It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US tests Terminator Type Killer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

US tests

www.news.com.au

WEAPONS maker Lockheed Martin has tested a hovering robot intended to shoot down enemy ballistic missiles.

Video of the December 2 flight test of the "Multiple Kill Vehicle," at Edwards Air Force Base in California, has made it onto YouTube, and it looks like something out of the Terminator movies.

Inside a large steel cage, Lockheed's MKV lifts off the ground, moves left and moves right, rapidly firing as flames shoot out of its bottom and sides, FOXNews reports.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 12/11/2008 by biomehanika]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Science fiction coming true. After the Japanese record dreams on computers the US builds terminators. I bet Arnold had a Hand in that. What are your views on this? The only advantage i see is you wont be risking the lives of soldiers in the future.... Does that make the US invincible? How will Russia and China React to this?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
There is another thread about that. But this device isnt new, its several years old and was an early attempt at making a hovering recon vehicle.

Problem was the sheer noise it makes. It would not have been very usefull as a recon device when its noise would alert whomever it was trying to focus on.

The unit couldnt be a very effective anti-missle weapon either. With a payload of anit-missle missles it would have to be much larger, make even more noise, and use up alot more fuel than they wanted.

Orbiting satellites can do the anti-missle defense far better. Its a neat device tho....noise maker IMO.

Cheers!!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:22 AM
link   
yes, the same experimental device shown is more than a decade old.
I have a video of same device taped on vhs from discovery channel from about 1997.

They are probably scrounging for funding by showing some old experiments and adding flashy graphics.
"Hi pentagon, here's my 2 foot long model aeroplane. See it flies! Give me a billion bucks and I'll make one that can bomb ...insert target of choice....".

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:25 AM
link   
It kind of looks like a jet powered - lo tech version of the flying things in half life 2 or the security bot's in bioshock. I suppose it's only a matter of time before we see something like this patrolling our street's. cmr

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:33 AM
link   
This does not operate on earth. It is meant to deploy in space and kill missile warheads.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Oh I don't Know.... I think I could find a great niche for the gizmo in riot control. I bet "mace happy" police would love to throw that thing into a crowd of peaceful protesters. Perfect crowd dispersal tool....after mace of course.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
This does not operate on earth. It is meant to deploy in space and kill missile warheads.

Nope. In space you dont need consistant thrusters to move. You just need very light bursts to adjust trajectory, angle, pitch, roll, yaw.

It would go flying way off kilt with the thrusters on that thing fireing like they are in that test. But again, there are already better defense units up there that this unit would be better served as a party noise maker or conversation piece at the next Smithsonian museum aniversary celebration.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by biomehanika

Good thread, bio- this thing is somethin!

But what if it short-circuits? Another gun without a brain!!!

new topics

top topics

join