It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How prepared are you really?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
As I was standing at the door this morning watching my son get on the school bus the thought crossed my mind, "What would I do if I saw the big flash of light from a nuke?"

Even if it were dozens or hundreds of miles away I assume the EMP would knock out cell phones, electrical grids, cars with engine computers, etc.

Would I grab my 2-year old and head for the basement? How could I find out if my son and wife (at work) were ok?

I have been trying to put back some nonperishables and ammo, as well as thinking about when or where to bug out, but I realized today that the likelihood of my whole family being together when a massive incident happens is low.

What does everyone think?

If I was at work I would do the best I could to help/advise the people around me so we could stay safe, but do I trust people at schools and the hospital where my wife works to jump into action? I don't know.

Even the most hard-headed people I know are starting to pay attention to the world situation, but even people who think it's likely don't spend time thinking about what they would do.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
reply to post by Spiritowl

So no to the HiHo Silver types? I'm with you and the others on that one. I notice most of the people who say that they will grab a gun, some food and head to the woods never really contribute usefull information in this forum. "Im better, smarter than you, and I can shoot you." Not going to be real useful if TSHTF.

The ones who's mentality reviolves around grabbing a gun first are the very ones you want to have as little to do with as possible, they have ramboitus. A gun is just one more tool in the kit of the prepared, but far to many people think its the first and last item they will need to survive.They have all read to much post apoc fiction generally. I prefer those who put their brain in gear before their hormones and adrenalin.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by emsed1
As I was standing at the door this morning watching my son get on the school bus the thought crossed my mind, "What would I do if I saw the big flash of light from a nuke?"

Not a lot, you would have your retinas fried if you looked at the flash from a nuke, You would be blind, possibly permenantly.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by salchanra

No i don't have a separate gun for sitX. When i'm hunting i carry a Ruger P-95, which i will still carry after TSHTF, and a Ruger Mini-14. All of my guns will go with me, but most will be used for specific situations. I'll always have both Rugers on me at all times.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
Salchanara, Thank you. This was the type of thing I was looking for, and the reason for my takes a village comment. I do understand the "whats the use / why worry" mentality of people like Blowfishdl. Nobody can ever be prepared for everything. I for one think it is prudent to be able to handle as much as i can for whatever life throws my way. If nothing else, it makes me an asset to my community. I may not be "THE" person to go to in a situation, however the more I learn and grow, the better off we all are.

Spiritowl

Oh, you thought i was referancing a poster in this thread with that comment?

With all the goofy survival movies out there, and the hordes of people thinking as soon as there is a disaster, there will be complete anarchy and we will all be walking targets, there are some out there, and on ATS who actually have thought about sit-x in a logical reasonable manner.

Its not going to be hell on earth, well, maybe in the large metro areas, but for the most part its probably going to mean no more supplies. Yes, there will be anarchy, but for those who know what is going on and can take care of themselves, not much is really going to change.

You see the posts, "if someone comes after me, Ill kill them all to save my family and defend my food". Fine, think that way. Truth is, people want to live. You will have instances of gangs killing, raping, and stealing. But for the most part its going to be small groups of people who just want to be left the hell alone. And like Annubis said, after a few months, the weak and unprepared will be dead. Its cold and hard, but its reality.

Youre doing the right thing in preparing yourself for anything. Even if nothing ever happens, its makes you a better person now and should something happen, you will be seen as an asset, not a liability and you will be on the inside looking out.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

reply to post by Spiritowl

So no to the HiHo Silver types? I'm with you and the others on that one. I notice most of the people who say that they will grab a gun, some food and head to the woods never really contribute usefull information in this forum. "Im better, smarter than you, and I can shoot you." Not going to be real useful if TSHTF.

The ones who's mentality reviolves around grabbing a gun first are the very ones you want to have as little to do with as possible, they have ramboitus. A gun is just one more tool in the kit of the prepared, but far to many people think its the first and last item they will need to survive.They have all read to much post apoc fiction generally. I prefer those who put their brain in gear before their hormones and adrenalin.

Not all of us that would grab our guns first have "ramboitis". When i'm grabbing my gear part of what i'll be wearing will be at least a pistol. My brain is always in gear, and i always work out an evac plan for whereever i'm at, or whatever i'm doing. I always think about how to get to my kids, and get them to safety. And i always have my pistol with me to make sure i can!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritowl
Salchanara, Thank you. This was the type of thing I was looking for, and the reason for my takes a village comment. I do understand the "whats the use / why worry" mentality of people like Blowfishdl. Nobody can ever be prepared for everything. I for one think it is prudent to be able to handle as much as i can for whatever life throws my way. If nothing else, it makes me an asset to my community. I may not be "THE" person to go to in a situation, however the more I learn and grow, the better off we all are.

Spiritowl

Oh, you thought i was referancing a poster in this thread with that comment?

With all the goofy survival movies out there, and the hordes of people thinking as soon as there is a disaster, there will be complete anarchy and we will all be walking targets, there are some out there, and on ATS who actually have thought about sit-x in a logical reasonable manner.

Its not going to be hell on earth, well, maybe in the large metro areas, but for the most part its probably going to mean no more supplies. Yes, there will be anarchy, but for those who know what is going on and can take care of themselves, not much is really going to change.

You see the posts, "if someone comes after me, Ill kill them all to save my family and defend my food". Fine, think that way. Truth is, people want to live. You will have instances of gangs killing, raping, and stealing. But for the most part its going to be small groups of people who just want to be left the hell alone. And like Annubis said, after a few months, the weak and unprepared will be dead. Its cold and hard, but its reality.

Youre doing the right thing in preparing yourself for anything. Even if nothing ever happens, its makes you a better person now and should something happen, you will be seen as an asset, not a liability and you will be on the inside looking out.

I have visions of millions of NRA members all rushing around armed to the teath trying to liberate supplies from other equally armed nra members, compounded by the armed cops, unrestrained NG units, state troopers, Posse Commitatus members and most of Texas. Should be fun watching the end result, Currently I believe even now without Sit X the US parts company with over 30,000 of its citizens each year due to gun violence. I try to visualise 320 million people trying to head into the boonies, all thinking they are expert gun slingers

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I like how you used us NRA members as a reference to all the violence in this country. 90% of shootings are from gangbangers or psycopaths who are not members of the NRA. It's narrow minded thinking like that that got the Britishs ass' kicked two hundred years ago!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I'm not. I'm going to assume the government will most likely collect people together somewhere and take whatever food and supplies away they had.

I would like to hear more about that type of scenario and what I should really do that would be the least amount of work and worry. I live in a small town near a major body of water. For some reason, that's some comfort to me. I wouldn't feel as safe in a city or some wooded area. This is my comfort zone for now. I haven't any interest in joing some food gathering malitia.

I'm thinking most likely a natural disaster rather than just an economic one. Such as what we might expect with Yellowstone caldera. I don't have the energy to run and hide. Best of luck to those who think they can though.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

LOL. Nice post. I cant really envision NRA members killing each other off. Working together to defend one another I can see. The evil I can see coming from sit-x are the cities near military bases. Eventually the armed thugs will get in and get ahold of some heavy duty firepower, then use this new found power to enslave a city. The cities will be bad places for awhile until people start to turn on each other.

The state of Texas? They have a few guns down there I'm told, but per capita, Alaska is the gun capital over here. There was a report out last year claiming that one in three cars had a loaded weapon in it at all times.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Exactly what type of disaster are you people preparing for? If it's a natural disaster your "safe place" will be just as wiped out as your home and work. If it's a man-made attack then the same pretty much stands true. What are you going to do sit there with your rifle and chewing tobacco fighting off evil doers?

The topic of discussion might as well be "How prepared are you for a comet impact?". The answer would be very much the same.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anuubis

I like how you used us NRA members as a reference to all the violence in this country. 90% of shootings are from gangbangers or psycopaths who are not members of the NRA. It's narrow minded thinking like that that got the Britishs ass' kicked two hundred years ago!

99% of the shootings are committed by American Citizens on American Citizens, you still lose 30,000 lives a year plus over 250,000 wounded to guns. I love it when Americans cite the events of 1776 which was a duel effort by the Americans, French and Spanish, but seem to forget round two in 1812 when the Brits with only 4000 troops whupped the US, captured its Capital, had breakfast in the Whitehouse and defeated the US army at Bladensburg in an hour and a half. Now lets see if I remember round two correctly !!

The US invaded Canada with the intent of grabbing more land, The Americans burnt to the ground the City of York and killed many of its inhabitants. In response the British drove the US army out of Canada, Blocaded its sea ports, captured Detroit, Queenston, Washingtyon DC, Mackinaw, Brownstown, Monguanon,Dearborn, Frenchtown, Beaver Dam,Ogdensburg, Laciolle Mills, Prairie du Chien, Mackinac Island, Castine, Hampden, Bangor, Machais and Baltimore. Events only came to a halt when the treaty of Ghent was signed resoring the original borders. Sorry about us burning down your whitehouse, Library of congress and Naval yard, but at least Dolly Madison stood against us saving your nations honour . Still no nation is perfect especially mine.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

LOL. Nice post. I cant really envision NRA members killing each other off. Working together to defend one another I can see. The evil I can see coming from sit-x are the cities near military bases. Eventually the armed thugs will get in and get ahold of some heavy duty firepower, then use this new found power to enslave a city. The cities will be bad places for awhile until people start to turn on each other.

The state of Texas? They have a few guns down there I'm told, but per capita, Alaska is the gun capital over here. There was a report out last year claiming that one in three cars had a loaded weapon in it at all times.

Yeah but Alaskans are not hot heads, they are thinkers, they are more likely to buy you a drink than shoot at you
. I figure on NRA chapters joining up after sit x like the bloods and crips, various NG troops, local lawmen, etc etc, a natural migration of similar types towards each other. Sadly history shows us that even closely linked cultures turn against each other when supplies run short, so just as Athens and the other cities fought each other and then Sparta out of existance, local gun clubs, biker gangs, ethnic groups, NRA chapters, veterans groups, sheffifs depts, state trooper units, drug gangs etc will all prey upon each other in an effort to obtain the ever dwindling supply of food and fuel. Its just human nature, sadly experience has also shown us in places like Somalia, Sudan, ethiopia, Columbia etc cultures with easy access to gun inevitably tend to turn to them first rather than last in an effort to get what they want. BTW I am pro gun ownership, but I dont harbour any silly notions about common sense being used when it comes to surviving SIT X, Any nation that now not in a sit x situation that loses 30,000 of its people to guns each year, IS going to have a bloodbath on its hands in a post apoc situation.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl
Exactly what type of disaster are you people preparing for? If it's a natural disaster your "safe place" will be just as wiped out as your home and work. If it's a man-made attack then the same pretty much stands true. What are you going to do sit there with your rifle and chewing tobacco fighting off evil doers?

The topic of discussion might as well be "How prepared are you for a comet impact?". The answer would be very much the same.

Chewing tobacco. Thats what I'm lacking. Here I have my shotgun and my can of beans. Thought I was all set.

You and I differ on this issue at the core. Im not going to say I'm right and you are wrong. Theres enough of that on this site.

My core belief in life is to never be a victim, always have the ability to take care of yourself. This thread could be named how to protect yourself from flesh eating alien zombies that have baseball bats and will land on your house. Doesnt matter. The idea is to prepare yourself to be able to protect yourself no matter the circumstance. Yes, if a comet falls on my head its over. If I get hit by a bus walking across the street, I'm in rough shape. I can plan to take care of myself if a virus rages across the world, if there is total economic collapse, if food trucks stop running, etc...

Only a fool would say, Im preparing for the xyz, because I know thats whats going to happen. We try to not so much prepare for a specific event, but to be more self reliant, so if something ever does happen, we are not the ones starving, sitting in FEMA camps, getting shot to death, etc...

Be prepared. Boy Scouts have used that motto forever. Doesnt say what to prepare for, just to do it. Am I prepared if society collapses? Yes. If I get a flat tire, Yes. If the mutant aliens come, Yes. Just bought my alien be-gone.

Its not about any one event, its about being ready for anything.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by blowfishdl

Chewing tobacco. Thats what I'm lacking. Here I have my shotgun and my can of beans. Thought I was all set.

You and I differ on this issue at the core. Im not going to say I'm right and you are wrong. Theres enough of that on this site.

My core belief in life is to never be a victim, always have the ability to take care of yourself. This thread could be named how to protect yourself from flesh eating alien zombies that have baseball bats and will land on your house. Doesnt matter. The idea is to prepare yourself to be able to protect yourself no matter the circumstance. Yes, if a comet falls on my head its over. If I get hit by a bus walking across the street, I'm in rough shape. I can plan to take care of myself if a virus rages across the world, if there is total economic collapse, if food trucks stop running, etc...

Only a fool would say, Im preparing for the xyz, because I know thats whats going to happen. We try to not so much prepare for a specific event, but to be more self reliant, so if something ever does happen, we are not the ones starving, sitting in FEMA camps, getting shot to death, etc...

Be prepared. Boy Scouts have used that motto forever. Doesnt say what to prepare for, just to do it. Am I prepared if society collapses? Yes. If I get a flat tire, Yes. If the mutant aliens come, Yes. Just bought my alien be-gone.

Its not about any one event, its about being ready for anything.

The wise prepares as best he or she can for as many events as possible, the only who focuses all his attention on one scenario is likely to end up getting hurt or worse.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Alaskans are thinkers. I'll remember that one when I need a good laugh.

Seriously, yes, there is certainly a different mindset from Alaskans and pretty much everyone else I have ever known.

As for the US blood bath. As I mentioned before, the cities will be scary. If you are reading this and are concerned about sit-x, get out while you still can. There will be the biker clubs, the street gangs, cops, anarchists, neo-nazis, etc... competing for the same limited resourses. Those not affiliated will either starve, be shot for fun, or worse.

I cant see this happening in smaller towns. A good deal of the US is still small hometown communities. Good hardworking people. Sure, there will be some, as there are bad apples in every lot. But overall, most will simply learn to fend for themselves and turn to others who can teach them how to do it.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Yeah but Alaskans are not hot heads, they are thinkers, they are more likely to buy you a drink than shoot at you

Well, i guess I ran into the one Black Sheep that night in that bar.
He was a handful!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

I never said my country was perfect, it's far from it. If you are going to state facts like that about shootings, make sure you include ALL of the facts. Most of the time NRA members are involved in shootings defending their homes and families. 90% are criminals.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Lets get one thing straight NRA members do not go around shooting average citizens. They just go around and shoot those who disagree with there right wing point of view.

Sounds pretty stupid doesn't it. It sounds just as stupid as the UK vs American history lessen were being forced into by two egos who are to good to stoop to such childishness

That being said the original question has some merit but I just think its in the wrong forum. The lone ranger army of one Rambo types have pretty much left for greener pastures and the ones that are left can really take care of them selves and have good reasons for being the way they are.

The type we still have to subject ourselves to are the were all gonna die so why try type. This is a Survival forums not give up curl into a ball and die forum.

By the way OP welcome to ATS hope you enjoy it here as much as I have.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I live in northern Nevada, we have lots of bars. I also have good neighbors who know how to take care of them selves. I have a well I can get water out of if the power goes out. Enough food for about six weeds without poaching a beef cow. Put up another 3 cords of wood so I can make it through a winter. Nearest city with over 20,000 people in it is 120 miles away. yea I am small town calling a place with 20,000 in it a city. So I am as prepared as I want to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join