It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher tells 7 year-olds Santa's Fake.

page: 31
<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
"Daddy told me Santa is real"...."He lied."

"Daddy told me the Easter bunny laid eggs"..."He Lied."

"Daddy told me if I wished on a star it would come true"..."He lied."

"Daddy told me God was real".............you fill in the blank.

Another reason why Christian parents should not propagate the myth of Santa to their kids.

Granted, the vast majority of kids may not reach this conclusion.....This is just an illustration in order to make a point, so don't take it personal, especially if this did not happen in your case. Peace out

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Sparky63]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

Fiatflux, yer just goin to have to ignore saint4god. It's obvious he doesn't see a difference between religion and truth. He/she appears to see them as the two things which are alike and completely separate from Santa.

I wonder if saint4god would say the same thing about Hindu Gods...

How does saint4god view Hindu Gods.... as closer to Santa, or closer to Yahweh?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
"Daddy told me Santa is real"...."He lied."

"Daddy told me the Easter bunny laid eggs"..."He Lied."

"Daddy told me if I wished on a star it would come true"..."He lied."

"Daddy told me God was real".............you fill in the blank.

And what is wrong with this?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

And what is wrong with this?

Nothing would be wrong with this if you don't believe in GOD anyway.
That's why I qualified it by saying "Christian parents".

Really though...all parents should be concerned about their credibility. A child's trust and confidence in their parents is invaluable.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I know that your post was directed to someone else, but I would encourage you not to ignore opinions that differ from your own. We can learn a lot from having our thoughts and ideas challenged. It's also just generally good for society not to be intolerant.

To be able to dignify another who does not share your world view or your beliefs is a desirable quality.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sparky63
reply to post by HunkaHunka

I know that your post was directed to someone else, but I would encourage you not to ignore opinions that differ from your own. We can learn a lot from having our thoughts and ideas challenged. It's also just generally good for society not to be intolerant.

To be able to dignify another who does not share your world view or your beliefs is a desirable quality.

You crack me up. The only opinions I have an issue with are those which assume they are superior to others.

You can't ask me to respect the opinion of someone who wont respect my opinion. It simply doesn't work that way.

My Opinion is that Santa == Jesus.

Saint4God doesn't seem to respect that.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

You crack me up. The only opinions I have an issue with are those which assume they are superior to others.

You can't ask me to respect the opinion of someone who wont respect my opinion. It simply doesn't work that way.

It works that way as long as we don't assume our opinions are superior than others........

I can understand why you feel that way. I don't agree with you, but I understand.

Saint4God doesn't seem to respect that.
I don't know, I can't speak for him, but You don't have to agree with someone in order to respect their opinion.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
I'm impressed. 31 pages of discussion on Santa. Who would of thought?

Anyway, even after reading the various opinions on this threat, weighing what their points were, I have decided to stick to my guns and allow my kids to form their own opinions, to believe as they choose to believe and let them enjoy the magic that youth offers. Others may see me as a liar or a bad parent, I see me as a mom who allows my children to think freely.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by lynn112
I'm impressed. 31 pages of discussion on Santa. Who would of thought?

Anyway, even after reading the various opinions on this threat, weighing what their points were, I have decided to stick to my guns and allow my kids to form their own opinions, to believe as they choose to believe and let them enjoy the magic that youth offers. Others may see me as a liar or a bad parent, I see me as a mom who allows my children to think freely.

Exactly lynn112, that`s what this whole thing is about. Free thinking, without being persecuted for it by others. You are spot on with your right to do so. A star for you.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

I'm serving formal notice that you should disrespect my opinion and possibly put me on ignore because you most likely must breathe through your mouth to exist and won't like another damn thing I say about it any better.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Article11

Welcome to ATS. I see your new here, so why bring a bad attitude into it? It`s just a discussion is all, nothing to be PO`ed about. We`re all going to continue to believe the way we have, so it`s nothing to get upset over.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by FiatLux]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FiatLux

Welcome to ATS. I see your new here, so why bring a bad attitude into it?

Thanks for the welcome. Even though your welcome swipe is probably about as off topic as if I were to point out you can't spell 'you're' without making smart people cringe, I really, really, really appreciate it and hope we can be best friends.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   

OT:

Lol, hey, you`re welcome. I`m glad to see that even "smart" people such as yourself can come here and find a job. What would life be, if we didn`t have others to show us the errors of our ways, such as punctuation. Good job, and thank you, i stand corrected, and i am a changed person for it.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 05:48 AM
link   
woo woo woo,we are all arguing but in a polite manner what happened, we were all commenting yesterday that how nice it is to agree to disagree and now people are making swipes at each other, it doent matter if people can or cant spell properly, some times people make mistakes its one of the great things that human kind does, so we can learn from them.

so people lets get back on track or just stop the conversation all together it would be such a shame if petty swipes and name calling start on a thread that i think has been really entertaining and thought provoking.

anyway back on track.

i think there are simularities with jesus and santa as they both gave and give so much even if its faith and love not just material.
but i can see why people would argue that religous or not, jesus is a religion and for someone to stamp on their feet and say your mesiah is just a beefed up commersial man then they might get their hackles up.
but then on the flip side the religous fock here should respect other people beliefs in the santa and not satrt telling them they are wrong and will go to hell.
no one has a right to tell a child there beliefs are wrong or a lie other than the parent and then they should do it tackfully not just blurt it out in anger or to calm them down, that is causing menal grief.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:44 AM
link   
It has been said that I haven't a respect for another's point of view. I'm not sure where this had come from. Throughout the duration of this discussion, it seems pretty well agreed that the current Santa riding on a sleigh pulled by flying reindeer was not true (a lie):

Main Entry: lie
1 : to make an untrue statement with intent to deceive

www.merriam-webster.com...[3]

Some pages ago, the debate was not IF it was a lie, but to what degree children are affected. Some believe that it is a 'white lie' and causes no harm while others because it is a betrayal of trust between parents and their children.

Main Entry: li·ar
: a person who tells lies

www.merriam-webster.com...

As stated before, we're all guilty of the mistakes that we make, there's none of us who are 'superior' over another merely because a point of view or habits. That being said, it's beneficial to identify the things we are doing and comprehend all of the negative ramifications of our actions to make the best decision possible. The representing viewpoint of "do not lie" is in accordance with ATS's synonymous declaration to "deny ignorance". We come here in search of truth. Our children come to us as parents in search of truth as well. If a thirsty man came to you for water, would you give him sand instead? The motivation for telling the truth is out of love and respect for the child, so that they will make no falterings in their search for knowledge.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jkd Up

You really gotta laugh at this... I mean, all funny stuff aside. If we boil this down to simple truths this is halarious...

The parents are upset at the teacher... For tellign them the TRUTH.

How could you really be upset in a situation like this? "Sorry son/daughter... I wanted to lie to you for another 10 years."

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Saint Nicholas, Santa Claus, is not a "LIE!" It is a tradition. It is a tradition steeped in religion. I do not "blindly Believe" in a magical Santa Claus, I "faithfully Believe in a saintly man named Nicholas who devoted his entire existance (living and beyond) in christian generosity. This was a new concept that Nicholas propagated during and after his life. He advocated for women and children which was unheard of in the the 4th century. He continues to interceded today with many miracles attributed to him.

So, yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Editorial from New York City Sun 1897

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing which is not comprehensibly their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be man's or children's are little. In this great universe of ours a man is an incect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world around him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Clause, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that is no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart a baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now. Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Francis P. Church

[edit on 12/17/2008 by Missing Blue Sky]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This is the third posting of same same article from "Editoria for New York City Sun 1897". Things do not become true because of repetition, Santa Claus hopping down chimneys included. I'd included the definition of lie before, so theres no need to again, but the key part is knowing deception. Whether it be tradition or a 'white lie', it does not make it true.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Saint Nicholas is a factual historical figure who was present at the council of Nicea and directly participated in the writing of the Nicene Creed ( the Apostles Prayer).

St. Nicolas could Bilocate (like other saints including Padre Pio, who lived in the 20th century).

St. Nicholas had interceded in many peoples lives (afer his death) appearing and helping them and giving them things!!! He gave one monestary a year supply of wheat flour.

St. Nicholas does all this for the glory of God in the blessed Trinity. He is real and loving and he can see you right now, just as all the angels and saints can. Francis Church was right and this is what we must teach our children about our mystical world...it is seen and unseen and God is in control.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
...the mythological flying reindeer pilot...

...Santa Claus hopping down chimneys included.

This is who I've been talking about. Do you believe Saint Nicholas does these things? In addition, my issue is with parents who knowingly deceive their children. Are you replying to me because you believe you fit into this catagory? I'll forego the implication that I'm unfamiliar with who Saint Nicholas was. The thread is beginning to repeat itself so I wouldn't be surprised if it is closed soon.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
It has been said that I haven't a respect for another's point of view. I'm not sure where this had come from.

It comes from the fact that many of us feel that the teacher should have respected the illusion that the children were under in much the same way we respect the illusion that you are under.

Now if you were to say "The teacher should have respected the views of the parents, regardless of my own personal feelings on this matter"

Then I'd say you had respect for anothers point of view.

top topics

<< 28  29  30    32  33  34 >>

join