It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans Nearly Wiped Out 70,000 Years Ago, study says

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Human beings may have had a brush with extinction 70,000 years ago, an extensive genetic study suggests The human population at that time was reduced to small isolated groups in Africa, apparently because of drought, according to an analysis released Thursday.
www.redicecreations.com...

The earth went through some harsh times. We survived. Makes me wonder. Did we evolve to cavemen then back to modern then back to cavemen? etc

The report notes that a separate study by researchers at Stanford University estimated that the number of early humans may have shrunk as low as 2,000 before numbers began to expand again in the early Stone Age.

"Tiny bands of early humans, forced apart by harsh environmental conditions, coming back from the brink to reunite and populate the world. Truly an epic drama, written in our DNA."
www.redicecreations.com...

I wonder how many times something so great happened to the earth that it threatened the exsistance of the human race. The ancients told of stories where they would seek refuge in mounds and underground caverns. Some say the pyramid was built to be a monument to man and his accomplishments aswell as serve as a handbook and history book for humans the would survive a massive flood or mabey a human wiping out catastrophe.
Who knows.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
It was the super volcano toba that when exploded nearly brought humans close to extinction 75,000 years ago.I think thats what your talking about. en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
It was the super volcano toba that when exploded nearly brought humans close to extinction 75,000 years ago.I think thats what your talking about. en.wikipedia.org...

I am sure that was not it but played a major part. The Volacano could of been a result of a much reater catacalysm.

They are all theories anyways.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Old news, really. We've known about that bottleneck for quite some time:
en.wikipedia.org...

There were at least two for homo sapiens. For other species there were multiple ones and of course there were the five Great Mass Extinctions with plenty of other not-so-great-mass-extinctions:
en.wikipedia.org...

Earth is a darn dangerous place to live.

I don't think many scientists would be surprised to find other bottlenecks, particularly in regional groups of humans.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

Very, very, very dangeous-which is one reason a lot of intelligent people want to get a least a part of our greatest legacy, our DNA off this death trap LOL!

Its only in the last seven five years, thanks to science, that we've come to realize just how deadly nature is and how unkind it is to life.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

I don't think many scientists would be surprised to find other bottlenecks, particularly in regional groups of humans.

Me neither. Now if humans were 'almost' extinct it cant help me not wonder how many other types of human races did perish.

ANother question that begs to be answered is, Will this happen again anytime soon to us?

Mabey the pyramids and other ancient structures were built to sustain total destruction incase of another cataclysm that the ancients knew or thought would come again.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Me neither. Now if humans were 'almost' extinct it cant help me not wonder how many other types of human races did perish.

Hans: Its possible, lots of Homo lines died out but we don't know exactly when or how

ANother question that begs to be answered is, Will this happen again anytime soon to us?

Hans: Overpopulation is driving a number of possible scenarios for disaster, however all of these if they would occur would not erase the record of man on this planet.

Mabey the pyramids and other ancient structures were built to sustain total destruction incase of another cataclysm that the ancients knew or thought would come again.

The ancient people had a far fainter grip on how nature worked than we do. Their pyramids were used for tombs and temples. Most used stone and mudbrick in areas where these were the most useful and cheapest building material. There surivival is more a matter of chance than willful planning.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:09 PM
link   
sometimes i wonder if there were people thinking the same thing before their time was up. how many civilization there could have been that we dont know about? we just know a slice. think of all their discoveries. dont under estimate the power of ONE human mind.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Another 1evel
sometimes i wonder if there were people thinking the same thing before their time was up. how many civilization there could have been that we dont know about? we just know a slice. think of all their discoveries. dont under estimate the power of ONE human mind.

Absolutely, one great man or women could (as demonstrated in modern times) drive an entire revolution. Many of the gods in various places could be mythic memories of these founding movers and shakers.

Pottery, fire (carbon) and stone tools, virtually indestructible and excellent markers, a civilization could arise without pottery (a few have) but none could have done it without stone tools and fire - and they are very easy to detect-well until you go way, way back.

Gobeki tepe may be an example of this

[edit on 10/12/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Pyramids are not tombs and they are not temples.
What they are, nobody knows. How they were built, I believe, nobody knows either. And when I'm told they were built in 20 years, I turn around and run away from those...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Ahhh, actually we do know, remember many were used until historic times. Think Aztec and Mayan who built and used them for both religious and burial purposes. We have an excellent idea of how they were built and what they were used for.

One needs to take the pronouncement of fringe writers with a great deal of skepticism.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I was talking about Egyptian Great Pyramids.
I believe that even today it would be much easier to carve mega cities inside Rocky Mountains than build a Cheops pyramid.
I don't know how Aztec and Mayan pyramids compare to this one. They are not made of stone blocks like Egyptian great pyramids. There are much less stones there. The biggest pyramid is made of earth, it was only recently discovered. There is a number of ancient pyramids in China, and probably elsewhere, and they have not been explored yet. It seems totally mad to me that generations of people would be building those: to what purpose? And how?

Parthenon temple, was build by Athenian citizens during many years, in place of Pelastion, which was destroyed by Greeks when they conquered the place. It took many years to build it and it is nothing compared to Cheops pyramid. Even though reason rushes to simple explanations, they are by no means rational. Cheops pyramid was not built in 20 years with human technology that thing is for sure. How it was built and even who built it, we don't know.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Howdy Danger

Well, this subject has been done to death on this forum and I don't want to divert this thread from its intended purpose.

If you'd like to discuss the Cheops pyramid look thru and find one of the earlier threads.

Be glad to go thru it again for ya.

[edit on 10/12/08 by Hanslune]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

That wiki article puts it all in perspective, doesn't it?
Interesting that they think we are in the process of a major extinction event as we speak, at least partly because of what we as a species have done to the bio-sphere.
Gotta wonder tho. If they can see the tell-tale signs of living things from so far back, where are the signs of a highly developed human race that supposedly lived way back? Under the seas??

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

where are the signs of a highly developed human race that supposedly lived way back?

Well that is the key question. The reasons for not finding these signs are:

1. We've just been unlucky and have just missed the signs
2. Their civilization and technology used radically different technologies which we cannot see
3. They were deliberately trying to avoid being seen by future generations
4. There is lots of evidence but evil [insert most hated organization] people are hiding it from us
5. There are no signs, there were no such civilizations
6. They lived so far back that we aren't looking in the right place - another version of #1
7. They were wiped out by some great castatrophe, natural, alien or man made - and we cannot detect that either
8. Our world is a computer simulation and they have just deleted all or most references to the previous beta versions

I tend to go with #1 and #5

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Here is some links to detailed chronology of the last 200,000+ years. As you will see humans have been around for some time and almost killed off a few times. Art work and pottery aswell as weapons have been found over 100,000 years old.
WORLD HISTORY 2000b.c-10,000b.c
10,00b.c-20,000b.c
20,000-40,000bc
Homo Sapiens Rises - From 200,000BC to 40,000BC]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons

There seems to be an awful lot of volcanic activity around the world right now.

Is this contributing to our abnormally cold temperatures?

EDIS Map

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by IvanZana

Race is really something that isn't measurable. However there are a number of human species (Neanderthal, Heidelberg Man, etc) who looked almost exactly like modern man and who died out. The number may expand as we are better able to find fossils.

It's less likely. They had no technology to survive if the skies darkened for a year or more with volcanic ash and the prey they hunted started dying and the plants they ate didn't grow. We'd just break out the grow lights for plants and move the cattle and food animals into environmentally controlled barns and go right on living.

Mabey the pyramids and other ancient structures were built to sustain total destruction in case of another cataclysm that the ancients knew or thought would come again.

Uhmm... the King's Chamber space inside the Great Pyramid is about the size of my master bedroom. Unlike my master bedroom, there's no heating and no ac and no source of other air.

It might make a good survival space for a lot of cockroaches, but anything much larger is going to have a very hard time of it.

In fact, all the stone pyramids are generally solid (or with one main chamber... again, not much larger than a large bedroom or a small living room.) The big pyramid hotel in Las Vegas is an exception to that. But the ancients' building skills weren't good enough that they could build large, hollow pyramids.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

Originally posted by IvanZana
Mabey the pyramids and other ancient structures were built to sustain total destruction in case of another cataclysm that the ancients knew or thought would come again.

Uhmm... the King's Chamber space inside the Great Pyramid is about the size of my master bedroom. Unlike my master bedroom, there's no heating and no ac and no source of other air.

It might make a good survival space for a lot of cockroaches, but anything much larger is going to have a very hard time of it.

Who said anything about the pyramids were built to house people?tho possible I would lean towards more along the lines as a monument to man incase man would almost be destroyed again. Survivors can locate the pyramids because of it ability to withstand thousands of years and of course its immensity. Upon finding they can relearn the origins and math, science and astrology.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

The ancient people had a far fainter grip on how nature worked than we do. Their pyramids were used for tombs and temples.

Are you serious?

There has never been a single tomb of an Old Kingdom pharaoh discovered with a body still in the alleged tomb. As such, this would make for a very lousy means of entombment, if the bodies kept disappearing or being ripped off.

The pyramid builders almost certainly knew the precise circumference of the Earth and the length of the year to several decimal places accuracy.

This includes the Sidereal year (365.2564 days between two sightings of the same star before and after the earth’s orbit), the Anomalistic year (365.2599 days of the earth’s sun orbit), and the Solar year (365.24 days between two successive autumnal equinoxes).

The base unit of measurement in the Pyramid's is 25.052 inches. The Pryamid's inch is 1.0025 of our regular inch. Each side of its base is 365.2422 cubits, which is the exact number of days in a solar year. Now 365.24 cubits occur five or six times somewhere within the pyramid that shows it was not a coincidence.

The Pyramid's perimeter, the distance around the four sides of the base, correlates with the circumference of the earth.

According to Professor Piazzi Smyth, multiplying the height of the Pyramid's 35th layer by 10 derives the distance of the earth from the sun.

The base unit of measurement used by the Pyramid designer is ten-millionth of the earth's polar radius, according Peter Lemeisuier. Simply put it is one ten millionth the distance from the North Pole to equator.

The number of days in a century (100 years) is 36,524 days and corresponds to the total inches valued in the Pyramid's perimeter.

The number Pi is the mathematical constant 3.1415, with the ratio of the diameter to the distance around the circle, called the circumference. In the pyramid it is the ratio of the height to twice the length of the base.

www.plim.org...

To say the pyramids were built because ' it was easy or the most ideal shape to pile rocks' or 'it was a tomb' is just bad information.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join