It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DNA Database Expanded: There goes your civil liberties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
CODIS, the governments Combined DNA Index System has been expanded. Basically, anyone arrested (not just convicted) of a felony, as well as many misdemeanors, will have their DNA added to the database. The estimate is that 90% of the US population could be eligible to end up in the database.

There's a big push by the government to make this seem like it's the same as a fingerprint. In reality, it is unreasonable seizure when you haven't even been convicted of a crime.

In other words, if you are picked up by the police, your DNA can be taken from you and stored, indefinitely, by the government. The only way to have it removed is by court order -- even if you are cleared of any wrongdoing.

It was lauded in the beginning because it was sold to the public as a way to catch sex offenders. Once accepted, the government sought to expand it. And I doubt they are done.

Now, most people assume this is a means of indentification, like a fingerprint. Except a fingerprint doesn't tell about your health, your ancestry, and even your relatives. The searchable database includes information on nuclear and mitochondrial DNA obtained from unidentified remains, relatives of missing persons, and personal reference samples.

In other words, the government knows more about the people in the database than the individuals themselves. In the future, this information could be used for identifying those at risk for certain diseases, and racial or criminal profiling. For instance, the government could develop a genetic profile for those most likely to abuse drugs, or prone to criminal behavior.

It would likely be used to identify fathers of children receiving state aid, to force them to provide financial assistance to offspring they didn't even know existed.

Tin foil hat wearers will likely come to the conclusion that designer diseases could be developed to target certain undesirables in society.

What is even more frightening is that the government may use your sample in research, it is not limited to just criminal matters.

What is also interesting that any potential matches automatically create "probable cause" for more intrusive searches. So if a relative if is in the database, and a partial match comes up, this could be grounds for the government to obtain a search warrant against you, for no other reason that your DNA may be a match. No other evidence against you would be necessary. And remember, once in the system, it takes a court order to get out of it.

You could be arrested for nothing more than sharing a common ancestry with a criminal.

The information contained in this database could be provided to third parties and used to refuse you health insurance, employment, the right to adopt children, etc.

This is another example of how we willingly give up our rights, bit by bit. People argued that it was good thing, because so many sex crimes would be solved.

But like all government programs, it turned into a monster.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
It has been my belief that all governments ALREADY have everyone's DNA and this has been going on for a long time.

For example: I am in Australia and had my last child 21 years ago and at that time when a child was born, they had their heel pricked, and the blood was swiped on an ID card. I asked why this was being done and was told that it was Guthries Test and is used to detect phenylketoneuria (a blood deficiency I think..not sure). Perhaps they use another method now but what happens to the that card? I am sure it is on file somewhere. Instant DNA sample.

How about this: Everytime someone has a bloodtest when they are sick
a sample is sent to a government repository by the pathology lab and the DNA is recorded. If already on record the sample is discarded. Every patient in hospital is in the right place to have a sample taken covertly. This is a good way to gather DNA samples. Or at schools when they vaccinate children, there are many ways they can gather this. Even the dentist...it is in saliva and hair follicles.

Even the undertaker can provide this information for collection by a goverment.

I believe that when someone is asked to provide a DNA sample that it is just a formality so that the person thinks that they still have some control over their lives.

And I happen to agree that whilst DNA can be a useful tool for medical and criminal reasons it can be used against us.

Ok...say it...I have watched too much of the X Files. But it just makes sense to me that governments have been collecting samples that can provide DNA for a long time. They even know what colour undies we are wearing

take care
res

[edit on 10-12-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I would agree that the government probably has another, more vast DNA database.

The problem with the government getting it without your consent or as authorized by law is that you can have any evidence obtained as a result thrown out in court.

So if they discover you are the perpetrator of a crime as a result of a covert DNA sample, they will have to come up with some way to present evidence in court which points to you.

Now, they have "probable cause" if they can show that the perpetrator's DNA is a match of a blood relative. And that's enough to get a court order to swab your cheek.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Michigan senate just passed this into law yesterday...

Michigan Senate OKs DNA samples from suspects
by The Associated Press
Wednesday December 10, 2008, 9:52 PM
The Michigan Senate has voted to require anyone arrested for a violent crime to submit a DNA sample.

State law already requires a DNA sample when someone is convicted of a felony or certain misdemeanors.

Supporters say expanding the requirement to include arrested suspects would help police solve cold cases, prevent more crimes by catching repeat criminals earlier and absolve the innocent.

Some critics say the legislation is an invasion of privacy because arrested people should be presumed innocent.

-- Ann Arbor News

Also some resources....

National Conference of State Legislatures - State Grid

President's DNA Initiative - State by State

new topics

top topics

join