It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to choose one handgun in case the SHTF what would it be?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Unfortunatly its just word of mouth and the fact that I can't get anymore South African .308 or .223 from him because he can't get the transfer permits. He does have some .45 acp left but cannot get anymore and he might have to close up shop because he can't get any more ammo to sell. I got the last 5000 .223 he had from South Africa and the last of his .308. Ammo from Soviet block sources and the Privi from Czech Republic has dried up. Chinese sources still are sending but the problems of delivery are gaining!

Zindo

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I can't believe you guys haven't mentioned the most obvious choice:

A single action revolver made with modern steel in .45 Colt with barrels 5-8" long! A Ruger Blackhawk is more than strong enough to push 255 grain bullets to 1100 fps. It will take any game elk-sized or smaller out to 50 yards with a well placed shot even when loaded with blackpowder loads. The old warhorse can do anything the .44 or .357 magnums can do with a lot less fuss or recoil. Remember the idea is survival not combat.

I'm far more afraid of someone packing a smokewagon Colt .45 Peacemaker or Remington 1875 than a Gimp-9mm. If he hits me at anything under 200 yards from head to toe, I'd be in a world of hurt. I've seen blackpowder silhouette pistol shooters hit and knock down man-sized targets at 200 yards all day long just using open sights. As a joke someone brought out a 9mm and emptied a complete clip into the 75 yard javelina silhouette and still didn't knock one over.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

I agree with the hogleg idea. The only reason I didn't pick them as my first and second choice is the problem of slow reloading in a firefight when in SHTF situations. I shoot CAS and I love the hoglegs I own and shoot, but in a fight or flight situation I want the .45 acp with a few mags to run them off. And maybe a good old hogleg in the rucksack as backup!!LOL

Zindo

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Alright people, clearly we don't know how to maximize our potential. How
about 1 gun that can shoot 4 calibers (40sw, 357sig, 9mm, .22lr) just by
changing the drop in barrel and possibly the magazine. This amazing trick
can be done with the Glock 22, the Sig p226 & p229, & the XD.(Has to be
the .40 version of the weapon)

After that you need to think about what you want to shoot, fleshy things
you will eat and those you (hopefully) wont. A good selection of personal
defense ammo, Glaser or shot-shell rounds, and plain ball ammo would be
the key to maximizing your ability to survive.

Another fine selection would be the Taurus Judge, it fires 45long colt
(think older westerns with those big 'ol colt peacemakers) and .410 shot-
shells. If that doesn't get it done for you... Imagine a few rounds of buck and slug from that. Also it's a revolver so you have the simplicity of cleaning and maintenance.

For all those who are caliber obsessed think about a few things.
1. Shot placement is the most important part of shooting. Even with a 45
caliber 1911 you wont kill me with a limb shot.

2 The amount of ammo you carry is not as important as what you can do with what you have.

3The human mind doesn't know the difference between 9mm and 600,000
caliber.

For those with .45 glock, sig, xd - I do believe you can shoot 400 corbon
with a drop in barrel and magazines, possibly 10mm, not sure.
Another important note - first everything I said can be found with less
than 5 minutes on google and you need to reconsider what the most common caliber in north America is. Who carries the most guns you ask? Law enforcement - most common law enforcement gun? G22. .40sw is the most common round in the country thanks to law enforcement. If you look at it from a historical perspective .38 would have been, say 15+ years ago.

Also, how many of you colt 1911 guys can actually fix your gun? How many parts are there, over 120 right? Dont you need a bunch of tools too? The Glock is made of les then 40, and that counts the slide, grip, sights and the 4 parts of the magazine. All I need is a 6mm punch. Plus my fire controls are self cleaning. Mwahaha!!!

Also - for hunting you can buy 16" barrels for you pistol. If one pistol
is all you get take the above advice and end up with 5 weapons in one.

www.lonewolfdist.com... barrels

www.stormlakebarrel.com... more barrels

www.lonewolfdist.com... 16" carbine kit

www.lonewolfdist.com... .22lr kit

www.lonewolfdist.com... 33rd 9mm mag

www.lonewolfdist.com... 100rd drum 9mm

Also, who wants to be able to adjust their trigger pull for under 40usd by
themselves in under 5 minutes anywhere from 11lbs to

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Alright people, clearly we don't know how to maximize our potential. How about 1 gun that can shoot 4 calibers (40sw, 357sig, 9mm, .22lr) just by changing the drop in barrel and possibly the magazine. This amazing trick can be done with the Glock 22, the Sig p226 & p229, & the XD.(Has to be the .40 version of the weapon)

After that you need to think about what you want to shoot, fleshy things you will eat and those you (hopefully) wont. A good selection of personal defense ammo, Glaser or shot-shell rounds, and plain ball ammo would be the key to maximizing your ability to survive.

Another fine selection would be the Taurus Judge, it fires 45long colt (think older westerns with those big 'ol colt peacemakers) and .410 shot-shells. If that doesn't get it done for you learn how to pick the right fight. Imagine a few rounds of buck and slug from that. Also it's a revolver so you have the simplicity of cleaning and maintenance.

For all those who are caliber obsessed think about a few things.
1. Shot placement is the most important part of shooting. Even with a 45 caliber 1911 you wont kill me with a limb shot.
2 The amount of ammo you carry is not as important as what you can do with what you have.
3 The human mind doesn't know the difference between 9mm and 600,000 caliber.

For those with .45 glock, sig, xd - I do believe you can shoot 400 corbon with a drop in barrel and magazines, possibly 10mm, not sure.

Another important note - first everything I said can be found with less than 5 minutes on google and you need to reconsider what the most common caliber in north America is. Who carries the most guns you ask? Law enforcement - most common law enforcement gun? G22. .40sw is the most common round in the country thanks to law enforcement. If you look at it from a historical perspective .38 would have been, say 15+ years ago.

Also, how many of you colt 1911 guys can actually fix your gun? How many parts are there, over 120 right? Don't you need a bunch of tools too? The Glock is made of less then 40, and that counts the slide, grip, sights and the 4 parts of the magazine. All I need is a 6mm punch. Plus my fire controls are self cleaning. Mwahaha!!!

Also - for hunting you can buy 16" barrels for you pistol. If one pistol is all you get take the above advice and end up with 5 weapons in one.

www.lonewolfdist.com... barrels

www.stormlakebarrel.com... more barrels

www.lonewolfdist.com... 16" carbine kit

www.lonewolfdist.com... .22lr kit

www.lonewolfdist.com... 33rd 9mm mag

www.lonewolfdist.com... 100rd drum 9mm

Also, who wants to be able to adjust their trigger pull for under 40usd by themselves in under 5 minutes anywhere from 11lbs to

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I have a friend that was shot three times with a 9mm, twice in the center mass and one through his arm, and he didnt even realize he was shot until a few minutes later.

I figure that could help a few of you make your decision on caliber.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by patriot13

5 barrel are great if you have 5 trucks to haul around all that ammo.

I get your point seriously I do but In my opinion its not practical. Bunches and bunches of extra weight.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

SIG P250
en.wikipedia.org...
no questions asked.

Shoots 9mm, .357SIG, .40S&W, and good ol' .45ACP... completely strippable without tools, and it has the customizations I would want right from factory, or later on. It's possible the most modular hand-gun that's ever been designed, and it is quite at home along side weapons like the 1911 and P226/8 series as far as reliability, and it's more accurate than most "compact" side-arm pistols as well - especially with 9mm rounds.

I would probably have all barrels along if I could (and a few accessories like a rail light and some optics), but if I had to choose one barrel, it would be .45ACP.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by PlausibleDeniability

Was he shot with HP's or ball?

Roper

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
For my 1st choice I would go with the "glock 21sf" .45 acp no doubt,

and my 2nd choice would be the "1911" operator.

"glock21 sf" .45 acp has a 10-13 round mag and will NOT jam, on the other hand the "1911" operator has a 7 round mag and like most handguns, its receptical to jamming due to the elements. theyre both sexy tools/toys my 2 favorites

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I have no idea. I know that one went through his arm and another came out the front of him (shot from behind ). Only one stuck in him. When I saw him it looked like they went through him like he was made of butter.

So your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Since I get to guess, I'll guess ball. Unless the exit wounds were large and if he didn't know he was shot I'll guess again that they weren't. so I'm back to ball. It's all a guess.

A good HP will leave a larger wound channel. Hurt very much bad! Unless the HP fills with fabric then it won't. Hydro Shock, Golden Saber and Corbon are supposed to function through fabric. Anything can happen.

The only reason I have brought this up is simple. A good made firearm, with good ammo no matter the caliber will serve you well. 38 special,357mag, 9MM, .40 and .45ACP. I like the 357 mag in a wheel gun, 9mm and .40 in a auto load. I won't argue against the 45ACP. If the 10mm had a strong following in the military and police force I would singing it's virtues.

It really is shot placement.

Roper

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This isn't a dick measuring contest, If you cant shoot then those big bore guns aren't going to do a thing for you other then make you flinch and shoot minute of barn.

going out and buying a 44magnum isn't going to make you dirty harry.

[edit on 15-12-2008 by C0le]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by ZindoDoone

I must say, Zindo, that I really, really enjoy your responses on these threads. While I always respected the AK and its derivatives, I never wanted one. I only used them a few times when I found them on the battlefield and wanted to save my own ammo.

Great design, highly reliable, but it just never appealed to me. The Galil was different. Just as reliable, but much more accurate. Never got one of those either, but keeping my eyes open for a .308.

I have been spending my somewhat diminished funds on brass. I reload and you know probably better than anyone that the accuracy and consistency you can get with handloads is far beyond anything you can purchase.

Conceal carry a three-inch Kimber Ultra CDP II, and by my bed I keep a Springfield 5" 1911. I outfitted both with laser sights, and where it shines, I hit, even in pitch dark, shooting around a corner.

And if anyone ever tells me I can't hit someone at 200 yards with a 1911, then they're welcome to stand downrange that far and give me a few rounds to make the attempt!

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I'm originaly from Kansas. I hand gun hunted Coyote for years with an old Ruger in .44. When I moved back here to the North East to be with my family, I had friends I worked with tell me I couldn't hit a running coyote at 150 yrds. I told them that you could hit with full loads in .44 out to 500 yrds. I had to show them. We went to the Quarry I worked at and took a 55 gallon steel drum and I hit it with ease at around 450 yards. It was the furthest we could put it. If you know your pistol and you know where it can hit and with enough practice you can do what ever you need to with it! I ain't tried the .45 acp at realy long range, but 200 seems about right, with the right loads!

Elmer Kieth, probably the father of the .44 mag, and one of the best hand gun shots ever, used to hit a steel drum at over 600 yrds with ease. Some idiot told him he was full of Quano and he simply said 'If you think I can't do it I'll let you stand out at 600 yrds and see if I miss you!' No one took him up on that challenge!

Zindo

[edit on 12/15/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
For me, it's my Kimber .45 Stainless. And then add in a .22 Conversion Kit when you need an abundance of bullets.

Here...

Kimber .45 Stainless Target II

and

.22 Conversion Kit

One thing I do kind of regret though is selling my Glock 26 9mm to get the Kimber. The Kimber is harder to hide. The Glock fit in my boot if I needed it to. But oh well, the opportunity will arise where I can get another smaller gun again. I'm thinking about another Glock 26 in .40 or 9. Maybe a SPringfield Armory XD in 9. Or maybe even one of these guys in 9 or .45:

Kimber Mini Me

[edit on 16-12-2008 by Oreyeon]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'd go with my XD40. I went with the 40 over the 9mm for the higher knock down. Went with the Springfield over a Glock because I read many accounts of the case breaches on Glocks.

Yes, I know that most people report that these kabooms were the result of the ammo used, but I just wasn't comfortable with these reports. My thinking is in a long term SHTF situation, I would be forced to use non-factory ammo.

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
10mm round packs more power than a 45 and can fit in a couple extra cartridges over the 45.

DrEd

posted on Mar, 21 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
If TSHTF, I'll be using a Ruger P89. Not out of pure choice, it's just what I have available.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join