It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Muslim student sent racist 'jokes' by 118 118 joke service

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Muslim student sent racist 'jokes' by 118 118 joke service

www.mirror.co.uk

A Muslim student has been left shocked after receiving two racist ‘jokes’ by a text service operated by 118 118.

Kameron Abbas, 21, used the new joke service run by the directory inquiries company after seeing it advertised on TV.

He was horrified when he got sent a message saying: “What’s the difference between ET and an Asian? ET got the message and went home.”

Stunned he then requested another, using his friend Imran Shah’s phone, and received: “How do you save a drowning Pakistani? Take your foot off his head.”

The student from the University of Central Lancashire is now considering legal action against the firm, which admitted a ‘breach of standards’.

He said: “We couldn't believe the response. It was more Bernard Manning than Harry Hill. It was disgraceful and these people should be reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 11-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Sounds kind of crazy.

It's so out of order that some people can sit in a call centre or data centre and decide to send out jokes like this.

Surely there are some safeguards in place to stop this kind of thing happening.

I have seen this service advertised and just thought it was a computerised thing, but the article seems to make out that it is a real human typing jokes out.

This could cause big problems if those responsible aren't found and disciplined.

Imagine if they send a prophet mohammed based joke to someone with fundamentalist leanings? Biiiiiiig problems for that company then!

I know it's the Mirror and that it's not the most reliable paper in the world, but this really caught my eye and I thought it may generate some interesting discussion.

Peace,

MGGG

www.mirror.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: fixed source link]

[edit on 11-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I'm all for being against racism but how can this be racist against muslims?

'Muslim' is just an opinion of the mind (like all religions) and is not an actual geographical location.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by machinegun_go_go
Imagine if they send a prophet mohammed based joke to someone with fundamentalist leanings? Biiiiiiig problems for that company then!

I guess it depends if they provide the cite along with it. Muhammad said some pretty wacky things lol

top topics

join