It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A blessing or a curse?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I can already tell that alot of people here will know what I'm talking about.

Not to sound cocky or full of myself, but it seems as if I'm above the average intelligence level for my age. No, I'm not genius, but I can piece things together and notice patterns and issues that others so often overlook. Considering my age group, I seem to be one of the few with a clearer understanding of the world, and some actual morals. I'm 18, and the people I have met around my age have generally been a disgrace. The thing is..is this a blessing or a curse?

No, I'm no genius, and I wish I were; but more on that after. The thing is, I find my logic seems to run circles around people, and they have a hard time grasping what I'm trying to say. Add that to my socially crippled personality, and you have some very embarassing and distressful situations. I'm sure alot of you know how frustrating it is to see something few can see, and when explaining it they simply do not understand what you are saying. "You lost me" or "You're crazy" or the like.

In other words, I'm a soul looking to advance his knowledge in a world where thought-provoking conversations seem absolutely unheard of, atleast within my age range. I've met very few in everyday life who I can engage in a thought-provoking and intelligent conversation with. Few who can understand my points, and throw in their own intelligent opinions. Is intelligence a burden or is it a gift? To be misunderstood constantly, and to be an outcast just because your interests are different and unique.

I make alot of enemies because I have strong opinions and I know what I like. I know what I want, I know what I enjoy, and always looking for a thought-provoking conversation, I tend to express them with people who disagree with me for the sake of a mature conversation. However, I almost never get a mature conversation in return. It's as simple as "You're dumb because youdon't like what I like" to sum it up in simplest terms.

I just don't understand why others around me are incapable of waking up, what is there that we can do? Where can we seek out the information to expand our minds? Also, how can we use newly found knowledge and not let it be our downfall? I've found knowledge and a clear understanding brings more pain and misery than one would expect. I can't begin to explain how frustrating it is when someone tries to break down my ego, and my logical replies to their inaccuracies are complete misses and don't get the point across.

For example; I have only 10 credits in school, yes, laugh as you will, but school is not a direct reflection of intelligence. Numerous things can lead to one not doing well in school, such as being more the type who wants to learn things first hand, instead of being preached them. Perhaps regular schedules are hard to maintain, or perhaps the knowledge is there but there's a lack of motivation for unexplainable reasons. For me, it's a mix of this, and my sleeping issues don't help either. But when one makes the claim that I am "stupid" because I am not in school at the moment, yet they're the ones fumbling for a dictionary when I meet them with a reply, it just makes my head spin with agony and frustration.

How can we come to terms with this 'blessing', when it rears it's ugly head to be more of a curse?

Does anyone else know what I'm saying?

That's another problem of mine, some days I can explain things incredibly well, and other days I just draw blanks and have trouble explaining them. This day is certainly the latter, so I hope people made some sense out of that..

What's our purpose in a world full of sheep?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akherousia

Not to sound cocky or full of myself, but i...

I believe the word you were looking for was arrogant.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous

Originally posted by Akherousia

Not to sound cocky or full of myself, but i...

I believe the word you were looking for was arrogant.

Yeah, that's the one.

It's not to say I'm a genius, but I'm above average. I'm about what average SHOULD be in my age group, is more what I meant. Which fromwhat I've noticed is alot lower than it should be. Or does that still make me sound arrogant?

I'm quite the furthest thing from it, really. Or atleast I'd like to think..

p.s: see, I told you it comes and goes. I couldn't even remember the word Arrogant, then when you pointed it out it clicked as clear as day lol

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Akherousia]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
What's our purpose in a world full of sheep?

Just keep putting in your two cents, because the more it is in people's faces the more they will see the light. Know what you are entitled to and fight for it. It is my new purpose, to not be influenced by the PTB any longer. I have my faith, and it is the only thing I will fight for.

One wants to tell the world to wake up and realize who the real enemy is, but for one reason or other they don't know or want to change. They might even be a part of the problem but since they are being provided for very well, they won't care, and sometimes even go against you.

People want to be provided with any product out there but seem to accept that they must sell their soul or freedom for it, such as accepting that wars or illogical laws can be made without reason or cause by the PTB, who directly profit from these very two things.

No war, no comforts of life. That is the PTB's offer. People need to realize that it's not a necessity- it's extortion.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Akherousia

actually...I understand exactly what you are going through - I myself argue with my co-workers every single day - and to them "i lose" every argument, but I am almost laughing because they don't even understand my concept behind my approach.

I like ATS because I find like minded individuals as well as equally opposed thoughts that I can adapt to.

If I just be me, I don't normally relate to the "average" Individual, I just get told I think too much or i'm weird, although I don't tend to make enemies because I have the candid ability to humor others. I just end up avoiding too much confrontation because arguing with the ignorant is sometimes useless.

as far as thinking it as a possibility of a blessing or curse...
honestly I guess it just depends on your tolerance with someone.
I've learned to tolerate others before accusing them of anything.
and I have also learned to accept a difference avoiding some frustration.

IMO - being more aware of things can only be closer to a blessing, than a curse, - you need people to see where you stand if you are allowed to compare yourself, so I try to gather all opinions of others regardless how insignificant they appear at the time.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by juveous]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I actually, at the moment, would like to take the blue pill and forget about the world for just a week. Preferably around Christmas, since Christmas is a prime example of such control by the media, elite, etc.

I also think that unnatural foods are dumbing down our society as a whole and people who have the "good immunity" in their genes, etc., to fight off the chemicals in the foods, are the ones now being deemed "smarter" than usual. Not necessarily genius of course.

In other words, I'm a soul looking to advance his knowledge in a world where thought-provoking conversations seem absolutely unheard of, atleast within my age range.

Same. That is why I love hanging out at "gatherings" and conversing and philosophizing with others. One really stands out as an individual when this occurs.

In regards to being misunderstood, as of late I have been on the look out for women and searching for my significant other. While doing this I have encountered already a couple of people who I did not think were possible to be in existence. If there is such thing as ignorance, I think they exemplified this to the "e".

I have more to say but I need to go.

Overall, I would say it is a gift with some hardships.

ttyl

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

I'm glad, because I did not wish to sound arrogant, especially here. Simplified, what I meant was I feel I am much smarter than the people around me. However, there are numerous people here above my intelligence level at ATS, and that's why I'm here, it's a place to expand my mind and thinking, and discuss things with people who see things similarily to the way I do. I too see it as more of a blessing, but at times it comes with it's moments where you just wonder why you had to be 'gifted' with the ability to think for yourself. Sure, it's great to be able to compose and think out your own thoughts, but ignorance is bliss and it pains me to see how happy these clueless people are with their blinded views on 'reality'

reply to post by star in a jar

A very good point, and I agree. I have changed some peoples outlooks and met some people who were once clueless, that turned into geniuses with their own functioning minds. It does have it's advantages, but it seems as if for every one person who see's the light of using their own thoughts, there are 20 whom can't seem to grasp the concept. But being able to enlighten some atleast has it's advantages.

reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

I'm in the same boat. I've found my significant other, and she's one of very few I have met in this city who share my views of the world, and one of few I know who can think for themselves. The other one I met is my best friend, and that's it. I've met two people as clear minded as they are in this city. In total (not counting message boards and the like) I have met only 4-5 people who can think for themselves. Lets use MSN as an example, alright?

5 people there show they are capable of expressing their own thoughts, ideas and opinions. Now lets see how many people I actually have on my list; 98.

So that's 5 people for every 100. Not a very uplifting number, is it? Though places like this reassure me that there are some people out there willing to use their own thoughts and opinions inthe everyday world, which is very uplifting. But it makes me wonder; why are there so few? and why are they so clueless to enlightenment?

It's not that I try shoving anything down their throats, no. Asmuch as I think everyone should use their own heads to think rather than what's the "in thing" I won't force my views on others. However, with everyday conversation I just notice how hopeless some people are, and through attempts to enlighten them and showcase some form of individual thought patterns, they shrug it off and label me as 'weird'. I just can't wrap my mind around it.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing what else you have to say when you return

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Never let anyone stop you from revealing a truth...exactly "how" is up to you.

Try not to accept what you think is THE truth...there are always other points of view...about 6.5 billion of them out there.

And don't presume you actually know anything for sure...why limit the possibilities?

Life is a wave in constant motion and has no fixed point for ultimate evaluation. The best we can do is get out there and learn to surf....or get left on the beach and suffer that one point of view....and having a bigger wave doesn't mean one is a better surfer!

You are young, go with the flow and don't p*ss people off. You recieve what you give. If you believe you are smarter than some, fine. To let people know can be seen as condescending and a little ignorant...not fine.

Would you rather teach
or hypothetically slap faces?

Good luck young one.

[edit on 10/12/2008 by nerbot]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   

I like to a-kin it to wisdom and not intelligence. I do however why others can't wake up, but this reality is strong and we are raised to no like change.

Also many that say they have waken up, I don't believe really have. In this reality everyday is a challenge. We will never be perfect, but to have a content life balance must be maintained. It would be a lot more fun if we'd let it.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

first off, to put things out there in such a way to a multitued of peoples isn't the brightest thing I've seen. Even if what you say is true, did you expect postive responces from that greater majority of people that seem to be under your highness?

The answer you see is that it is not a blessing nor a curse. It is a objective point. It is what you make it out to be.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Remember everyone is different, everyone is intelligent in their own way, do not discredit them for not possessing the kind of intelligence you may. Also I think you underestimate your age group, underestimate people and you won’t get responses you are hoping for. Try to see things from other people’s perspectives instead of trying to get them to see things from yours. Don’t consider people sheep who simply don’t think the way that you do or agree with your logic, if they discarded their individuality to be more like you then they would truly be sheep.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Incarnated

first off, to put things out there in such a way to a multitued of peoples isn't the brightest thing I've seen. Even if what you say is true, did you expect postive responces from that greater majority of people that seem to be under your highness?

The answer you see is that it is not a blessing nor a curse. It is a objective point. It is what you make it out to be.

If you are referring to making such a statement on ATS, I never stated that anyone here is "under my highness" nor do I even have a 'highness' to be under. Simply that I'm puzzled by how many people seem to be clueless and incapable of piecing together things for their own.

I want to make it clear that, as I stated earlier, I do not think anyone is 'below' me on ATS, and that if anything, it's the other way around. I am here to learn. However, I feel that the people I encounter in person from a day-to-day basis are lackluster and predictable. We're all predictable to an extent, sure. We all have individual character traits that make us who we are, and those traits make us repeat habits that have formed us into who we are, nobody is completely unpredictable. However, I find it a little disappointing how knowing the behaviour of one person can enable you to predict the behaviour and actions of several other people. It's like we're all too comfortable with conforming to the bare minimum it takes to get by.

It's not really that I don't think these people have intelligent traits, but it's their black and white thinking that bothers me. That everything either is or isn't, and how there is no middle ground. I am stating this is an observation in the outside world, and am no way trying to look down or condescend on anyone here at ATS.

and Scaye, Wisdom is a far more accurate term actually. Intelligence just makes it sound like some kind of superiority-complex. We are all intelligent, to different extents.

Rapinbatisalltherage; Actually, that's not really it. It's not that I want them to be like me, and it's not that I'm forcing opinions down their throat. I just wish people would think outside the box abit more, and stop seeing things so black and white, so there can be more thought-provoking conversations. If everyone was just like me, there'd still be little or no thought-provoking conversations because everyone would be the same. I just can't stand that when someone states an opinion, and we discuss it and I explain mine, I'm suddenly attacked on a personal level for a mere disagreement. It bothers me because I try to have these conversations to exchange ideas and opinions, not to go "Well I'm right, you're wrong"

I state mine so a conversation can continue to develop, but far too often they just jump to the conclusion that I'm automatically trying to change their view on something. It's just annoying how many people do this, especially when it's about similar topics and their answers are just like everyone elses, and I'm the fool for having my own opinions and reasons for holding those opinions. I just find it a little irritating.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by juveous
If I just be me, I don't normally relate to the "average" Individual, I just get told I think too much or i'm weird, although I don't tend to make enemies because I have the candid ability to humor others. I just end up avoiding too much confrontation because arguing with the ignorant is sometimes useless.

Yes. Same. The "you think too much" has been told to me for as long as I can remember. Very annoying sometimes because I take Aikido and that is not a thinking hobby. All about feeling and so I feel very relaxed afterward, especially since I get a break from thinking. I still think sometimes in Aikido but I get told not too immediately so it is great bodily training.

I usually take weird as a complement, seeing that it makes me feel like an individual. That is what i strive for anyway, so whenever someone calls me crazy, I know I am fulfilling my needs.

If you are referring to making such a statement on ATS, I never stated that anyone here is "under my highness" nor do I even have a 'highness' to be under. Simply that I'm puzzled by how many people seem to be clueless and incapable of piecing together things for their own.

Hey Akherousia. Do not pay attention to people who are just trying to incite argument for no reason. Its no big deal really. Trivial at best.

I find that laziness is the culprit in many cases where "their black and white thinking" is concerned. It is painfully true that some people just do not have the desire to think too much. So, for example in college, those people will pick majors that are deemed "easy".

Also, being overweight and obese tends to create this laziness. This is obvious I guess. Hence, the food industry that produces low quality food, fast food industry etc., all function for a multitude of purposes. One being to make us fat and lazy, to put it bluntly. Other reasons may be for profit, etc.

Anyway....

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I can see from where your coming from Ahkerousia, it seems to me that you and I are alike but in some senses different, I have found it is a blessing and a curse as are all blessings and curses. they all take away and give, although you might not receive the benefit. On to the subject at hand it seems to me you and I can benefit from each other. We both want the same thing, a person with the natural wit for a intellectual and clever conversation on subjects that other people would easily be lost before the main point is brought about. We have something the other does not have, knowledge on a variety of subjects that most would usually not delve into.

Basically I'll keep an eye on you for a conversation that I would like to partake on.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I would not say this is a blessing or a curse it depends on what situation you are in, I know exactly how you feel but you might doubt that after reading thing post since i have a problem with writing/typing grammer but can read it and talk fine.

I wish i could remember how many times during a conversation someone getting mad at me for what i was saying but then just have nothing else to reply to them with but its our own opinions. You also said you have just ten credits and that is not a direct reflection of intelligence, this is the curse part in the time we live in it doesnt matter how intelligent one is for another to be impressed you simply have to have some great paying job and a degree. one can be intelligent and not use it on anything its really sad to say.

top topics

join