Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Evidence that NASA is altering the true colours of the pictures of Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thats the more "complex" and to the nth degree decimal point of obtaining white balance on a white surface. But its correct in ever way.

I dont think Kano is correct about NASA giving us the real deal with alot of these images however. They may be giving us real images that are oversaturated in the red spectrum, but there is enough green and blue spectrum within them to correct them to achive the proper white balance.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 11-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Read the original thread that Kano authored. It is linked at the top of the one I linked to. The photo released at the conference is specifically discussed there.

Props for your intention to research! Waist is a terrible thing to mind. (errr, or something like that....
)

Montana

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fatality
Well with that blue sky it could be possible they get some rain from time to time
. Its just interesting...how they use colors do deceive people. People see red sky and that everlasting sandy terrain and say , oh Mars must be a lost cause .

I sincerly dont understand why they hide all this stuff from the Moon and from Mars , i mean their lies can only result in people questioning their true intentions even more. I mean even if they said today " Hey guess what we can breathe on Mars" i doubt it will have that much of a influence on our daily lives..its not like im gonna go to Mars anytime soon

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Fatality]

It is very possible especially during the warmer seasons. But we do know that it does snow on Mars.

Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow....on Mars!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

The thing about your reference to the white balance, if I understand what you are saying that is, I don't think it would be accurate. You are saying you compare the white of the rover arm in the photos taken by the cameras on the rover with photos taken of the arm before launch. The problem that comes to my mind (a terrifying place to look at by the way,,,) is that the arm has been as covered by dust and discolored by UV and aging.

I don't feel you would get a true reference color in that way anymore.

But, hey! I could be wrong!

Montana

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I just read a thread by SkepticOverlord on this very subject. Kudos to him for covering this and doing good research!

Didn't realize that he started a thread on this in 2004.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
reply to post by RFBurns

The thing about your reference to the white balance, if I understand what you are saying that is, I don't think it would be accurate. You are saying you compare the white of the rover arm in the photos taken by the cameras on the rover with photos taken of the arm before launch. The problem that comes to my mind (a terrifying place to look at by the way,,,) is that the arm has been as covered by dust and discolored by UV and aging.

I don't feel you would get a true reference color in that way anymore.

But, hey! I could be wrong!

Montana

Yes that is true. The rover and probes do get dust on them, as seen in the photo Deaf Alien posted. But if you look very closely at his picture, you can still see some white in the white ring around the sundial. This is enough to get a close whte balance by simply adjusting so that the ring is as white as you can make it. Then once that is done, you can then further analyze the color chart reference tabs and see if they turn out a red, green and blue color, which if you look at my white balanced adjusted image of Deaf Alien's picture, that is what we get.

And the wind doesnt always blow or blow enough to kick up dust onto the rovers. And when the rovers do get dust on them, wind comes along again and blows all that dust off. Spirit's solar pannels once got saturated with the dust, so much that it jepordized the extended mission because the batteries were not getting enough charge from the soler panels. But a couple of days later, using the panoramic camrea, NASA noticed and verified thru telemetry data, that the rover was getting power again and the panoramic camera showed that the solar pannels were cleared of dust.

So yes in some photos where there is a huge amount of dust, you may not get a proper white balance. But that is true with cameras and images and video here on Earth, when you try to take a picture outside in a dust storm. The resulting image will be brownish from the dust and dirt all over the place.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Montana

As to aging and UV degridation, that would also affect the little color tabs in the color chart on the sundial.

And the probes and rovers arent that old to say aging would turn the white parts into a dull white that would indeed throw off a white balance.

If you did a white balance on an object that is no longer white due to age or UV damage or something like that, then everything else around it after getting a whte balance on the degraded white, would be way off, such as the red, green and blue color tabs on the sundial.

Also if you take a look at that adjusted image of Deaf Alien's picture of the dust covered sundial, the white balance adjustment did not throw off the color of the red, green and blue tabs on the color chart. If anything, it further enhanced them to be more properly red, green and blue.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
www.sciencemadesimple.com...
i looked this up because nobody had been talking about why the sky was NOT blue.
then i did a rayleigh scattering search here at ats and found a couple threads.

xfacts.com...

how nasa is messing up the pics doesn't matter too much to me. it's the fact that mars looks and might just be less nasty than they say.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
this is where i found some cool links to pics that makes mars look pretty nice.
also the xfacts from above.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Thanks very much for the links! I learned something new.

Now due to Rayleigh scattering, Mars sky IS blue. The red tint is just from all the dust kicking up by wind.

Hmmm, more and more study is needed for me lol.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
reply to post by fooks

Thanks very much for the links! I learned something new.

Now due to Rayleigh scattering, Mars sky IS blue. The red tint is just from all the dust kicking up by wind.

Hmmm, more and more study is needed for me lol.

Right! It is not all red all the time when there is no red dust in the air.

Same is true for the rovers and the parts on them not always having red dust on them, Even if there was, there would still be some areas where a little bit of white would be showing through the dust, such as in the dust covered sundial image you posted earlier. And I just simply focused on the area of the ring that had the least dust on it and adjusted so that it became white, then checked the red, green and blue color tabs on the color chart. Those came out unchanged, but enhanced to look more red, green and blue even with the thin layer of red dust on them.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

When those dust storms kick up on Mars, all that red dirt flings up into the air, making everything look red. But the wind does not always blow on Mars just as it doesnt always blow here on Earth. There are calm wind days and there are bad hair wind days.

Cheers!!!!

just curious.. how would you know that?
You've never been to mars and the only agency that has .. lies according to you, so with that in mind, aren't you using suspect data to come to a conclusion?

Are you someone able to figure out exactly what is a lie and what is real?
And from there figure out the "True" colors on Mars?

Are you that good?

Personally, with no science to back it up.. I think you're just another person with ther own bias manipulating data to match your own theories.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by gormly]

link   
sorry about this post not sure what happened

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by gormly

Originally posted by RFBurns

When those dust storms kick up on Mars, all that red dirt flings up into the air, making everything look red. But the wind does not always blow on Mars just as it doesnt always blow here on Earth. There are calm wind days and there are bad hair wind days.

Cheers!!!!

just curious.. how would you know that?
You've never been to mars and the only agency that has .. lies according to you, so with that in mind, aren't you using suspect data to come to a conclusion?

Are you someone able to figure out exactly what is a lie and what is real?
And from there figure out the "True" colors on Mars?

Are you that good?

Personally, with no science to back it up.. I think you're just another person with ther own bias manipulating data to match your own theories.

Suspect data? Everything I have posted has sourced directly from NASA and their images.

As to the dustorms kicing up dust on mars. here is more suspect data directly from a NASA website.

Dust Sorms on Mars

As to figuring out a lie, I cant speak for you or anyone else, but I can tell when I am being lied to.

As to me being that good, I never claimed that. I am voicing my opinion based on looking at NASA's data, which you call suspect, kinda sounds contradicting to what your trying to do here, and simple photographic processes that any amatur photographer can understand with regards to looking at something that is white, and adjusting so that it is white and then checking the nearby color tabs on a color chart to see if those too are correct.

Nice try to derail me here but try again.

Cheers!!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join