It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humans 80,000 Years Older than Previously Thought. 270,000 yr old tools.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

...... it was not until this year that new dating techniques revealed the tools to be far older than the oldest known Homo sapien bones, which are around 195,000 years old. Using argon-argon dating—a technique that compares different isotopes of the element argon—researchers determined that the volcanic ash layers entombing the tools at Gademotta date back at least 276,000 years.
www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

Many of the tools found are small blades, made using a technique that is thought to require complex cognitive abilities and nimble fingers. "It seems that we were technologically more advanced at an earlier time that we had previously thought," said study co-author Leah Morgan, from the University of California, Berkeley.

It seems like every week something is found that renders history books and scholars pointless by having our past be pushed further and further back.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by IvanZana]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's happening in every field of "science" that can bear to admit it.

It just goes to show how much we really "know", eh? Not a lot.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sorry Ivan

This same topic was posted a week ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by IvanZana

...... it was not until this year that new dating techniques revealed the tools to be far older than the oldest known Homo sapien bones, which are around 195,000 years old. Using argon-argon dating—a technique that compares different isotopes of the element argon—researchers determined that the volcanic ash layers entombing the tools at Gademotta date back at least 276,000 years.

We've discussed this on another site, and there seems to be a tiny bias here saying that only homo sapiens could produce those. Another person pointed to Homo Heidelbergensis and other hominids (but not sapiens) who produced stone tools that were fairly sophisticated.

Until they find bones, it's jumping the gun to say that it was h. sapiens.

It seems like every week something is found that renders history books and scholars pointless by having our past be pushed further and further back.

...but, Ivan.... it's the scholars and scientists who are finding the stuff that rewrites history books.

And ALL history books have to be rewritten. Imagine trying to study history out of a book that was written in 1850! Books on religion don't have to be rewritten... nor does fiction. History, because it's about progress, must constantly be rewritten... including the bits about the older stuff.

After all, there was a year or three when history books would have reported Hitler as a good guy for giving Germans some control over their runaway inflation and a government that was corrupt.

[edit on 10-12-2008 by Byrd]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
linky to new dating technique?

that would help people understand it better

link   
what the heck happened
puz:

[edit on 10-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   

link   
sorry not my fault sorry again how did that happen i clicked once

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg
It's happening in every field of "science" that can bear to admit it.

It just goes to show how much we really "know", eh? Not a lot.

If a group or person claims to know eveything, he has just proven he knows nothing.

I think about what humans have accomplished in 6000 years and then think about the 200,000+ years of human history on this planet. I sometimes think that humans were advanced before and then thrusted to the stone age multiple times.

This great documentary that i have inclueded below shows how the earth recovers after humans were to disappear in one day. LIFE AFTER PEOPLE

Google Video Link

After viewing that doc. I cant help but think that this has happened before.

Another thing to note is that most things ancient are found deep in the ground. So even older things than 20,000 years ago should be very very deep no?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Hmmmm the board is acting a bit wonky at the moment.

If a group or person claims to know eveything, he has just proven he knows nothing.

The only people who I'm aware of who claim this are those who promote religion and some secular fringe ideas, its not a concept used by science

I think about what humans have accomplished in 6000 years and then think about the 200,000+ years of human history on this planet it doesnt make sense that humans were not advanced and then thrusted to the stone age multiple times.

You can certainly think that but then wouldn't the next step be to find evidence to support that idea? At the present no such data has been found.
Do you reject the idea that it is possible that man arose and advanced in he general way conceived of by MSS?

I think about what humans have accomplished in 6000 years and then think about the 200,000+ years of human history on this planet it doesnt make sense that humans were not advanced and then thrusted to the stone age multiple times.

But it fails to note how much material is left in the ground and is easily detectable by archaeologists. Simply take a look at what we know about early man - for Neanderthal we have recovered parts of 400+ bodies and tens of thousands of tools and artifacts from 30,000-200,000 years ago. If we can detect them why not others?

Another thing to note is that most things ancient are found deep in the ground. So even older things than 20,000 years ago should be very very deep no?

Depends on the terrain and how they were deposited. Numerous caves have been dug down to their floors - often going back hundreds of thousands of years.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Yep older older older.
We keep getting older.

They have found remains of a man who is 3 million years old in China.
But try telling that to the cultists, they think its not true and that you must just be from Satan (A dead Babylonian king) and trying to confuse them.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by AgentOrangeJuice

The last argument of last chance is that the devil did it.

But yes science is pushing back the veil of time. I suspect we'll find that what we call civilization began around 15,000 years ago in bits and pieces. It's also possible than an earlier small scale civilization popped up before that time in an area not affected by the ice age - unfortunately there is yet no evidence for that.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
Hmmmm the board is acting a bit wonky at the moment.

Simply take a look at what we know about early man - for Neanderthal we have recovered parts of 400+ bodies and tens of thousands of tools and artifacts from 30,000-200,000 years ago. If we can detect them why not others?

400+ bodies out of millions and millions if not billions of other human-like beings that walked the earth between 30-200,000 years ago only proves that these investigations are in it's infancy. Thats a very miniscule percentage dont you think?

Besides, if there were advanced humans 30,000-20,000+ years ago, how would you be able to tell their advancement by their bones? Tools you say? In africa you have modern cities while hundreds of kilometers away you have peoples living like they did 5000 years ago.

If in 20,000 years from now we lost our history, lets hope they dont dig somewhere in brazil or africa or they would think that around 2000 a.d humans were still using spears and living in huts.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Scientists are telling us different story every day, yet at all times we have to believe them without any doubt. How convenient...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
reply to post by AgentOrangeJuice

The last argument of last chance is that the devil did it.

But yes science is pushing back the veil of time. I suspect we'll find that what we call civilization began around 15,000 years ago in bits and pieces. It's also possible than an earlier small scale civilization popped up before that time in an area not affected by the ice age - unfortunately there is yet no evidence for that.

Very possible. Btw, I like when you speculate Han, its very human and fuels investigation. Not everything has proof or evidence. Doesnt mean it doesnt exsists or didnt happen.

Only time will tell eh?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IvanZana

The important thing is to always separate speculation from what is known. A few people seem to think that the possibility of something means its real.

At the present time its estimated that 35-65,000,000,000 humans have existed since around 200,000 years ago. Yep we do tend to recover only a small portion of those skeletons but we do recover enormous amounts of their artifacts, especially stone tools and the debris from their making. I'd estimate their are around 400,000-500,000 Neanderthal tools and debris in science hands and about x 3 times that amount in private hands and ten thousand times more still unfound.

Sampling stats give us a good chance that we are finding evidence that covers an entire era or area. The fact that we can find Neanderthal and other earlier peoples material means that our techniques and methodogies work. If the material is there- we will find it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join