It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Impending earthquake/volcanic activity - California area

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:16 AM
link   
Sail along californians.......
Sail along bye.......
Your time has come....to shine...:-) sorry about that!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:57 AM
link   
It's very interesting that USGS have called in an expert from the UK. No doubt that the USGS, like any other establishment of its kind, work extensively with scholars from all over the globe.

This serves as further reinforcement to theory that vested interest has indeed increased very recently in seismic, volcanic etc etc activity in the US.

I'm definitely intrigued by this. I'll await with great interest for further information.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
I've been hearing of storys about the big one as far as I can remember,and why would they bring a Brit here for sesmic activity? is GB an earthquake prone area? hardly,I could see someone from Japan maybe,sounds like one of many storys I've heard the last 50 yrs,yes one day Calif will have a big quake,but so will other places,and can you think of a place more prepared for an earthquake?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

Apparently, here in the UK we experience a good number of tremors, but from what I have gathered these occur from natural ground movements heavily mined areas or similar.

It's a bit cliche but I suspect our OP's Dad has obviously some distinguished level of credential in a certain discipline as a Volcanologist and this leads me to entertain the idea that he's been consulted merely for his expertise.

It is possible that scholars outside of the US may have greater knowledge in these academic areas. I've never assumed for one minute that just because the interest appears to be concentrated in and around the US, that the 'experts' have to come from there.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius
Nearly 12 hours ago I saw a number of quakes listed for Central California that were subsequently removed from the page.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Anyone ever seen multiple quakes listed and then removed soon after?

i live about 90 miles east of san francisco and it's 5:16am on dec. 11th 08 and i'm still here and my house is ok. so a big one has not struck my area yet. haven't turned on the bood tube yet, so i don't know about the rest of the region. if one hits though, i'll be sure and put it up on ATS,

[edit on 11-12-2008 by jimmyx]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dutty_Rag
UPDATE

My dad called - and he 'can't speak about what he is doing' - so open to suggestions on what this might be. Anyone any experience of US keeping geological projects classified?

Does the USGS even have classified level projects?

Thanks for giving us this information. At least we have someone on board whose family member actually does something relevant to the cause we have been dicussing for over a week.
My question to anyone though would be if there was something the USGS was really concerned about wouldn't they look to evacuate as many people if they remotely thought this was a possibility?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   
i would like to say that here in california, if it's not a nickel (mag 5), we just don't bother. the duck (mag 2), the tray (mag 3) or the golfer ( mag fore) are yawners. of course, if a nickel bangs close to the surface, you might be doing a little grass dancing.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DDay

Of course they would blow the whistle and evacuate the danger zone ASAP. Since the guy is a volcanologist I highly doubt he is working with data from the California area. He is probably helping with the actual volcano areas, Alaska, Yellowstone and Hawaii are most likely IMO.

Correct me if I´m wrong OP.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Waldy

Answer to both of you.

No they would not. They are not allowed to due to previous lawsuits. Too many people were upset with the inconvienience of having to leave their homes.

I believe they are only allowed to give an evacuation notice 24 hours before an eminant event, and even then it can only be the areas that will be directly effected.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

Ok so they are not allowed to evacuate the area until 24 hours before they think something will occur, but they would say something is going on as soon as they thought so.

Cant be sued to say: "Our instruments show anomalies, something might be going on". Also most of the data should be available live online for scientists around the globe.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Waldy]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Dutty_Rag

Does the USGS even have classified level projects?

Yes, they do. I can't give you any examples because it's been a long time since I heard the stories but I know for certain they do have classified level projects.

Jemison

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Oldtimer2

Well I don't know about the OP's dad, but most of the time you would bring a british expert in because they've had very extensive education. The british schoolsystem is very different from the U.S. system and is highly aprreciated internationally.

Further more I can imagine that next to a vulcanologist the OP's dad must be a geologist too (you have to become a geologist first to become a vulcanologist after that) which counts as a kind of double masters title.

Also I think the OP's dad could have been involved studying projects in Iceland or Europe (Italy!) which would give him a knowledge that is not available amongst US experts perhaps.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Based on the Web-Bot predictions , I have to say that California will be the one that gets the quake, and not the Madrid area. There is alot of fertal plains and lovely dancing mountains that is in their prediction. I hope it does not happen, cause you have to think of the ports that import items from around the world being disrupted as well.

[edit on 12/11/2008 by zman]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by zman
Based on the Web-Bot predictions , I have to say that California will be the one that gets the quake, and not the Madrid area. There is alot of fertal plains and lovely dancing mountains that is in their prediction. I hope it does not happen, cause you have to think of the ports that import items from around the world being disrupted as well.

Web-Bot....??? Come on now....Didn't we just have a Web-Bot fan boy in here last week screaming doom and gloom....??? What was it...? Ummm...If I re-call...."AMERICA IS GOING TO IMPLODE BETWEEN 12-5 AND 12-10".... Wasn't that the whole thing in sorts....? I'm sorry but as it goes it's just that to many wack-a-do's are on these boards for anyone to be taken serious....Not that you are just that it's always something??? And there are very few who actually post good stuff....very sad...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsloan

Originally posted by zman

Web-Bot....??? Come on now....Didn't we just have a Web-Bot fan boy in here last week screaming doom and gloom....??? What was it...? Ummm...If I re-call...."AMERICA IS GOING TO IMPLODE BETWEEN 12-5 AND 12-10".... Wasn't that the whole thing in sorts....? I'm sorry but as it goes it's just that to many wack-a-do's are on these boards for anyone to be taken serious....Not that you are just that it's always something??? And there are very few who actually post good stuff....very sad...

I am sorry to hear you dislike my post to this tread. I do my reseach here as well ( aslwww.cr.usgs.gov... and here ( earthquakes.usgs.gov...)) , I am just tired of hearing that the quake that everyone is supposing is at the Madrid area. I do read every morning with my coffee this site ( www.urbansurvival.com... ) . If you did for over a year and see what does come true and what kind of information you can get from such a site you would be agreeing with me. Mostly I go to that site for financial information, but they do have a habit of bringing up earth changes and revolution themes that are very close to what happens in the real world. So based on that and on real world readings listed above I have come to my conclusion . I am sorry but that is how I FEEL. Its good to agree to disagree.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Yea, theres a lot of people who believe in webbot.. prolly the same people who watch John Edwards weekdays.
There are PLENTY of webbot fanboys (and fangirls) who use it as a spring board to predict bogus crap.

I no nothing of the volcanic so I can't comment but one thing I do know is absence of context makes people believe all sorts of things.

1. Dad (the Vulcanist) rushes off somewhere for work but can't tell what its for.
2. An Expert from Brittain is called over the the US.
3. Someone elses relative is flown to Ca "urgently"

All adds up to Volcanoes and Eathquakes to me....
Throw in a webbot prediction and I'm sold!

1. Could be he's cheating on his wife and wont tell the son
2. Could be routine swap of international experts
3. Could be .... anything

Point is, selective bits can be as unrelated as pigs at a pot roast but a lot of people here choose to take individual bits and pile them up until the see a mountain.

It's ATS... nuff said.

I only get annoyed when people start predicting and "warning" others based on this stuff. Other than that, it's harmless info.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by gormly

Hi folks,

let`s avoid the flame behaivor. Just place a call to University in Briston and ask wich one of those persons flew to US.

gfd.gly.bris.ac.uk...

See ya!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by gormly

Yea, theres a lot of people who believe in webbot.. prolly the same people who watch John Edwards weekdays.
There are PLENTY of webbot fanboys (and fangirls) who use it as a spring board to predict bogus crap.

I no nothing of the volcanic so I can't comment but one thing I do know is absence of context makes people believe all sorts of things.

1. Dad (the Vulcanist) rushes off somewhere for work but can't tell what its for.
2. An Expert from Brittain is called over the the US.
3. Someone elses relative is flown to Ca "urgently"

All adds up to Volcanoes and Eathquakes to me....
Throw in a webbot prediction and I'm sold!

1. Could be he's cheating on his wife and wont tell the son
2. Could be routine swap of international experts
3. Could be .... anything

Point is, selective bits can be as unrelated as pigs at a pot roast but a lot of people here choose to take individual bits and pile them up until the see a mountain.

It's ATS... nuff said.

I only get annoyed when people start predicting and "warning" others based on this stuff. Other than that, it's harmless info.

I do read the post here for the information you stated above, its not all Web-bot this and that, its apart of the process in my mind that finds this interesting. I do not predict anything, nor have I stated that in my reply, I THINK that it may be in California based on what you have related ,rather than the Madrid fault data shows, but if you look at the seismic activity at the site I posted previously you can see where the earth is trembling.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Hi guys thanks for all the feedback.

Some new info after speaking with my dad and my mum as to find out a little about where he is.

He was flown into Sacramento, but is now not in the Cali area at all! Indeed he is at Mt Baker - which IS a volcano!

Apparently he did some lab/theory work in Cali before - apparently they have a facility (or were using one) in the Sacramento area. Not unusual as lab space can be limited and they often use labs miles from an area of experimentation to save money (lab fees are HUGE when they have to rent outside their own labs).

My mother is really annoyed as they have asked him to stay over the christmas period so this absolutely must be something interesting else why would they make such a huge request?

He isn't sure if he is going to stay but seems quite keen to. He still can't say what it is, although despite his excitement about staying (my dad would never and has never missed christmas at home) - there's nothing in his voice or what he is saying to suggest he is in danger or anything.

Mt Baker is an odd one, don't think it has even erupted in the last 100 years - until recently I didn't even know it was a volcano - I thought it was just a regular mountain when I saw it in the US a few years ago!

One thing to mention is that when he called and I spoke to him there was distinct drilling going on - like pneumatic drilling - but hey this could be construction work or something anywhere right?

To the guy who suggested my dad would cheat that's just not on - he (although not I) is a very serious Mormon - converted around 6 years ago with my mother.

And this is 100% USGS as at the airport the ticket receipt had the USGS printed on the stub as having made the payment - unless he has gone to an elaborate extent to take a party trip with colleagues (really not his style).

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I JUST HAD A WORST NIGHTMARE LAST NIGHT!!!

In the middle of the dream, I saw news on TV reporting huge earthquakes all around the world. It was so realistic that I was scared to death. I saw cities being sunk into the earth, huge bridges collapsing under enormous waves and a lot of lot of scary cataclysmic things.

I woke up and was so shocked, it was raining and whenever I tried to go back to sleep, I would dream about the same thing over and over again...

I thought I might share this with you guys, who knows...

Good luck yall..

[edit on 11-12-2008 by zhuzha]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join