It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids with obesity-linked gene pick fattening foods

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ign0rant
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Ign0rant, why can't you see this? You really believe people have choice? Pretty full of yourself aren't ya.

Not sure about you, but I am faced with these choices and I am proud to say I make the right ones. At the end of the day I have the power to choose, and nothing, not even my genes can take that away. Sorry that you have lost your ability to choose for yourself.

-Ign0RanT

heh.. you really think you are in control? - CeeLo

Sure you are making those choices. Do yourealize that there is no such thing as the self as a discreet identity? Only a pandamonium of different urges all constantly fighting for control of your consciousness.

You're very act of patting yourself on the back for making these astute decusions that you are so proud of is merely a tactic of the ego which causes you to feel pleasure for "being right". It's a pavlovian conditioning... hardly a choice.

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
i don't really know if this is true

i mean not too long ago i was obese but then i went on a huge diet and lost 40 pounds in 40 days (all natural btw)

but what i noticed is that after the diet i went into a variety store and instead of wanting to eat the chocolates and candies there i was intensely craving the fruit.

Thats just my little story to add to the topic.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Ign0rant

Our thoughts influence our genes. The blame is still the same not always with the person directly, but with the environment raised within as well influencing the person's thinking.

posted on Dec, 14 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

How does that apply here? Classical conditioning may exist but I am still choosing not to ingest fast food. What do you believe influences me to not eat fast food then?

-Ign0RanT

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
This article interests me because I saw, firsthand, an example of this just this weekend.

I took my children to a buffet and had a friend join. Our family members are average height/weight and eat healthily, enjoy snacks. The friend is a little hefty, always fretting about food and weight. Out of the myriad of choices available on the buffet, what does this kid come back to the table with?

A mounding plate of fried foods. Fried chicken wings, fried chicken tenders, fried donughts, and fries.

Holy Transfat, Batman!

This somewhat surprised me as the kid was just fretting about food, so I know she aware of the healthy choices that are available to her.

I don't feel that attributing this to genetics is a cop-out or excuse in any way, just another way to understand and deal with it. I likened her to an addict*. She knew better, she had other choices, and still chose what she knew was bad for her.

*Which, interestingly enough, can also be attributed, in part, to genetics.

I do believe that the Lazy Gene goes hand in hand with the Obesity Gene and is close personal friends with the Addiction and Depression Genes.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ign0rant

How does that apply here? Classical conditioning may exist but I am still choosing not to ingest fast food. What do you believe influences me to not eat fast food then?

-Ign0RanT

They could be myriad. My point is that you can't look at a study which claims to find one of the many causes and then flippantly say they are simply trying to shift the blame away from personal responsibility (of which I don't really believe exists).

It may be that some of us are more influenced by our environment than others. All I know is that the only real actions I take in my world is not in small choices like what to eat etc, but in larger ones like what environment to live in, who to hang out with etc. These have much more bearing on my habits than anything else.

[edit on 17-12-2008 by HunkaHunka]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join