maybe if we spent less on such political rubbish and more making sure real environmental concerns such as this were addressed, we'd see less of this.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
If this is true and accurate then it is an unbelievable cover-up!! What I mean by that is:

300 million gallons is more than a spill. WTF holds 300 millions gallons that can accidentally spill in one shot?? Nothing that I can think of, making this intentional dumping on multiple occasions and for a long time. How the hell does anyone cover something like that up anyway?? How could anyone, from the bottom level worker all the way to the CEO do or allow this type of stuff and justify their actions??

To do so makes them just as Dangerous and Mentally Insane as any other psychopath that we would normally lock up. Yet these destructive and seriously dangerous people continue to live the good life in every possible way and we're locking up Martha Stewart abstruction of justice, Willie Nelson for Pot and Pee Wee Herman for Masturbation. Please tell me I'm not the only one who can see an obvious problem which is way out of control!!

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
300 million gallons is more than a spill. WTF holds 300 millions gallons that can accidentally spill in one shot??

A small reservoir. 300M gallons is just less than 1000 acre feet.

For comparison, a small reservoir here in San Mateo County, Calif. can hold about 23,000 acre feet; it's about 1 square mile in surface area.

The size of the spill isn't especially surprising. The damage is.

b.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by basso
A small reservoir. 300M gallons is just less than 1000 acre feet.

For comparison, a small reservoir here in San Mateo County, Calif. can hold about 23,000 acre feet; it's about 1 square mile in surface area.

The size of the spill isn't especially surprising. The damage is.

b.

Somehow that doesn't do much for me in terms of making things seem smaller.

For example, when you compare it to a football field for a better perspective that most people can identify with.
1 Acre Ft. = 1 Acre of Area filled 1 ft. Deep
1 Acre = 4,840 square yards
1 Football Field = 120yrds x 53yrds = 6360 Square Yards

So.....
300 Million Gallons = 1000 Acre Ft. (approx.) = 760 Football Fields w/Inzones (approx.)

And all 760 (approx.) Football Fields are 1 Foot Deep in Toxic Sludge Sh*t!!
...Or another way to picture it would be...
An area the size of a football field 760 Feet High of Pure Toxic Sludge Sh*t!!

(I think that's correct. Someone else may want to check my math just to be sure, cause that is a lot of Sh*t to cover-up!!)

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mOjOm
Somehow that doesn't do much for me in terms of making things seem smaller.
[...]
And all 760 (approx.) Football Fields are 1 Foot Deep in Toxic Sludge Sh*t!!

I wasn't commenting on the volume, per se.

You suggested that it was impossible for such a volume to have been released in a single accident. I was trying to show that a single release was possible: if a reservoir with a surface area of 1 square mile can hold 23,000 acre-feet, one 23 times smaller will fit in a pond about 76 yards on a side [1]. The comparison isn't exact because the smaller pond will be relatively shallower, but it gives some idea of the scale.

It doesn't stretch the imagination that much to think of a single tailings pond (restrained by an ill-maintained dam) breaking loose. The volume in question doesn't demand conspiracies to explain.

[1] sqrt[ (4840*640)/23]

b.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
basso, I see what you're saying. I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything. I should have stated my opinion in a different way I guess. What I was getting at is that an accident of that size, is similar to the accident that allowed Pearl Harbor to be attacked while documented knowledge of the attack sat on someone's desk for hours without being sent. Oops!
Or the accident of the Secret Service to protect JFK when he was shot and how his brain was accidentally lost during the autopsy. Oops again!

Just like it is hinting at in the article:

Spadaro says the investigators discovered the spill was more than an accident -- it was an accident waiting to happen.

The mining company claimed it had taken measures to make sure it wouldn't happen again, but an engineer working for the company said the problem had not been fixed, and that both he and the company knew another spill was virtually inevitable.

They were misrepresenting the facts … and they knew that. The company knew that and I'm sorry to say I believe some people within the government knew that.”

Oops, oops and double oops!!

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 04:43 PM
link   
The total volume of the spill would equate to about 3-4 ULCC(Ultra Large Crude Carrier). So I believe the size of the spill is accurate. In terms of evironmental damage it will be devastating. Watch out for high incidents of birth defects and unexplained illness in those areas. Sure sign of toxic exposure.

Watch a documentary called "Nukes in Space". I saw it on a Detroit PBS channel. You wonder why the atmosphere and earth are so F#$%ED up, watch this. Nuclear weapons have already begun to destablilize our EM shield. The pole's are indicating that they will reverse sometime. But to do this there must be a period of complete collapse. Exposing us to harmful radiation from space.

That's what technology does for us. To create something useful requires the destruction of something else. I urge all you Americans to keep the pressure on your government to keep weapons out of space. Let's keep one area of our planet away from the arms race. It works in Canada, we keep pressure on our government all the time and it mostly works. Look at the war in Iraq. We did not want our troops going there. We didn't believe the Bush administration and made sure that Chretien knew we didn't want our boys and girls going there for this frivolous war.

You guys must do the same

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
More on Bush administration environmental issues... The Mercury Scandal By PAUL KRUGMAN If you want a single example that captures why so many people no longer believe in the good intentions of the Bush administration, look at the case of mercury pollution.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join