It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Evidence that NASA is altering the true colours of the pictures of Mars

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
This one is for you Yoda!

Here is a high-res image directly from NASA that shows blue skies and rocks of various colours and gradients. This image was taken by the spirit rover.

This looks more closer to one of RF's images rather than one of the raw Phoenix images that were taken in the infra-red light spectrum for analysis....

The colours were determined by Nasa from the use of their colour calibration tool that I mentioned in the OP.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by IceColdPro]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:07 AM
link   
From Spirit, dataset Sol 107 found HERE. A near 15* angle view of a mountian range, a small valley and of course, our blue head Martian band....The Rocks!

Full size HERE.

JAM IT LOUD!!

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 16-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by IceColdPro

Hey IceColdPro!

Ya there was one of the links I posted for him to see one of the NASA color images on their own site. In fact, it has both a color image, and their red saturated image on the same page!!

Here is the site.

I dont know if yoda looked at or not.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Hey IceColdPro!

Ya there was one of the links I posted for him to see one of the NASA color images on their own site. In fact, it has both a color image, and their red saturated image on the same page!!

Here is the site.

I dont know if yoda looked at or not.

Cheers!!!!

To be honest RF, I don't think Yoda knows how hyperlinks work

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Heh..well I would at least give the benefit of doubt that he could, I just honestly think that maybe he did see them, and then got even more uptight when seeing right off of NASA's sites exactly what we were pointing out.

I think that once that happend, he sort of calmed down for a bit, till another well known came along and just threw more fuel to a fire that was about to go out, and it all started over again. So I just ignored them and continued to post the images.

The more I think about it, the more serious I am in doing a radio show and put up a section on the station's website for the images.

I know a good number of well known names in the Mars research community I could interview like I did back in 2003. It may just happen before I even know it!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns

Heh..well I would at least give the benefit of doubt that he could, I just honestly think that maybe he did see them, and then got even more uptight when seeing right off of NASA's sites exactly what we were pointing out.

I think that once that happend, he sort of calmed down for a bit, till another well known came along and just threw more fuel to a fire that was about to go out, and it all started over again. So I just ignored them and continued to post the images.

The more I think about it, the more serious I am in doing a radio show and put up a section on the station's website for the images.

I know a good number of well known names in the Mars research community I could interview like I did back in 2003. It may just happen before I even know it!

Cheers!!!!

Sounds like a good idea. We need to get the word out and raise awareness about Nasa's responsibility to provide information the general public can digest, as well as pertinent data to the scientific community, both externally and internally within Nasa.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
From Spirit, dataset Sol 111 found HERE, more blue head rocks and mountain range. These blue head rocks seem to be everywhere!

Full size HERE.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I completely agree! Back in the early days of NASA, the Gemini program, the Mercury program, Apollo, NASA was informing the public on an almost daily basis and was very upfront with their projects and progress with each program.

And just as suddenly as the Apollo program abruptly ended, so did the openess of NASA to the public. Curious..isnt it. What was it that suddenly turned NASA civilian space agency into No American Space Access secret agency?

There must have been something out there that changed their attitude, or those who were in control and passed on that routine to the next generations and so on, so it continues to be elusive and literally incosiderate for the very ones who pay for their missions and exsistance.

They basically bite our hand off and say we are not worthy of either the science or the "pretty eye candy", yet we pay for it!!

There is alot to cover in a program about NASA. In fact, my program will be titled with the letters N.A.S.A. I wont give out the exact name just yet, but it will use those letters.

Soon, very soon!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
From Opportunity, dataset Sol 193 found HERE. "Mommie...I lost all my marbles"!!!
In this image, there are normal looking small pebbles and then the blue ones. Are these the same thing as what is covering many of the much larger rocks in the images taken by Spirit? Remember, Spirit and Opportunity are in completely different locations on Mars!

Full size HERE.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

So now that we have some solid evidence of official blue-sky photos, I will raise the initial question.

Is this evidence, in your opinion, that NASA is altering the MARS colors?

In my opinion, it isn't evidence that NASA is altering the colors by any means. As you have mentioned previously the dust storms on Mars cause an issue with photographing the sky. Blue sky also just means the presence of nitrogen, and not Oxygen.

Why would NASA want to shelter the public from a blue-sky on Mars?

Additionally, why would NASA want to shelter the public from the color of Mars' surface either?

There is no question we only see the graphics they release to us. I also agree that they are editing out any possible photography of UFO's because they have a false belief that official acknowledgment of UFO's would cause panic.

Would colors of Mars surface or sky cause panic?

My obvious opinion would be no. I would most definitely like to hear others.

Edit: Thanks IceColdPro!

[edit on 12/16/08 by Yoda411]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yoda411

In my opinion, it isn't evidence that NASA is altering the colors by any means. As you have mentioned previously the dust storms on Mars cause an issue with photographing the sky. Blue sky also just means the presence of nitrogen, and not Oxygen.

Incorrect. The gaseous composition of the atmosphere has little, if anything to do with the coloration. Due to Rayleigh scattering, all gasses (including CO2) will cause a blue color. Rayleigh scattering occurs when the particles (molecules) are smaller than the wavelength of the light. Larger particles, like dust, have a different effect.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So now that we have some solid evidence of official blue-sky photos, I will raise the initial question.

Is this evidence, in your opinion, that NASA is altering the MARS colors?

In my opinion, yes. I could give a million reasons as to the why, but I believe that the basic reason is to maintain the long established notion of a dull dead planet. The first issues raised about possible life detected, then recanted was back in the Viking era 1976, as well as the color issue. NASA had prior missions to Mars with Mariner 6 fly by and then Mariner 9 that went into orbit and got more pictures.

Perhaps NASA is not altering the colors per say, but we do know that even with the limited bandwidth filters on the Spirit and Opportunity rovers, that there are many images where there are clearly no dust storms going on and even in NASA's own images with the red saturation, there is still no evidence of dust storms that would cause the images to come out so red.

The limited bandwidth filters will show that much. Even in the black and white images when no filters are used. And of course, we got images from NASA that are not always red, and even one of their websites shows two different images, one with the combined color and one all in the familiar red. It is true that the color images are not exactly true color because of the limitations of the bandwidth filters. But even then, are they so limited as to only see red even when no dust storms are happening?

Its just my opinion based on what I know about the electromagnitic spectrum and being a degreed engineer from NMSU and Texas Tec. And also from working with optics and photography in my early years after college at the HAFB/WSMR photo/optical division shooting test films of various stuff. Granted that is not the same thing as these cameras and filters are, but I understand the principles of what they are capable of doing even with their limited filters. I dont debate the science or the fact of the limited bandwidth filters on the cameras, not at all.

But there are techniques to extend the bandwidth of those filters, and get at least close approximations to the actual bandwidth curves for the missing filter ranges, and get the images that you see from my examples.

My efforts are not to dispute Cornell University's results either. But even their images are not very far off from NASA's red images. Its just my opinion and I cannot prove it or show evidence to this opinion, but I dont think Cornell's final image results are telling us any more truth than NASA's images, considering they are so close to almost being identical with the red saturation.

Why would NASA want to shelter the public from a blue-sky on Mars?

Additionally, why would NASA want to shelter the public from the color of Mars' surface either?

Of course this is all speculation. But in a previous post, I commented on NASA's history during the Gemini, Mercury, and Apollo programs. During these era's of the early space program, NASA was very open and almost on a daily basis, informing the public with more than just 2 minute news clips and a few words. They would literally spend a half hour or more showing the public via the 3 major news networks, their progress and projects in each of these space programs.

Then suddenly, after Apollo 18 came home and the Saturn 5 rocket and entire infrastructure, was stripped to nothing, and just as suddenly as the final frontier was within our grasp, it all came to a shattering hault, as did NASA's openess to the public. It makes me wonder what did they find out there during Apollo, if anything, to suddenly stop the program and the openess of NASA to the paying public.

Then we have "The Viking Summer", when we launched 2 VW bus sized probes to Mars. One landed on one side of Mars and the other landed almost 180 degrees of the other on the opposite side of the planet.

Almost instantly, we got to see the first pictures of Mars up close and from the surface. This lasted about a month. Then suddenly, just like the Apollo program, it came to a hault. This occured during the experiment stage of the mission to look for signs of life, known as the "chicken soup" experiment. The results were mixed, and debated for many months, but even with the debating going on, nothing further came from NASA about other tests or any new information. We did get some more pictures, and those too were red saturated, including the white parts on the probes, and the American flag did not have a nice red, white and blue. And in those images, it was very clear that there was no dust storm going on.

There is no question we only see the graphics they release to us. I also agree that they are editing out any possible photography of UFO's because they have a false belief that official acknowledgment of UFO's would cause panic.

Well in my opinion, no it would not cause a panic. People today are much more sophisticated than those of 1930's during the so called "war of the worlds" experiment. However, because of the Brookings report given to NASA and Congress, apparently the notion that disclosure of UFO's or ET's or life on Mars in a bluish Earthlike environment would cause problems of great magnitude in not just society, but also with religious implications too.

Would colors of Mars surface or sky cause panic?

My obvious opinion would be no. I would most definitely like to hear others.

I fully agree, no it wouldnt. If anything, it would inspire and develop renewed interest by the public in the space program. And perhaps with more of that, NASA will become the agency it once was back in the 60's. I dont hate NASA at all, it is a great leader in the space program. It is just those certian few with the control switch of the "Go" and "No Go" light that are keeping everything so confidential and covered up. There are many in NASA that are also tired of the same old game and want to make NASA what it once was and get things moving along again.

Some of the problem however, is also political will and vision. We are about to get a new administration into office, and already, there is evidence that the new administration wont move forward with the space program. If anything, they may chop it up even more than what it already is.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Progress report: I got the program to output a bmp file from 6 filtered images, but the colors are somewhat wrong. I do not know what I did wrong.

I have been busy, stressed out, and tired lately. A situation arose the past three days, so sorry for my slow progress.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deaf Alien
Progress report: I got the program to output a bmp file from 6 filtered images, but the colors are somewhat wrong. I do not know what I did wrong.

I have been busy, stressed out, and tired lately. A situation arose the past three days, so sorry for my slow progress.

Hi DA!

Do not worry about the program, take your time and deal with other more important issues first, and get rest! Thats also important!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Thanks

Uhhhh, close but no cigar

using all 6 filters with interpolation and math formulas.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

At least your putting the effort forth. We all appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Deaf Alien

Well its working, just needs the fine tuning and bug removal procedures! Not bad DA, not bad at all!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
From Opportunity, dataset Sol 202 found HERE.

Now this one is very strange, though not the only one. I have found other similar strange ones in other datasets. What is so strange about this, is the size! It is soooo tiny! Even the raw data images are tiny! Why? Why would this, and others, be incredibly tiny in frame size? The raw data images are only 128x128!! And if you try to increase that, of course, you end up with a very big mess! Again, why would NASA publish on the dataset such a rediculous size for an image!!

It only adds to the large and ever growing suspicion about what NASA does with OUR data. I find this one, and the others like it, a big slap in the paying public's face. There must be something in this image that if it were seen in a size like their others, which most are 1024x1024, that they dont want us to be able to see clearly. On the dataset Sol 202, there are plenty of image data that measure 1024x1024. But this one, is only 128x128!!!

I have attempted to enlarge this as much as possible and to enhance the sharpness as much as possible before serious processing artifacts could overtake the effort. The image began to heavily pixilate byond 320x320.

These are presented in the order I enlarged them, begining with the original 128x128, then to 236x236, then the final 320x320. At each step, I would attemp some sharpening and edge detection to help clean up the image as it progressed up in size. Again, the raw data size can be verified by going to the source link above.

1st level original size. 128x128

2nd level size 236x236

2nd level size with sharpening applied 236x236

3rd and final size 320x320

Strange, isnt it. Considering on the same dataset, there are plenty of 1024x1024 sized data images to work with.

Some would say..well its to preserve data space and so on. I dont buy that. There has to be a real reason why this is so small, as well as others on the datasets.

Enjoy..and wonder.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   
From Opportunity, dataset Sol 248 found HERE. A great closeup of a rocky edge hill and a huge rock between the hill and the rover. It almost looks like something crouching down to get out of the way of the shot or worshiping the hill!

Full size HERE.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
haha i was on the nasa site looking at some photos, and the ones that appear to be the correct color are labeled as "false color" what the heck is up with that?
an example:
marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov...

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join