It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Possible Low Cost Shelter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I just found this video. Thought it may have some good uses for our topic. If you are wnating to build a survival shelter underground, you will need some way to brace walls. This could be a low-cost solution. If you are wanting to build an above ground bugout shelter or maybe even a summer get-away palace. This could also be a low cost solution.

Low-Cost Affordable Housing

Maybe we could use this design and build one ourselves for cheaper.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
How easy would it be to build one of those earth compactors?

Great idea

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
How easy would it be to build one of those earth compactors?

Great idea

It is an exceptional idea. I bet a tool and die man could build the simple manual compactor in a day.

Any tool & die people on the board??

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Amaxium

Great find! I'm lovin this!

Not a one liner... Actually... It's a two liner...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Anyone know how to make a cement like mixture to mix with the dirt as shown in the video?

Kind of a crucial factor to being able to use this.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think I could make a hand press at work with scrap. I will be taking a closer look at this for sure.

been itching to build something more permanent on my northern BOL. This just might be the answer. I will look for more information and post what ever I find.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
A closer look at the press near the bottom of the page

Its looking more possible but on a smaller level some of that looks like 0.75in steel or 19.05MM

The thickest plate I can cut on my laser is 0.50in or 12.7mm how ever were running a little low on stuff that thick but I got 4mil coming out my ya ho, so we will have to see what I can come up with. I just have to figure out the measurements I wanna use. Any suggestions will be glady taken. Either U2U me use another method.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Very nice... wonder how well these bricks hold up if using as a basement.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

I found this link which gives specific dimensions for the molds used.

Brick Press Mold Dimensions

I am thinking of a good size which could be used for a variety of solutions. Probably the interlocking. Thier interlocking molds on this page seem to be about the right size. (29.5 x 14.5 x 9.5 cm) I am not a builder but I think this would be a good size which could be modified (cut) to suit most needs.

Let me know what you all think.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Im curious to know how these bricks hold up in different climates.

Winter, with -30c and snow.
Spring with lots of rain.
Summer with humidity and dryness.

If the bricks can survive that, then I'm building myself a press.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:03 AM
link   
found anartickle that may answer your question The more I am researching this the more excited I become.

CINVA ram blocks

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

great find!

that answers all my questions.

also a great read

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Do you remember the Pueblo Indians? They built thier pueblo houses all over in all climate zones and they survived. This is a step up from what they used. If you really wanted to get decorative with these bricks and offer a "painted" protection, use stucco. Stucco I hear is relatively cheap and can also hide imperfection

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Taylor Publishing offers an 11 page design-set of plans for making a ceb compressed earth bock press ...aka Cinva Ram. (Brick maker shown in vid)
Planslook near the bottom of the page for the link...

what they say about it

Taylor Publishing offers an 11 page design-set of plans for making a ceb compressed earth bock press ...aka Cinva Ram. (used by Fernco Metal to make the unit shown here.) Design based on engineered specifications for manual earth block press is provided. All dimensions are given in millimeters. Press was developed and engineered in third world countries for manual use. Welding of parts is recommended as part of assembly, and mechanical expertise is necessary to build these block presses. Xerographic, 30+ pages total information, sold "as is" as received from my resources. This means the plans are shown in mm, not inches, and you need a CAD or other program to convert; no lengthy assembly description is given. Booklet #535 Building with Adobe & Stabilized-Earth Blocks, and #1720 Adobe & Sun Dried Bricks booklet ($8.00 value) are included. Earth Press Plan set ..Item # 2010...$50.00..ORDER HERE

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Apparently these bricks stand up well in freezing temeratures also! I don't have to worry about that where I live in Texas except for the week of frigid coldness we get here.
Freezing temp on CEB's

I am getting more excited the more research I do also. I am thinking of just buying one. (in the future) I could crank out these bricks to build my survival shelter, underground shooting range, house, parents house, mother-in-laws barn, etc... After I am done with that, I could possibly turn this into a business making these CEB's. Who knows, maybe this will become the next "green" way of building houses as we are rediscovering the energy effeciancy of the CEB.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
A closer look at the press near the bottom of the page

Its looking more possible but on a smaller level some of that looks like 0.75in steel or 19.05MM

The thickest plate I can cut on my laser is 0.50in or 12.7mm how ever were running a little low on stuff that thick but I got 4mil coming out my ya ho, so we will have to see what I can come up with. I just have to figure out the measurements I wanna use. Any suggestions will be glady taken. Either U2U me use another method.

make the side plates from some 1/4" plate, and weld some 2" x 1/4" flatbar on edge across the horizontal. that would be plenty strong.

is your laser 1 kw? co2 or nd yag?

we have 130 amp plasma will cut 1" but not as pretty as the laser

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
edit to remove double post

[edit on 13-12-2008 by hotrodturbo7]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
One of my favorite topicks is my lasers. I have 2 mazak u44 spacegear. Ours is the 1.5kw co2 follow the link to take a peek.

mazak U44

in action
a laser does cut pretty parts but your plasma cutter will do more with a lot less electricity.

[edit on 12-12-2008 by angryamerican]

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   

6 axis rocks!!!

I saw an Amada with a similar setup but with a 4 KW resonator that was going through 1" like butter...if only I had $$$$$$$$$$

Back to topic

We need a prototype so we can have our very own ATS edition CEB press!

I am gonna take a stab at some preliminary drawings, maybe next week we can show and tell.

The ends of the press in the pic were just channel, the heavy plate sides are overkill. We could use the lighter plate with a longitudinal stiffner just stitch welded along the center of the plate and be easier to handle instead of lugging a 300 lb boat anchor around.

The specs claim 15 ton pressure which is NOT that much, the 1/4" plate should hold up fine.

We probably have enough scrap laying around to build a couple of these at least.

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotrodturbo7

6 axis rocks!!!

Only laser 2 is a 6 axis laser 1 is a 7 axis, they opted for the c-chuck.

I saw an Amada with a similar setup but with a 4 KW resonator that was going through 1" like butter...if only I had $$$$$$$$$$

4K ime drooling here. the things I could do with a 4K.

Back to topic

We need a prototype so we can have our very own ATS edition CEB press!

I am gonna take a stab at some preliminary drawings, maybe next week we can show and tell.

Sounds good to me

The ends of the press in the pic were just channel, the heavy plate sides are overkill. We could use the lighter plate with a longitudinal stiffner just stitch welded along the center of the plate and be easier to handle instead of lugging a 300 lb boat anchor around.

The specs claim 15 ton pressure which is NOT that much, the 1/4" plate should hold up fine.

We probably have enough scrap laying around to build a couple of these at least.

I am thinking the heavy sides are a little overkill as well but I am concerned with wetter material, bowing the sides if there not stiffened right. We have some of the best tig welders at my shop I could probly have them tig together two pieces of 4mm that along with side braces should be good.

I just got a new project to finish at work then I can get to work on this. so if all goes well I may be able to get started by Tuesday.

Take pictures for us hotrod and I will do the same.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join