It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

some thoughts on telepathy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Could telepathy be possible? (not in the Hollywood sense)

Did you know that trees can talk with each other?

In both experiments, the tress in different plots did not communicate through their roots or other organs, the only conclusion being that they communicated with each other by air, employing warning pheromones. Thus, plants are not passive, at the mercy of natural phenomena and attackers.
Source

Humans also release pheromones, for the most part; unconsciously.

If we could harness our abilities to release and interpret pheromones, write and read them if you will; then we could communicate as we do with speech. We form pictures in our head when thinking so if we could learn to read the pheromone signals; it would be the same.

We already subconsciously interpret pheromones so why not go the next level and truly learn what we could do with them.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by warrenb

Pheremones as attatched to telepathy is an idea I have not heard before.

I do not think it is a complete idea, many reports of "telepathy" like a wife knowing the husband has died at war or a mother knowing her daughter has gone into labor happen over great distances.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Hmmm. Pheromones.

Maybe the conspiracy is that chemical deodorants inhibit our natural sexual pheromones. Hence, population control.

Telepathy and Pheromones. Very interesting.

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

In the experiment with the trees...

Other experiments also showed that plants can contra-attack in group, and this is done using vegetable pheromones. When informed about an occurring attack, till 50 % of the compounds synthesized by a tree can be defense products, like tannins, alkaloids and peptides, mostly in leaves, their most vulnerable organ.

But trees were found to communicate not only for defense, but also to time their blooming. In fact, blooming at the same time can also be a defense mechanism, as the consumers will not have enough time to eat too many flowers, as it would happen if trees bloomed one after another.

Recently, parasite plants were even found to sniff their host-plants, selecting the preferred ones! Some corn varieties defend themselves against the root worm (Diabrotica virgifera) emitting chemicals that attract minute nematode worms that kill the root worms, which are in fact the larvae of a beetle.

Who's to say that we don't have the ability to send pheromones over great distances?

I'd be curious to see some experiments done. This is interesting stuff.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by warrenb]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
That's a very interesting theory, and I wondered that myself when I heard plants had this defensive mechanism. However, I don't think that the long distance argument is legit, I just have a hard time imagining the phermones reaching another person accurately at such a distance. There's probably alot more to it than we think, very interesting, no doubt about that.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Hey guys interesting timing for this topic, I was reading the following page last night home.xtra.co.nz...

They claim that all telepathy is done through light, as it's the fastest carrier we know of, and global telepathy (where the two parties cannot see eachother, and do not know if their mutual situation) happens instantaneously. One thing the article says it that it reminds us that plants have been here much longer than us and are likely more evolved when it comes to global telepathy.

Their thoughts on plant telepathy:

We are all aware that plants are living things, they take in nourishment (light), exhume waste (oxygen), and reproduce. But as you walk on grass, snap off branches while walking in the forest, or cut down your Christmas tree - did you ever stop to wonder that plants may have an intelligence, feelings, or even mental telepathic powers?

Some studies done at a southern California university show plants seem to indeed be able to communicate, by the first method we described last week: global telepathy. The following is one of a series GSR experiments done with plants. GSR stands for "Galvanized Skin Response" and is a small device usually used on humans in 'lie detector' tests. It is a tiny flat metal that when placed on and individual's body, measures the opening and closing of the pores in the skin.

This is wired to a machine that draws lines of the pores activity, which resembles the lines drawn of machines that detect earthquakes, or brain activity. The theory behind the GSR is that when a person lies, several responses happen inside the body, such as high pore activity, or a faster heart beat. Since plants also have pores, these series of tests were to see what kind of pore activity occurred when different things were done to the plant.

At first a multitude of simple things were done; such as what happens when the plant is watered, covered with earth, and even sung or played music to. Something curious was found early in the experiment. When ever one thing happened to a plant in the control room, many of the other plants showed activity as well (even though to a lesser degree). Was this some form of communication? The experiments were expanded to see if this was so. Half of the plants were then taken to another control room which was several buildings away, and a series of more complicated conditions were added.

In one of the more evolved experiments, 5 five people came into the first room of plants, each performing a different task (for example, one watered the plants, the other played a guitar one shined a high powered light, and so on). The plants in the first room showed their usual responses, while the plants in the second room showed none. Then, a 6th person entered, who had a pair of scissors and began cutting up the plants - more than a simple pruning to say the least. At this moment, all the lines drawn by the GSR machines showed violent reactions by ALL the plants in the first AND second rooms.

Later in the day, each of the individuals entered the second room one by one, but without their accompanying "tool" they used in the first room. As the first five students entered the room, there was no significant reaction by the plants (although there were a few slight reactions when the girl who played music can in, drawing lines patterns similar to the ones made when she was playing to the first group). However, when the 6th person entered, the lines drawn by the machine went crazy! Even though he entered the room without his scissors, it was as if they KNEW he was the one who "cut up" the first group of plants! Keep in mind the two groups of plants were in completely different buildings....

We often think of plants as belonging to a "lower kingdom" in the evolution of life, but forget these creatures have been on the earth long before the dinosaur. If they are one of the first forms of life on earth, then they have had to longest time to evolve. All life forms communicate in some way, and plants then have been communicating long before any other life form that exists today. The WAY a plant communicates (global telepathy), is then probably one of the most evolved processes.

The article doesn't go into the length of their ability. Meaning, it doesn't say if global telepathy in plants is strictly between 'family member' plants, or if it works across species of plants.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by king9072]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb

Who's to say that we don't have the ability to send pheromones over great distances?

Good for the trees but I don't think it's even been proven that humans have pheromones.

Even if we proved we had them, we'd have to prove that they could travel great distances without breaking down, and that the receiving person would be able to pick them up.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2

Originally posted by warrenb

Good for the trees but I don't think it's even been proven that humans have pheromones.

Even if we proved we had them, we'd have to prove that they could travel great distances without breaking down, and that the receiving person would be able to pick them up.

I think it has been proven we do have pheromones. Though its not conclusive one such study found that women communicate to each other via underarm pheromones as a way to synchronize menstrual periods.

www.junkscience.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

But your right, these would be no good for telepathy as they are far to slow and really require a short distance so they can be interpreted by your nose. If there is such a thing as global telepathy it would have to travel through light as its so fast.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Many womes menstrual periods are synched up to the moon, not with those around them, although they all appear to be on the same schedule.

And not to be graphic, but menses do have an odor, I could conceivible see how one woman smelling that, even if she doesn't recognize that, might encourage her own menstruation. Not sure if that is actually pheramones though.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by asmeone2
reply to post by king9072

Many womes menstrual periods are synched up to the moon, not with those around them, although they all appear to be on the same schedule.

And not to be graphic, but menses do have an odor, I could conceivible see how one woman smelling that, even if she doesn't recognize that, might encourage her own menstruation. Not sure if that is actually pheramones though.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by asmeone2]

Growing up in a house of women, and even living with female roommates its quite clear that they are syncing with eachother. If it were that women were having their period in sync with the moon they would be on more of a schedule. Yet i've often found with the women around me, that the timing in which it can come does not stay the same, it fluctuates and can even be late for some weeks (even in absence of pregnancy). In these late scenarios it was odd to note that especially women of the same household would still sync with eachother. But this wasn't limited to girls in the same household. My last girlfriend was almost always synced with her best friend within a day or two.

Perhaps a womens perspective would be helpful here

Regardless, thats kind of off topic cause I do not believe any form of telepathy occurs through pheromones regardless of if they exist or not.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I’m confident telepathy could exist. All the brain wave and frequency theories make a lot of sense. I think it is entirely possible that human beings could tap into frequencies telepathically or telekinetically that give us abilities to communicate and even interact with objects with out using our voices or touch.

A company is working on releasing a video game right now that would be controlled by brain waves:
news.bbc.co.uk...

[edit on 10-12-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Yes i believe humans all have this potential.

There seems to be variations in the meaning of telepathy.

I have on numerous occassion heard the thoughts off my husband and mum as if they were really actually speaking to me. Everytime i answered them they would say hey i was just about to ask you but you read my mind.

What is unusual is that i read the question in their head before they asked me. But when i heard it, it sounded like they were normally talking to me outloud.

It only seems to hapen somettimes with my them only and noone else. But mostly my husband.

Somettimes i even here my husband cussing about somethting in his head as if it were him cussing outloud.

This only started happening when i started the raw food diet. So now i know why they tell us not to eat a raw food diet but processed food.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I think telepathy is very real. In many occasions, I've been able to talk to people about subjects I want to talk about without me actually saying anything to start the conversation.

funny thing, I started to cut back ALOT on processed foods. especially high fructose corn syrup.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by meadowfairy
This only started happening when i started the raw food diet. So now i know why they tell us not to eat a raw food diet but processed food.

hey same thing here. there is a such thing as telepathy. you have to practice though. don't know much about pheremones.
i would practice with a deck of cards. my friend would look at the card and without seeing i would try to guess the number and suit of each card. no one will believe me but i have guessed 45/47 cards right before (yes we are missing some cards). now that i am good at it i can tell anyone to guess a number and i will almost always get it right, but i am not too good with much other than numbers. but the person who helped me practice with the cards only eats raw food too, and i am pretty sure we can read each others minds without having to try, but it might just be body language since we are such good friends.
maybe now we should start practicing with pictures instead of cards so i won't be stuck on numbers anymore.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I don't really know if this has to do with pheromones or not.. but my fiancee is in the military and although I have not spent time with him in months, I will just randomly smell him on my skin at random times throughout the week. At first I just thought it was me seriously missing him and losing my mind a little, but he would tell me the same thing a few days later, and it would always turn out to be around the same time. It is truly something else.. I have been in other long distance relationships before and that has NEVER happened.

Also, ants communicate by use of pheromones, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for humans.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by ohh_pleasee]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I think that the powers that are untapped within humans, the '90% of our brain is unused bit', despite being not 100% so black and white, has a huge degree of merit.

I think, like any evolution, the ability of telepathy has been with us humans forever, and has been slowly increasing over time. But I don't see telepathy as you hearing the other persons voice in your own head with an echo, like in the movies. I see the emotional IQ (en.wikipedia.org...), which is a very recent area of psychological study, as a form of basic telepathy. When someone does not have a very telling expression on their face, but you can just 'feel' the sadness or something along those lines..that is telepathy.

I think telepathy manifests in the form of "Just knowing what you need to know exactly when you need to know it", and falls in direct line with just flowing with life and being non resistant. I think telepathy will not ever really allow for testable results, like GUESS THE CARD I HAVE IN MY HAND. After all, why transmit thoughts, when you can sing out what you're thinking? That one is more fun.

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reddupo
I think that the powers that are untapped within humans, the '90% of our brain is unused bit', despite being not 100% so black and white, has a huge degree of merit.

I think, like any evolution, the ability of telepathy has been with us humans forever, and has been slowly increasing over time. But I don't see telepathy as you hearing the other persons voice in your own head with an echo, like in the movies. I see the emotional IQ (en.wikipedia.org...), which is a very recent area of psychological study, as a form of basic telepathy. When someone does not have a very telling expression on their face, but you can just 'feel' the sadness or something along those lines..that is telepathy.

I think telepathy manifests in the form of "Just knowing what you need to know exactly when you need to know it", and falls in direct line with just flowing with life and being non resistant. I think telepathy will not ever really allow for testable results, like GUESS THE CARD I HAVE IN MY HAND. After all, why transmit thoughts, when you can sing out what you're thinking? That one is more fun.

A few cents from King.

I am a believer in global telepathy. I think some of you may be confused a bit by what I mean, the people above especially 1 poster refering to the cards. You should practice in separate rooms, but close enough for shouting distance. 'Global' Telepathy seems to be more common than sight telepathy, where both subjects can see each other and can communicate through sight.

The article I cited earlier discusses how our eyes are simply turning light into electrical impulses which is then sent to our brain. Link here if you missed it earlier.

People say that when experiencing sight telepathy they feel a warming sensation at the back of their eyes when their vision is locked with the person they are communicating with telepathically.

It's said that sight telepathy is more rare, and less people will experience it versus global telepathy.

One such incident of 'recorded' sight telepathy took place during WWII, when a Jewish man was forced to give up his dog to the SS for use by the state. Later, when it was discovered he was 1/4 jew he was sent to a concentration camp. One night him and several other prisoners attempted an escape, this is when the guards released the dogs. As he was running through the bushes, the dogs approached and as he locked eyes with the leading dog, his eyes warmed and he sensed that this was his dog that he had given up to the government some time ago. The dog instantly turned and started attacking the other dogs that were chasing. The dog was never seen again, but the jew survived.

I think that cases of recorded sight telepathy are rare because it is truly a feat if you can pull that off. What I would rather discuss is global telepathy cause I know I experience it all the time.

Often I will suddenly think of someone that I haven't seen in some time, and haven't heard from. Within in minutes, or hours that person suddenly 'out of the blue' calls me, or I run into them somewhere random.

Im sure many people can relate to that, or that odd feeling you get about someone, only to find out later that something terrible has happened to them. I think coincidences are few in this universe, and if you truly think about how often these 'anomaly's' occur in your life, it would seem that they contradict the statistical possibility.

What really intrigues me a theory I have been floating in my head. During my life I have noticed that some people just seem to 'have it' and some people just dont. Some people, everything works out for (on the most part) and some people can't catch a break.

What I wonder, is if our genetics decide how well we tap into the global consciousness and can use global telepathy to better their life (WHETHER THEY KNOW ITS OCCURING OR NOT)

In basic terms, if I don't know that fire will burn me I will have to burn myself to learn. Now, relate that to everything in life, if you just knew more about something, then maybe it wouldn't have hurt/interrupted/etc you. Meaning, if I have a better ability to tap into the global consciousness, I can use that to make better decisions and use what others have learned (even tho one may not understand they are doing this, it may be completely subconscious) to make better decisions. Where on the other hand, the person who cannot tap into the global consciousness, is the guy is must be burnt by the fire to learn.

Just the way I have kind of been thinkin bout this subject lately. Me and a friend are both interested in the topic so we both agreed to start practicing with eachother. I think anyone who is interested in this topic should learn as much as possible and attempt to practice with like minded individuals.

posted on Dec, 21 2008 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Well, I don't know about telepathy as thought transference but I can tell you that information transfer between subjects has been demonstrated time and again under controlled experimental conditions.

And as with all experiments of this kind extreme lengths are taken to eliminate the possibility of experimenter and environmental contagion.

E.g. In most studies the subjects are separated geographically and placed in electromagnetically and atmospherically shielded rooms which serve to eliminate the possibility of Electromagnetic, Audio, Chemical and Vibratory signal carriers.

Even in circumstances such as this the phenomena is still apparent and measurable so whereas we cannot identify the explicit carrier mechanism can state with some confidence that it is not chemical or electromagnetic etc.

Current theories abound at the moment as to what exactly is going on but a large number of researchers are looking towards entanglement as a possible option.

Here is a handy paper demonstrating the kind of research that is ongoing and should serve as a decent primer with regards to experimental design and protocol. Love Study PDF

For further information I would suggest taking a closer look at Dean Radins work.

Additionally, If you are interested in the global telepathy hypothesis I would suggest that you take a look at the Global Consciousness Project.

Absence.

new topics

top topics

join