It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Was Goering so bad?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I hope this is in the right forum, if not, moderators, please feel free to move this thread where it is appropriate.

I have often wondered about Herman Goering. He committed suicide at Nuremburg. We are told that it was because he did not one to face his fate for the attrocities he had done during the Nazi regime.

Let's look first at who Herman Goering really was:

-A decorated WWI hero. He put together the flying circus, the almost invincible German air force.

-A man who lived through the defeat of WWI, despite his contributions; if others had run their units the way he ran his air force, Germany would have won.

-A man who saw his country being rebuilt and brought back to greatness, with a chance of erasing the humiliating defeat of WWI.

-A man who sent very few Jews to the camps. As a matter of fact, he saved a lot more Jews from the camps than he sent there. Although, to be fair, we have to note that the Jews he helped to escape, paid him largely for it.

I have to wonder, this man was most likely not an anti-semite. If he had sent no Jews at all to the camps, he probably would have been killed by others in the regime for not cooperating. They might even have thought that he was acting against them.

Goering might have sent a lot of people to die, but he did it to survive. Also, if he'd sent nobody to the camps and had been killed himself for it, none of those he helped survive would have survived. It's an evil deed for a good deed.

I wasn't in his shoes and I hope I'm never placed in such a situation, but I have to wonder, ethically, if this guy was really evil or if he was trying to do some good among all the bad that was happenning. Perhaps he committed suicide because he felt he was being wronged at Nuremburg? Perhaps his character was far more complicated than most people think?

I would like to read your open-minded opinions about him. Please abstain from the "he was a nazi, so he was evil" type of reply; these bring no insight.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Well, here's a link to the Nuremburg judgement on him. LINKY

He doesn't seem like the kind of guy I'd hang with. But hey, maybe he's more your style.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
You might want to read this book. It might 'enlighten' you to this evil deviant, amoral mans true life. He was no hero, either in WW1 or after.

www.fpp.co.uk...

You can dnld it directly from the site for free!
Zindo

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ajmusicmedia

Yeah people who suffer from mental desorders often show multi personalities.

yeah he was a peach!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Goering was a Nazi party member from the early years, before 1923, and he knew what was going on. He was as anti-semantic as anyone else involved with the party. This can be sugar coated or glossed over, but he was present with the private conversations and public speeches.

Once he realized the acts committed by the government he represented, maybe he could not live with himself. He faced some very hard truths that his rank may have shielded him from during the war. He may have known all along and just played the victim game.

As for the vaulted German forces and their superiority, they had the military advantage only at the start of the war. They used modern tactics, for the time, against western Europe in a rout. Hitler countermanded orders that place territory over manpower and let the British army escape. Hitler actually made this same mistake throughout the war.

Then when Russia was attacked, their fate was sealed.

Germany lost the war before it started, but didn't realize it at the time.

A nation that has limited resources, starting with manpower and then onto industry, against larger countries with more population and industry; has no chance in wars of attrition. The German put themselves in a position of being bombed with their industry, the allies unharmed and only hampered by logistics. In this situation, there is only one winner, and it has been proven twice in 100 years.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
maybe we should add that he was a foul-mouthed, repugnant fellow, who had no sense for reality - which can be partly blamed on his drug habit (morphium etc.) His egocentric mannerism and especially his will to save his face no matter what killed many many people... One could, and in fact some people do, argue that his unrealistic, preposterous promises to resupply the eastern front by air proved even more fatal than his stupid lying about the true strenght of the Luftwaffe - which was only on paper equipped to beat the RAF - that he's to blame for the collapse of the 4th Army and the boys of Stalingrad. I think there is some truth to that, but sooner or later it had to come.

Also think of what a fraudster he was - embezzeling funds, robbing fortunes in gold, jewelry and art to display in the many state-funded Estates he built himself - indeed CARINHALL, the biggest of these, was the place to go to see nicht-entartete Art in the war years.

As for his Anti-Semitism, his opportunism and the hoax surrounding his status as "hero of war" - it is so well documented that no one can possibly argue against it.

join