It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to choose one handgun in case the SHTF what would it be?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I would choose either my Ruger P-95dc 9mm, or Springfield XD45 tactical. If i didn't have one and had to go buy it now, i would choose the Ruger because of price and reliability. If money wasn't a factor, i would get the XD45 tactical.
And i have never had any problems with composite stocks or frames on any of my weapons.
I definately wouldn't want that .60 cal.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
another little tid bit The 410 shot gun will shoot 44 rounds. So get your self a 410 shot gun and cut it down.
Seriously tho the 410 will really shot 44 rounds.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

Cutting down shotgun barrels is highly illegal when I live, and Ive never heard of a .410 firing a 44 shell before. The easier, safer, legal way would be to pick up a Taurus Judge. Fires .410 and 45 colt. Never used one, but the reviews are pretty good.

Cant imagine however that the 45 colt rounds would have much accuracy after a few 410 buckshot rounds, but it is an option.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
If things were to get harry my 1911 in .45 with night sights. No ifs or buts.

If I need to hunt also I like my smith 29, its a 5 inch and I had the full moon clip job done on it.

I keep an extra main spring around for my .45, after 2000 rds change it out.
I have a couple of 1911's that I shot in steel plate match's, a factory series 80 colt and a Springfield that's compted. After about 4000 rounds the slide stop failed on the colt, the extractor was week from day one on the Springfield. Both were a two min. job to replace.

As for a .22 pistol I have put down a lot of animals with one.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by salchanra
reply to post by angryamerican

Cutting down shotgun barrels is highly illegal when I live, and Ive never heard of a .410 firing a 44 shell before. The easier, safer, legal way would be to pick up a Taurus Judge. Fires .410 and 45 colt. Never used one, but the reviews are pretty good.

Yep illegal here to but it was a joke meant for chuckles not serious. sawed off shot guns are next to useless good only for wasting ammo and making noise. You are right on the 45 rounds my bad.

Cant imagine however that the 45 colt rounds would have much accuracy after a few 410 buckshot rounds, but it is an option.

If you have a 44-40 how ever here is something about useless but funny.
Pre-Historic .410s - The .44 Shot Cartridges

I had no clue the 410 was the inspiration for the 410.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I have played with many of the toy pistols you guys mention. Most are crap really except up real close when its to late for a break down of civil order and a much better armed governement turning on its own citizens .

you need power ,range and accuracy which pretty much brings it down to a smith and wesson 44magnum with a 10" barrel. You can defend your self from a comfortable range ,hunt with it ,snipe with it and run with it . Its simple, reliable , cant jam and you can pistol whip an assailant with the butt if your fresh out .

Glock's are # in 9mm . Thats why my cop buddy sold it to me for chips .

9mm rounds are for girls and dress uniform loving desk officers .

357's are a good second best with a decent length barrel but I dont need any of these guns now so good luck with your revolution man, your gonna need it .

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by reconpilot

I have played with many of the toy pistols you guys mention. Most are crap really except up real close

I really hope you are not including the 1911 in the toy category. There is a reason why the professionals use it.

you need power ,range and accuracy which pretty much brings it down to a smith and wesson 44magnum with a 10" barrel. You can defend your self from a comfortable range ,hunt with it ,snipe with it and run with it . Its simple, reliable , cant jam and you can pistol whip an assailant with the butt if your fresh out .

Ive heard of and shot many many many SWS and never heard of a 44 magnum SWS ware can I get one.

Glock's are (S-word) in 9mm.

I will mostly agree with that one, but not completely. they server there purposes.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
good question! theres to many to pick from, i am not down with any glock for the simple fact of the double trigger that they have, you want to get your round off first, and it doesn't keep the gun to stable, but glock does have a glock 357 with up to 17 round clip that i like. .45 are ok, but find clips beyond 12 or 13 rounds is hard to come by, and accuracy limited by distance, its great up close but far from far away it could lack. everyone is forgetting that you can buy higher grain powder in 9mm, .45 and .40 like self defense round and hollow tips(which are over rated by the way) overall i would chose a .40 barretta with a higher grain rounds, because of the hair trigger, 15-17 round clips, and distance with good stooping power and accuracy.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by reconpilot

I don't believe you have a Model 29 in .44 magnum with a ten-inch barrel. I believe your know-it-all attitude is bluster, plain and simple. Hate to call a man out, but if you're going to tell whoppers, at least get your facts right.

The longest barrel the S&W Model 29 or 629 .44 magnum came with was 8 3/8 inches. And that's a fair piece of hardware.

So I think you just heard about the S&W .44 magnum, maybe have seen one in passing with the 8 3/8 inch barrel, also heard about the Model 460 by S&W, heard about the 10.5 inch barrel on the Model 460, and got your stories mixed up.

Plus, most of what has been written and retold about the .44 magnum is about 10% hot air, and 90% bull droppings.

It is a heavy gun, difficult but not impossible to conceal, with large grips becomes very controllable, and I've killed a white tail deer with my .44 magnum pistol at 125 yards. Don't anyone think I could ever duplicate it, but I was desperate. And very, very lucky.

But I'm not real concerned with four-legged animals. In a survival situation, it's the two-legged kind that will be most dangerous.

.45 ACP for practical, EFFICIENT knock down ability.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
A good revolver in 357.mag or a 44mag...Simple and reliable. You can find ammo anywhere..Easy to reload. A 44mag. with320gr. bullets will stop anything in North Amerisa..I live in Alaska, believe me,,I know//

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Browning 9mm with a big fat magazine to empty into the first NWO pig that wants to invade my home!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by beavertrapperak

Beaver, if I still lived in Alaska, I'd probably choose the .44 Magnum as well. I ran into a Brown early one morning, and my God, that bitch was as big as Godzilla! And to tell you the truth, that .44 felt pretty small right then.

You're right. The .44 will take on anything in North America, but when running into something like a large Brown bear, I prefer avoiding the opportunity to prove it!

Here in the lower 48 where the critters are not so large or powerful, I still think that over a century of constant service, the 1911 for personal carry is the best proven weapon and cartridge in that it is so efficient.

You give me a few rounds, and at 200 yards, I'll hit a man. That bullet is large, fat, slow, but so damned consistent. I'll just walk the hits right on in.

You do live in God's country.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm not much of a gun guy, but I would be happy taking a Desert Eagle or a CZ75. Works for me, however I think I would lean more towards the CZ.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I think I still stand by my original statement.
Classic Colt .45 ACP Government model, single action, single stack, battle tested.

Call me a purist, I have an irrational prejudice against composites when it comes to life and limb, it requires no tools to field strip, and like 'Frogs' said "It worked for Grand-dad, it worked for dad, it will work for me."

I wouldn't mind a spurless .357 for a backup, or maybe even a .45 revolver, but main choice is still the good 'ol 1911.

No ask the audience, no phone a friend, final answer.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:31 PM
link   
S&W M28 .357 6". Federal 125 gr HP because it likes them. While the M1911 guys are getting my range at 200 yds I'll be able to acquire a few more 1911's for my collection. At close range, as good or better than a .45 at one shot stops. Smooth trigger, target sights, solid construction. Shotshells for birds and .38 for small game.

My all time favorite personal weapon was an Oerlikon 20mm but the ammunition is too hard to find and too heavy to carry.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:22 AM
link   
why does it have to be a handgun, over this side of the pond rifle ammo is way more common, not to mention the reliability of a mauser type bolt action rifle is equal to or better than that of a revolver.
i have a remmington produced m1917 .30-06, i still use it for hunting.
other than that i would pick a .22 cal handgun simply because in europe it would be the easiest handgun calibre to find.
a lot of weapons spring to mind, quite a lot of people own shotguns, myself included.

*EDIT*
on second thought i would also consider the Husqvarna M/40
simply because its made by the same company that made my grandmothers sewing machine.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Oodain]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If the SHTF, and I only get 1 handgun - it's gotta be the HK Mark23 Socom, with suppressor.

My reasoning is with that weapon, I'll be able to quietly acquire some bigger fire power from my adversary. I'm not hunting with it, I'm using it as leverage to improve my situation.

Git 'er done!!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by dooper

The model I bought at the puyallup gun show was a custom model with a hair trigger and scope . Im not one of those nerdy types who quotes model numbers and all that crap. This I can tell you . You could instinct shoot tin cans at 50 yards easy without using scope or iron sights . And it had a ten inch barrel which combined with the weight of the scope meant you got very little kick up unlike those piss ant hard kickin .45's my friend thought were so great . Its just a gut buster for close quarters combat . If your stupid enough to go close quarters so you can fantasise about being a green beret ,go for it .

No , I dont know who put that magnum together but he did a bang up job and I miss that gem of a six shooter . The barrel I guess was custom made but it was not a heavy bull barrel , just the full ten inches .

My buddy snapped it up when I said I was selling it. Now its his favourite piece .

he had guns out the ass. You name it ,he had one in his collection. I got to try all of them . I just thought my magnum was a damn fine pistol with or without the scope. I never could get over how well balanced and accurate it was . glock rounds drop so quick ! Berreta's are not much better . They are just so limited in range ,dropping power and accuracy .
But if you are just looking at self defense in a close quarters situation I guess they serve . I would want something I could survive with, not confront with when you are outgunned by cops and god knows what else .

But like I said , your primitive arms are nothing to the toys I get to play with now . Compensate all you want but if you knew whats coming you may think twice about pulling toys out at a mini me party .

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 01:57 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

@ the S&W 10.5". We're not making blue movies man...

All I can hear is the guy from Blazing Saddles "Excuuuuuse me while I whip this out."

I gotta say - I can understand barrels that long on handguns if you frequent the grasslands of Africa, and hunt out of the back of a jeep, but out in the pines, a clear line of sight past a few dozen yards is a rarity.

A 5.5 pound revolver that takes 5.5 seconds to draw and requires a freakin' benchrest to be accurate - not my definition of an ideal survival handgun.

On topic..the 1911 is a great gun, with a storied history, but it's still an automatic (and depending on which one you get, and what you do to it while in the throes of 1911 tinkerlust, it's one of the more obnoxious ones), and automatics are, as a rule, less reliable than revolvers.

I really do think it's a wonderful firearm, and definitely the only handgun for me in the general sense (no other handgun with real stopping power has ever felt so perfect in my hand, or been so accurate for me), but we're talking about a very specific use and a very specific set of needs. I've tried really hard to overlook the 1911's shortcomings in this department, because I like it so much (in the general sense), but I just can't.

.45 automatics get dirty..quick. They are harder to clean than revolvers. A dirty automatic (especially a dirty 1911, compared to a dirty glock) is less reliable than a dirty revolver. They have more moving parts, and are vastly more complex in terms of troubleshooting and repair. The feed mechanism on a 1911 consists of a series of precise angles working in tandem, all of which must be damn near perfect in order for the gun to function as intended (or at all). The feed mechnism of a .357 revolver consists of..are you ready for it..a hole!

I'm sure the problem is just that we (the people on this thread and others like it) are talking about two very different things. To each his own, I guess...

If I was hunkering down in mountaintop fortress and fending off theoretical hordes of looters, or the red army, the 1911 would be an easy choice for me (along with a couple of other heavy weapons that use big, angry-looking rounds that leave big, angry-looking holes in things).

It's all jolly well to use rounds the size of your fist, until you're faced with the prospect of carrying a bunch of those things around with you through the tangle. It's even worse when one of those big angry-looking rounds turns several hundred calories worth of cottontail or grey squirrel into so much mist and confetti.

It's not a game-getter, that's what your trusty .22 rifle is for. The .357, for me at least, is an Oh # gun - it's the one you want to have on you when you come across a bear, or an unlikable person, and the .22 just doesn't cut it anymore. You don't need a lot of ammo for it - it's more like that 3-pack of flares in the trunk of your car. Who carries 500 flares in their trunk? There's a pretty obvious divide between prepared and retarded...

You could get a Ruger MKII and tinker with it I guess, and it would be faster and quieter and lighter than the .357, but it still won't make a bear sit down, and it will never be as reliable or easy to maintain, no matter how many aftermarket parts you throw into it.

I think the problem we're all having here is a failure to communicate. Some folks think SHTF and they picture an urban warfare, video-game scenario, where magazine capacity and whallop wins the day. I picture moving quickly to a place where the water still runs clear and the sky is not obscured by clouds of black smoke (civilization is not a nice place to be when people are no longer civilized) - in an instance like that your traps, your tackle, and your .22 will feed you, and the handgun is just for emergencies.

I know a couple of guys who spent a good amount of time actively searching for bears with no luck at all. The chances of coming across one aren't great. The .357 just simplifies the process of turning that bear's ass into a fashionable hat, should you be (un)lucky enough to stumble across one of those big bastards.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
From and Englishmans point of view , and not someone trained in the use of Handguns , But having Handgun fun everytime I come to the US on hols, I'd either have to pick the 1911 .45. or Glock G18.. Failing that , If I could dualhand 2 MAC 10's , looking cool as I spray and pray, but still not hit anything.

I have handled a Desert Eagle before when I went to Washington to see some friends over there, WOW what a cannon, I put .50 cal ammo in , fired a shot and then put the gun on the shelf and said word for word
" Anyone who can use this in combat has earned my respect and admiration" then I picked it up and emptied the clip at the taret.
Wouldn't want one of those though.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join