It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New racist web browser!!!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+40 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
"Because we know the 20 million African Americans online need tools to build and foster community now more than ever.
Because we know that 85% of African Americans prefer online news and information from the Black perspective.*
Because we know that you are twice as likely to be among the first to discover new trends and use advanced technology compared to the general population.*"
Blackbird

This is toioaly racist.

Imagine replacing black in the quotes with white and think of the responce.

[Because we know 20 million White Americans online need tools to build and foster community now more than ever.
Because we know that 85% of White Americans prefer online news from the White perspective.
Because we know that you are twice as likely to be among the first to discover new trends and use advanced technology compared to the general population]

We will probably find people who find the first paragraph as ok and yet find the second one as racist.

Just an eye opening from me.

Mod Edit: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

Thank you for your compliance and understanding.

*Please do not alter or remove this text*

[edit on 12/10/2008 by kinglizard]

+40 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

This entire member's post was stolen from here

[edit on 12-12-2008 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
it depends how you post your thread. the way you did you'll probably hear both sides but if you would've said something like.

"why do african americans need a specialized web browser?"

you would've heard all the weeping hearts and fake sympathizers.

technically it's not "racist" at all and it's probably a really good idea. however i wonder what racist sites it'll link you to that make it racist by default.

black people will never trust white people, ever. probably shouldn't either. you shouldn't trust anyone no matter the skin color with anything important in your life anyway.

it's funny how back in the early 90's you'd hear the phrase "sell used" in regards to blacks. especially in music. nowadays black wear selling out as a badge of honor and you don't hear that phrase in the music anymore. it's just another great example.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Mozzy]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I agree....
If you are african-american and you cry racism everytime someone says something you don't like, but then you have "Essence" awards, and BET television and "Ebony" magazines, then you are contributing to the racism....we don't have "Whitey" magazine.....we don't have "Cracker" awards..some would say, "Well, yeah you do have 'white' awards and 'white' tv channels like the Golden Globes and Outdoor/Country Music TV" but we don't call them that....

[edit on 10-12-2008 by scrubsnstuffkim]

+47 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I find it amusing that we got rid of segregation only to have it reinstated by the same community who fought against it so rabidly.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Absolutely ridiculous. I never realized that there was a "white perspective" that tainted online news, technology, trends, etc. But with this browsers help, I now see the light and truly understand what this means:

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slaveowners will be able to sit down together at a table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a desert state, sweltering with the heat of injustice and oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.

Apparently it didn't really mean that MLK believed everyone was created equal or that everyone would be judged by their character instead of their skin color, it really meant "We need a web browser just for us cause whitey is going to taint our news, technology, and trends.

In short, I agree mrmonsoon. It is racist.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It's more self segregation.

Whatever. They can do it if it makes them happy to self segregate.

They'd just better not point their fingers at anyone else and call them racist - or they can add hypocrite to their names.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It would seem that Dr. King's vision of equality hasnt been nearly as successful as Farrakhan's dream of complete segregation and ultimate relocation.

It's working the best of both worlds. Claim equality as the goal, use the lack of it as an excuse to implement segregationist measures, long-term become a master class through sociological oppression and financial extortion.

Just a theory.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Separatism, certainly. Racism I'm not so sure about. I mean no one is saying whites can't use it. Or even that they wouldn't want to. In all seriousness, many ethnic communities practice this same sort of separatism as a means of preserving culture and have for a long time (think newspapers). Not saying that I agree or disagree, but we are all different and all have a different perspective. I think the only dream that is dead is that everyone wants so-called "white culture".

Maybe I'd be upset if the spell-checker was programmed for ebonics because if I can't understand someone, they must be talking about me, right?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I would like someone who is black to explain to me what black perspective is all about? I have a somewhat unique perspective myself on this which is anything but clear.
For example:
1. I live on the US/Canada border. There are lots of persons of colour on both sides of the border. The ones in the states have a way of speaking, dressing and acting that sets them apart from whites. The ones in Canada used to speak, dress and talk exactly the same as white people in Canada did. Today I see them trying more and more to emulate American blacks. They seem to want to be seen as different from whites now, whereas before they didn't. (Of course, now the white kids here also are emulating black culture too. lol)
2. When I was younger I went thru a stage where I hung out almost exclusively with people of colour in the states. At that time my black friends did not seem especially different in any way as a group, but different from each other as any group of friends would be. That they were black was not ignored or denied, but neither did it occupy center stage. They were just my friends. I was theirs. Nor was the fact that I was white any big deal.
I understand culture because my background is "ethnic", not English or French, but I don't understand why people who are black should see themselves as being so different from people with less pigmentation. That's not a culture issue. That's racist. How is that good?
Part of me wants to say its one way of distancing yourself from the evils of mainstream white society, but then again ........

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
i don't think its racist, i think its a good idea for people from the african american origin and race to get together.

The only thing racist about it is you implying that it is...

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
whitebird

Dangit, someone beat me to it

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Poet Of Deception

If we did what the OP stated and replaced black with white. Would it be racist then?

Edit: Ahh the post above me has extended my point... Is that browser racist?

[edit on 10-12-2008 by ExistenceUnknown]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
LOL this is the most pointless product idea ever.

I don't think its necessarily racist, its just a really really insignificant idea.

Most other cultures (not races) would probably use news outlets and contents that are targeted towards them (eg a chinese guy viewing a chinese news website).

Black people in america have formed a sort of racial-cultural complex which means they use the word "african american" as pertaining to both race and culture. This is probably due to many slaves not knowing which country they came from/ have no affinity for that countrys culture anyway.

Compare this to say an italian american, who would probably just form an "italian americans" organisations rather than a "white" organisation.

I wouldn't really care if someone created "whitebird" but what would be the point? Unless it caters to a specific subset/ cultural deme of one of the constituents of the white race, it doesnt really offer anything new. Blackbird on the other hand, probably links to "black culture" like hip hop or whatever, which is more homogeneous across their race.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

I'm the IT guy at my work which caters to the public. I'll put the white people browser on half the public terminals and the black people browser on the other half and see what happens. Well, besides my getting fired I mean.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I really hope they do a skit about this on the Chocolate News.

As to whether it'd be racist if you replaced all the instances of black with white??
I don't find it racist now... I wouldn't find it racist then... I find it silly in both instances.

Peace

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by Sliick

I'm the IT guy at my work which caters to the public. I'll put the white people browser on half the public terminals and the black people browser on the other half and see what happens. Well, besides my getting fired I mean.

screenshots or it never happened. LOL i would LOVE to see what happens. keep me posted via U2U if you actually do that

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Choclate News with that one dude..

There was a show on with comics ... from the commercials it was all black comics..

Need I say more.. It seems to me the only racists are the black community.

Im no racist but I dont like the racial 'baiting' thats going on.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Sliick

Awww, Whitebird is totally a joke. It's just a link to Apple's Safari browser.

I should have known when the White Sports link was tennis.com.

That's a shame.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I'd say it was likely created by people trying to create divisiveness among everday Americans. Mistrust, separateness, differences, etc to exploit weaknesses in the national community. Much like how the NAACP was created by whiteys. Its also a good way to keep tabs on a specific segment, that way TPTB can make sure everythings in good order. I don't necessarily oppose the idea of a community style meeting area, but I do have to agree, what if it was something that said white this white that everywhere or caucasion this n that? I imagine that racism would be the least that it would be called and that the media would going crazy with it. It is difficult to shake racial prejudice when it is constantly thrust in our faces from all races. Its kind of like the supposed global warming. Just keep bringing it out and people will get a message of sorts and cannot ignore it. Its a trap, leave it alone, the more you raise hell about it the more it becomes an issue, and people start remembering old hurts and then there is a real problem. There is no race, there is only species. That should be the message. Culture is for enrichment of day to day living, tolerance and understanding should go hand in hand with our sense of species relationship. Let it go.

PG

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join