It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just Saw Shuttle Endeavour

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just a few minutes ago I saw Endeavour pass over my house in Spring, Texas (just north of Houston). It wasn't directly over my house, but it was close enough that I could clearly see it on top of the shuttle carrier aircraft.

I found this after I saw it and was reading it for more information on where it was heading because I figured it was landing at Ellington Field since it wasn't all that high up in altitude.

However, when I read that it said it was going to Barksdale Air Force Base.

But the thing I don't get is it says it took off from Ft. Worth. Ft. Worth to Barksdale Air Force Base is pretty much a straight shot from west to east. They wouldn't need to come this far south.

It says it was supposed to land at Barksdale at 2 PM EST, which means 1 PM CST, which is just about now. And as I said, this happened just a few minutes ago; within the last 10 to 15 minutes maximum.

So is this normal? Was it an unscheduled stop? Is it able to make up that much ground in that short period of time? Or was I somehow seeing it from far away (even though it looked relatively close) and it was really nowhere near the Houston area?

I unfortunately wasn't able to get pictures. All I had was my cell phone and the quality of pictures taken by my phone is pathetic.

(sorry if this doesn't belong in this section)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Interesting - maybe it wasn't the shuttle you thought it was - could be a second shuttle that has flown a covert mission. Seriously, I'm 100% convinced that some shuttle missions take place we don't hear about. Would be easy to launch at sea (there are actually specially design ships that can launch rockets (HUGE rockets) - I don;t see why not shuttles.

Also could do it in the desert easily.

There is stuff up there we don't know about - not aliens etc but just as interesting I rekon.

Nukes in space - I think so.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Its possible that conditions were just right (i.e. temperature, humidity, etc) that it looked closer than it was. Or maybe there was a weather system way up there at the altitude it was flying at and it had to alter course and that resulted in it flying over your house when normally it'd have made a straight flight east and west. I'd imagine that huge orbiter on top of that plane is very unstable and they'd have to be extra careful.
sorry I'm not much help. I have no idea why you saw it where you did.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by FunSized]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by FunSized

I suppose that is possible. But honestly, I don't think that is likely. It looked about the size of normal commercial airplanes that fly over this area. I live relatively close to Bush Intercontinental Airport so I see airplanes all the time. So I honestly don't see how it could be 200+ miles away and look close enough that I could tell there was a space shuttle on top.

I also forgot to mention that when I saw it, it was heading on a north to northeasterly track, which would make sense if it is heading to Barksdale from here. I just don't get why it was "here" to begin with.

It was cool to see nonetheless. I've never seen that before.

[edit on 12/11/08 by NovusOrdoMundi]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
It stopped and refuled here in EL Paso. I think they must refuel every 1000 miles and never fly straight anywhere. The pilot was in his seventies.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
OMG like a pilot in his seventies that is ridiculous. He should be banned before he buries that plane and space ship into some elementary school when he has an aneurysm at the control yoke.

Seriously - seventy - what a crock.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I'm in the Fort Worth Texas area and had the afternoon to go see the Shuttle and 747 land. I was able to take some video off the camera I had with me dont judge my shaky cam skills, it was chilly and horribly windy.

Shuttle landing in Ft. Worth Texas

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I saw the shuttle Endeavour on the 747 yesterday, too. I was standing next to the runway at Edwards Air Force Base when the mated pair took off. It was preceded by a C-17 that acted as a weather pathfinder. They were planning to make several stops along the way and possibly overfly Johnson Space Center - time, fuel, and weather permitting. Adverse weather along the flight path was a significant concern and the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft is only supposed to fly during daylight hours with the orbiter attached.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   

The shortest distance between two points for anything under ATC control isn't always a straight line.
Especially since they have to land so often. Their fuel consumption is horrifying with the orbiter on.

reply to Dutty_rag
I'd rather have a pilot in his 70s flying me than someone 50 years younger. Do you have any idea of the kind of certifications pilots go through? A pilot in his 70s is usually in very good health. Especially if he's employed flying something like a 747 with a shuttle on top of it.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
They were planning to make several stops along the way and possibly overfly Johnson Space Center

That would explain why I saw it, then.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
Their fuel consumption is horrifying with the orbiter on.

I figured that but why fly to Houston from Ft. Worth? That isn't any better than Ft. Worth to Barksdale AFB.

But if they flew over Johnson Space Center it makes sense.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
As rarely as they have to transport a shuttle like this anymore, it's kind of a treat for their employees to get to see it. You're lucky to have gotten to see it. I envy you.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
This was a special fly-over for JSC employees...

www.nasawatch.com...

I was lucky enough to see what 'I think' was the first piggy-back flight of Enterprise in the late 70's when I lived near VAFB. A sight I will never forget for sure

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Zarniwoop]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Thanks for the link!

I live right about where I put the blue dot:

It was very cool seeing it. I'll have to keep up with the shuttle launches. If they do the flyover again I'll have to make sure I have a camera capable of picking it up.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Around 1.00 pm I was driving on beltway 8 on north bond near JFK Boulvard, I saw the space shuttle Endeavour right above beltway 8 and channel 13 reports about the shuttle that it flew over Houston. So anybody can check the link below for that channel video report.

abclocal.go.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
my pleasure

You had very good timing to see such a sight (not being on the NA$A payroll and all

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Annnnndddd...she's off!
www.nasa.gov...

[edit on 12/12/2008 by Phage]

new topics

top topics

join