It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow In Texas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Anyone here from Texas get hit by the "snow storm" that just came through? I'm in Spring, just north of Houston, and it snowed pretty much all day here. We got a light dusting on the ground and the roofs of the houses are white.

It amuses me that people here are talking about closing schools tomorrow. I just moved here from Michigan where I lived for 12 years so needless to say it's pretty comedic to see how the whole city flips out over a dusting of snow.

Not to mention that they feel it necessary to drive 10 miles per hour under the speed limit just because the snow made the roads a little wet.

If you live in Texas and got snow recently, post about it! Hate it? Love it?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
I used to live in west Texas (Odessa) and when it snows out there, its a miracle because 10 months out of the year its warm spring like weather. And when the cool season hits, they call it cool sesaon because it rarely drops below 40, people do freak out if there is a 1/4 inch of snow.

Where Im at now, its not uncommon to get 5 to 12 inches if not more!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
i live in Canada, it went -30 degrees CELSIUS, and i still went to school, on the other side of town, i gotta say, southern America is fill of wimps, no offense intended

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by outrider
i live in Canada, it went -30 degrees CELSIUS, and i still went to school, on the other side of town, i gotta say, southern America is fill of wimps, no offense intended

Agreed Outrider!
Hey there Texans..hows about I send ya'll some of the 3 feet of snow I got?
MERRY CHRISTMAS!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Wait til August . We'll be glad to see it.
Really.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by badgerprints]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by outrider
southern America is fill of wimps, no offense intended

None taken. I agree these people are a little weak. It's been in the 60's and 50's (Fahrenheit; 10 to 15 Celsius) recently and there were people wearing coats and scarfs.

It's funny actually.

But, people up north can't take the heat they get down here so I guess it balances out.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Snow in Texas?

Must be all that global warming huh?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Here ya go..a taste of my world.
Woke up to this today!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Try out the Texas panhandle in the winter. You better bring a parka. That's no joke. South Texas on the other hand doesn't get much snow. Some people down there have never seen snow before in person.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

NOOO!

I am so glad I don't have to go through that anymore. It wasn't quite that extreme in Michigan, but when it gets that out of control, you can't really tell the difference.

Our light dusting is gone, by the way.

Grass is back, roofs are clear, roads are dry, it's sunny, and we're in the 50's. 60's tomorrow!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusOrdoMundi

Iam SO jealous.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
reply to post by nyk537

Try out the Texas panhandle in the winter. You better bring a parka. That's no joke. South Texas on the other hand doesn't get much snow. Some people down there have never seen snow before in person.

That aint no joke!! From Seminole on up, it can get very nasty in the winter time!! Sometimes just as bad as it can get along I-25 right up through Colorado, if not worse!!

I could still handle the nice hot Texas weather, I have not been away that long to become so used to the cold where I am at now. Just 3 days ago we woke up to snow like what is in that video!! Not as much but pretty darn close!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
well I'm In San Antonio right now and for some reason, we just don't get snow anymore like Houston, Victoria, and Brownsville. LOL. I Say these places because even though Kerr, Blanco counties have gotten some snow, nothing to really build a snowman out of.

Snow is a welcome sight here in South Texas, but with much of the hill country getting it, all we get here in the Alamo city is some Icy roads and the TxDOT don't put down Salt, they put down Sand. isn't that (*&^^ up. I know how to drive in the Snow, but please people down here don't know how to drive and the city shuts down when we get Icy rain. Snow is a more pleasant sight instead of Ice.

I'm jealous of my brother, he lives in tomball and he got some of the white stuff if only for a few hours.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sirbikesalot06

Yep. I'm not far from Tomball. It was coming down pretty good at one point at about 6-7 PM local time, at least compared to what southeast Texas is used to.

I haven't had the privilege of driving on sanded roads yet, but I've heard people question why they even do it. Salt does the trick just fine (went through plenty of that in Michigan to know).

I don't understand why people drive so bad in the snow. Snow doesn't cause accidents unless the visibility is poor. Aside from that, snow is actually better to drive in than rain. Rain makes your visibility poor just by soaking the windshield; snow just blows right over and around your windshield and car (unless you're at a stop).

It's ice that causes the accidents. I've had a couple of spin-outs in Michigan because of ice
Fun stuff...until you hit someone, I suppose...

new topics

top topics

join