It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to choose one handgun in case the SHTF what would it be?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

Yeah I know , a lot of my friends made dirty harry jokes about my 'compensating' pistol and I would be the first to laugh with them. But since we are forced in to defining the parameters to only one hand gun , based on my own experience , I would if I were still a civvy choose it or something similar .

In practice , I bailed out of the US a long time ago because I saw this crap coming down the pike and did not want any part of it. If I were still in the fascist states of the republic previously known as America , I would head somewhere backwoods with a rifle , side arm and keep the hell out of the cities until the sh1 t blew over . And hope I only used my fire arms to feed my family .

I dont envy anyone still in the US right now .

It was big , it was accurate and it spat rounds where i wanted them to go .
Only fools and soldiers need side arms with clips . Only the later can really justify having one .

I prefer my tools to engage my skills rather than splatter bulk rounds , reveal your position and jam when incoming fire has the right of way . If ever a nation was in need of smart guerilla tactics its you guys right now. Hosing people with big clips and and heavy recoil is only going to impress Rambo wannabees .

How many times have you seen some jerk empty a clip in a parking lot to look tough ? pathetic .

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by DataWraith

Yeah, those dessert eagles are pretty mad arent they ? But heavy .
Not being a native american either I always saw the whole firearms culture as a big compensating thing rather than a bit of fun at the weekend.
Everyone took the piss out of my magnum , but IT WAS SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT TARGETS WITH . I sold my glock ,my berreta and the others ones I tried because they were kinda boring really once you got past the novelty of rapid fire . But that was the great thing about gun shows and stuff . Once you got bored with a pistol you could always sell it for what you paid for it . I did like my mini 14 .Thats a good value rifle but I only was sad to say goodbye to 'dirty harry' because he was the most fun.

No ,with the magnum you could take your time and savour each shot because it was accurate over a decent distance and it just worked with and felt part of your shooting arm . No uncomfortable recoil or kick . I hated shooting with the .45 acp thingos . I know its a classic and a nice looking gun but well whatever I guess .

I have no experience with this 1911 or whatever it is . Never played with one .

But dirty harry , what a lovely thing she was !. More than a side arm ,cheap to shoot ,easy to clean and the barrel was nearly as long as my dick .
She was a little cannon with grace and class .

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

LLAMA SUPER COMANCHE 44 Mag. with .240 grain hollow points heavy walnut grip, lower blowback than most expensive models. Marlin made a 10 shot carbine also. model1897, best all around brushgun.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'd take a WW I Mauser and load it with one bullet and shoot myself
in the eye.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Browning HP 9mm. I love this gat. I have never ever had a problem with it. I trained with it years ago and have never wanted any other sidearm.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I prefer a hand made .50cal with computerized range finding and on target stabilizer with deep rifling and stainless steel bullets. one mean machine... I think its illegal but you can whack a deer at two miles with this thing.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
springfield XD .40 cal. although i would also have my rifle with me more likely than my sidearm when SHTF. my EOtech aquires zombie heads pretty quickly.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I know this won't sound practical to many out there, but there is no other pistol I'd rather carry than mine. S&W .357 Revolver. I'm more accurate in a shorter amount of time with it, than I am with the S&W 9mm. Speed and Accuracy is what I'd aiming for, rather then power. Shooting to kill, would be the method used to conserve ammuntion...1 shot=1kill/very large uncomfortable wound.

Rather then rattling off a few shots and giving someone a few seconds to think about anything - which is most definitely how it would be if I chose the 9mm. Yes the ammuntion is readily available and quite common - but I'm simply not as accurate with it. In this sense, I NEED to choose which is most practical for me....not what makes the largest bang.

It also depend on What TYPE of sitx we're facing... And where I am living, and who I am with. (Would definitely want my speedloaders loaded ALL the time).

Edit to Add: I would NOT choose a Desert Eagle. Yeah its a nice lookin' fancy show gun, but in no way, would I find it practical. The last time I practiced with it I swear I threw something out in my arms, because they were sore for a LONG time.

Not to mention cleaning. Cleaning a Desert Eagle is like shining up your porsche. You take your .357 unscrew the grips and remove the springs and the bolt thingys and alltogether you have what? 12 pieces to look after? Quick assembly, quick cleaning. The Desert Eagle? I've never had to clean it, but I've watched him do it and I wouldn't want to have to worry about that in the middle of a crisis.

Of course... in the event of SituationX....the easiest gun to clean, assemble and reassemble and that is pretty close to accurate at 200yards, for me anyway, was the C7. If we are talking rifles, that is. Which is the equivelent of the M16 in the United States. Excellent Weapon.

- Carrot

[edit on 12/12/2008 by CA_Orot]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I fired thousands of rounds through a glock 9mm over the course of a year with no issues. I did clean it every time I came back from the range. The only problem is, aside from Plaxico Burress, I know two people personally who have shot themselves accidentally with glocks. So if you can't keep your finger off the trigger, stick with something with a safety.

As far as revolvers, you only get six shots, a magazine can hold a lot more, and be reloaded quickly.

For caliber, whatever you can get your hands on easier.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
How about that awesome grav gun from Fringe!?!
Season 1 Episode 4?
I mean bugger bullets, new age technolgy is already that far advanced the need for guns is so old, wanting one simply makes you look ancient. The best weapon is the mind, the best defence is the mind, alwaws has and always will be.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by kingdogol

Your right the best weapon is the mind. Its the mind that tells us to aim and its the mind that tells the finger when to squeeze the trigger.

The mind also knows that we as a species are not built all that well for survival so it tells us to use the tools we have created.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
reply to post by kingdogol

The mind also knows that we as a species are not built all that well for survival so it tells us to use the tools we have created.

.........and will continue to create.........and the tools we created that have been suppressed from the general populations awareness

It also tells us that we are apart of something so great, yet until we decide, the majority, as a species, to stop violence, poverty, corruption and all things humans know are 'bad' then we will stay trapped in a mind numbing paradox where sane people are labelled inasne, people of peace are hippies, and anyone wielding a gold plated desert eagle is considered 'the man'

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Glock 34, KKM barrel, titanium firing pin, and 3.5# trigger kit. 9mm is the cheapest and most popular caliber, not just in this country but the whole world.

One more line for fun.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Ruger P345 is what I carry everyday! Can't beat the knock down power of the .45.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Sorry I missed your humor, was getting late. Youre right on the sawed off shotgun, only exception I could see regarding a shot barrel shotgun would be an alley sweeper, those things just plain look scary.

Nice find on the 44 shotshells. Didnt know those existed, Ive seen them for .22 and .357, but never 44.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by WyrdeOne

(along with a couple of other heavy weapons that use big, angry-looking rounds that leave big, angry-looking holes in things)
love your sense of humor that was great.

I think the problem we're all having here is a failure to communicate. Some folks think SHTF and they picture an urban warfare, video-game scenario, where magazine capacity and whallop wins the day. I picture moving quickly to a place where the water still runs clear and the sky is not obscured by clouds of black smoke (civilization is not a nice place to be when people are no longer civilized) - in an instance like that your traps, your tackle, and your .22 will feed you, and the handgun is just for emergencies.

I'm picturing a SHTF scenario where you have to go from one to the other, with one gun, and have to rely on it for everything. Self defense against raging horde's of moonshine swilling rednecks with an alpha male complex, the random misunderstood teenager with daddy's 12 gauge and a propensity for random acts of violence, rabid black bears defending their young which you intend to eat for dinner, T-virus enraged zombies with a taste for human flesh, you know the normal stuff.
jk

I'm picturing a situation where you have to go from one extreme of urban survival to the other of nature survival. One man against all of god's creatures whether that creature has two or four legs, with only one gun to take you through the entire wild adventure, where at times "magazine capacity and whallop" could actually save the day.

I have enough survival skills that I could feed myself without a gun in the wilderness, which is why I wouldn't be looking for something to hunt with, just something for pure defense, against everything.

Edit: Typpooss

[edit on 12-12-2008 by ashamedamerican]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Only ONE hand gun in case the Stuff Strikes the Air Circulation Devise?

I would have a disposable junk weapon where the government could find it, and another disposable junk weapon where the bad guys could find it. Well hidden and for real usage would be the 9mm Beretta M-9 (military model only, longevity proven) and I would buy a minimum of 20 magazines. I would load with a standard parabellum round; 20 magazines loaded would be 300 rounds. I would then have a minimum of 900 rounds of ammo in reserve, cashed in numerous parts of my property. That's 1,200 rounds of ammo.

Being a multi-tasker, I would have a rifle also chambered for 9mm parabellum, also at least 20 magazines on hand, and again, at least 1,200 rounds of ammo stashed.

Lastly, a 12 gauge shotgun with a 22-24 inch barrel and a poly choke. Don't get the short 18 inch barrel, even if the poly choke is installed. You'll need to knock the wooden plug out of the magazine tube and you should be able to hold 8 rounds in the tube and one in the chamber. Again, 1,200 rounds stashed somewhere.

Lastly, I would get to know my neighbors, because you don't want to shoot the neighbors wife should she come over to borrow firewood.

I hope and pray that you never have to use your weapon of choice. I also hope and pray that if you ever DO have to use it, you will have the guts to squeeze the trigger. I, like many others, see hard times ahead.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by VDOG.45
Ruger P345 is what I carry everyday! Can't beat the knock down power of the .45.

Same with me
I love mine. Can be field stripped VERY fast and it is very accurate at close range. The farthest I've fired it is 25 yards, I imagine it diminishes pretty quickly after that, but at 25 yards i had a 2" group.

I'll tell you what my uncle told me when I called him asking for advice on what gun to chose as my carry weapon, I think it applies here. He's a retired Detroit cop, was on their marksmanship team and was a trainer for their tactical unit (basically SWAT). He said handle the gun and decide which one is the most comfortable in your hands. If you can, shoot it and make sure it's still comfortable. The best gun for me might not be the best gun for you. Make sure you do research on the durability and quality of whatever you are going to buy (durability-wise, can't go wrong with a 1911). I picked up the KP345 and it just fit my hand so nicely and comfortably, I purchased it and now carry it every day. It's a little big for a carry piece in a lot of people's eyes, but I'm a big dude and have no problems concealing it. Ammo capacity is a little low at 8+1, but I don't expect to be in any prolonged gun fights
(though I do carry an extra magazine, just in case) Add to that .45 ACP is abundant, any .45 would be a decent choice in a pinch.

You may grab a 1911 and not like how it feels. Try it first and see
An example of this is my uncle loves his Glock. I fired my brothers, and while it is a nice and accurate gun, I didn't like the feel of it.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I (HEART) Carrot.

You get and use what ever caliber/handgun that you can put rounds down range with and hit COM every time you press the trigger.

A Okla. Highway Patrol Trooper, told me " You can never have too many bullets". I believe him.

I'll just stick with a Glock 34 and 35.

Roper

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join