It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milwaukee neighborhoods could print own money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Milwaukee neighborhoods could print own money

www.chicagotribune.com

Residents from the Milwaukee neighborhoods of Riverwest and East Side are scheduled to meet Wednesday to discuss printing their own money. The idea is that the local cash could be used at neighborhood stores and businesses, thus encouraging local spending. The result, supporters hope, would be a bustling local economy, even as the rest of the nation deals with a recession.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is not illegal and is not new, but due to the stagnation in our nations economy some local towns may be forced to boost their own businesses with local currency.

During the 1930s many towns and communities did the the same thing.

In modern times we have about 89 communities currently have their own currencies.

www.chicagotribune.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit: title to same as source]
Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
They have this were I live in Michigan. Noboby uses it because it only is accepted by the buisness' on our main downtown street. All you can buy with it is "stuff"...no food,gas, or bills. Also almost all the stores that do accept it are pretty worthless clothing stores.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Yes the concept while still active in about 89 cities, after the depression it lost its intended benefit.

And that is acceptable because the economy wasn't doing as bad.

But it could be revived and could actually have a bigger role in many states and cities.

The trend did not die out with the end of the Depression either. According to wikipedia, roughly 89 communities currently have their own currencies. In Atlanta, some local communities trade in Atlanta Hours. In Burlington, Vermont residents can buy local goods with Burlington Bread. In the Big Easy, Mardi Gras goers may be familiar with the Mo’ Money.

www.economyincrisis.org...

I guess many in cities and towns are trying to prepare to the complete collapse of the dollar and before they find themselves with worthless money they are trying to keep business as usual with a local currency.

I believe we may hear about this more and more in coming months.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Interesting. I was not aware of this. Why I encourage the spirit of this, I think it would have to be used on a much larger scale for it to have any real effect.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I wonder if the gold will make it a comeback when it comes to currency the way it was before the great depression.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

I think we should coin money from gold and silver with the blood of bankers mixed in for a proper temper.
The bankers won't add any worth to the currency, but that is what they are currently guilty of anyways.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The whole scheme concocted by the banking system since the depression under the umbrella of saving the nations and their citizens wealth is nothing but a big scam for them to made sure that when another time as the great depression came around ( as is now) the same people that they have been robbing blind for decades will be paying with their sweat (labor/taxes) for their loses.

The only thing that they are protecting is their wealth they careless what else happen to the rest of the nation and their trusty citizens.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
It seems there is a new currency.... this spider drawing apparently has a street value over 200 dollars...

This is backed up by the evidence here at this link.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
And the insanity begins ...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I have to say that I may be doing the same thing when the times get tough in my pocket book.

I will just print monopoly money and give them as cash.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
How about....no money...whats the fascination with bits of paper and metal with faces etc on them? why not trade goods for goods,labour for goods and goods for labour...much more simple and much more honest.Or have i been taking too many crazy pills?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Hey you!! Good find!

I actually live about 25 min north of the river west area. If they do print there own $$$, send me a U2U with an address and I'll get some to you!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
A few of us in a strip mall have been using the barter system
more often. Mostly food. Sandwiches for magazines, newspapers
etc. I don't wan to use any business names but we have been doing
it and it is great. My job in a deli has gotten me haircuts, medicine,
other food (beside deli), newspapers, books, new shoes and some
clothes. We are all benefiting from this.

new topics

top topics

join