It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you had to choose one handgun in case the SHTF what would it be?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Just as the title states, if you had to choose one handgun, and only one in case the SHTF what would it be?

I would assume most people would choose something with 9mm caliber due to the fact that the ammo is everywhere, but taking into account everything else like stopping power, accuracy, availability of ammo, etc.
What would you choose?

I tend to lean towards a Colt model 1911, any opinions on this?
Benefits or drawbacks?
I have a friend who swears by his 'glock 21 plastic model' as I love to call it, but I don't know if I could trust my life to plastic composites.

And I apologize if this has been covered somewhere else I couldn't find it.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by ashamedamerican]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I agree with the op I would take my grandfathers special forces, Colt model 1911 .45, he carried and killed with it I can do the same. that and its a freakin hand cannon.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Coming from a Canadian with no gun...I'll be happy with anything,even an old 38 revolver.Ya i am that desperate.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

hahahaha

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Depends on what type of S is H'ing TF.

If I had to choose from what I own I'd take my XD in .45ACP.

I would rather take my Beretta 92 but it's an original federal testing 92 and those are known to fail at the slide under heavy use of +P loads. I know that my XD is more reliable over the long run.

If the S was just an infrastructure collapse void of morons killing each other for stereo equipment I think I's like to have a nice .357 revolver. Shoots two types of ammo and a revolver has less areas for failure than semi-auto.

If the S involves hordes of idiots killing each other for stereo equipment which would pose a threat to my fleeing the situation I would again reach for my XD.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Ok TrainDispatcher I'm going to have to pass on that one.
I doubt the ammo is very common, and I don't feel like putting on a football helmet everytime I fire it.

Not to mention that your arm would probably fall off after a few shots.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I would stick with the 2 most common calibers (.45 and .38 SPL)

I would ultimatly prefer a .45 on a 1911A frame as they are proven reliable. But, what do you do when it jams or needs repairing, which can happen when you least expect it?

Lowest maintenance = revolver. I would have to stick with a revolver type .45 or .38 SPL.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Do they make one that isn't polymer-framed?
If not how comfortable are you with a composite gun if your life depends on it, and it could be your ONLY self defense?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

No, theyre all polymer. I've seen them set on fire to intense disfigurement and still operate. I've seen them dug out of ice and mud and still operate. I've seen them run over and still operate.

Like I said, if I had to choose from what I have on hand this is what I'd go with.

Though, I havent seen a steel frame semi fire frozen. And I'm not sure how much pressure one could take before bends make it inoperable. For every plus a material has there is bound to be a downside and I'm sure Murphy will have us regretting any choice we made at some point down the road.

If interested:

XD Torture testing

[edit on 11-12-2008 by thisguyrighthere]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
If I have to choose just one... I think I'll leave my .40 behind and take my Glock 9mm. I love my .40, but 9 mm ammo will be a little more common, and it'll be a little easier to use the 9 mm to hunt with if need be.

Fortunately, I don't think I'll have to choose and I'll take both

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Very good point.
I like semi-auto due to the higher capacity and reload speed, and tend to lean towards a 1911 because unless I'm mistaken it's the most battle tested handgun ever. (please correct me if this is false)

But I do see your point, a jammed gun or broken gun is only as effective as a rock you could throw.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Like I said, if I had to choose from what I have on hand this is what I'd go with.

For the sake of arguement let's say you don't have anything on hand right now, and had to choose something to go buy.
Would you still stand by the XD .45 ACP?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I've already selected mine... I have two actually, both .40 S&W. The Sig Sauer P226 and the Sig Sauer P239. The 226 is a side-arm and the 239 is a concealed back-up.

.40 ammo is much more common than people realize - besides that, I have PLENTY!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Umm.. I have no problems trusting a gun which is mainly made of composite plastics. I can't imagine a more reliable handgun than my Glock 9mm.

They literally will take the most ridiculous abuse and still keep on firing. Not sure what I'd have to do to make the damn thing inoperable.. but I am sure it's a lot more than I would have to do with most guns. In short, your seeming prejudice against Glocks is based on very bad info. Their reliability is one of their biggest selling points.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Maybe. Not knowing exactly what the SHTF entails it would be tough to decide.

I would certainly go with 9mm over .45 for a semi auto. There's just more of them out there.

I think if I had to grab a gun and it had to last the rest of my life I'd go for a stainless .357 revolver.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resinveins
I love my .40, but 9 mm ammo will be a little more common, and it'll be a little easier to use the 9 mm to hunt with if need be.

I'm not sure I understand. Why would a 9mm be easier to hunt with?
A .45 would have alot more power to drop whatever you're hunting wouldn't it?
Do you mean because of the kick?

Edit: You're right I do have a prejudice against composites when it comes to guns and I don't know exactly why.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   
sorry guys i pick the .22 cal colt, ruger(good choice) or a Barreta(one i own) Holds much more ammo, (than a 1911)... ammo much easier to carry in bulk, (cheaper also) and if you get the 6-8" target barrel(which is still comparable to weight to most 1911's) as an opption it is paper plate accurate out to 100 meters(most .45's will just slap you real hard at 100meters).....yes it lacks the 3-10 meter knock down power but honestly tell me you will kepp advancing on me with 19-25 rounds of .22 cal. hollow point in all of your limbs....I just think ppl in general get the wrong idea from advertized(gun and police,evan military) hype......when have the military ever been truely alone.....one guy(needing to carry his own ammo), evan one family??? Try telling your daughter that she has to carry the extra 20-50lbs of ammo and it is to justify close range ego..not reasonable or practical use.....in my oppinion..yes the .45 is a great gun, i love mine, but put me in a life and death matter, with no home or shelter, I pick the .22 cal semi....
Not to mention it is almost stealth!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:28 AM
link   

I have to agree with your personal pick. There's nothing like a 1911! I have tried 9mms and they aare nice, just not the same. Glock makes a 44 that was fn to play with as well. But when it all comes down... Hands down; it's the 1911.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I'm going to go ahead and second the vote for the XD .45 Although my Glock 17 9mm is a mighty fine weapon. I've probably fired 500 rds through my Glock and not one problem ever. The XD .45 however packs the punch, and stopping power equates to survival in a SHTF scenerio.

Springfield Armory XD .45

The Undertaker

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Beretta 92FS, loaded with black talons

Oh how I wish... stupid UK gun controls.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join