It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

if you could only listen to one artist/band for the rest of time, who would it be?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:10 AM
link   
mine of course would be frank zappa. i chose him because he is my favorite artist but also because he has a huge body of work so things would never get old.
i would imagine a lot of people will pick the beatles..

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hands down the Grateful Dead. It would take forever to study the lyrics and to interpratate.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by thing fish

"Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band" for me. Night Moves takes me back to my youth and the girls. Old Time Rock N Roll is self explanatory. Against The Wind reminds me of my struggles and becoming happy against all the odds I faced. Mainstreet takes me to my Bar hopping nights. Her Strut comes to mind when I see a hot female struttin her stuff. And all the others like Beautiful Loser, Come to Poppa, Fire Lake, Shake Down etc... Just turn it all the way up and I'm happy.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:46 AM
link   
man i have not jammed to seger in a long time.
gonna have to crank some up.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

Nice, interesting choice.

My parents used to listen to Seger all the time. I didn't like it when I was younger, but now that I've learned to appreciate music, one of my favorite bands.

I really like Fire Lake, takes me back to when I could hear mom singing along.

My choice (can't beleive I can only pick one).... argghhh this is tough...

Prince. yes thats right Prince. A very large collection of work, all kinds of different styles of music.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Thing fish, clearly you are an audiophile. You enjoy your music and have good taste (based on your posts). I will throw out the "argument" so to speak that even you would smash your Tour Slut cd over a rock after so many listenings. As to your question, I agree Zappa would be a good choice. Followed by Devo.

ColoradoJens

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Prince? Man…that's a good choice. I listen to may best of Prince album all the time.

If I only had one choice though, I'd want to rock. So maybe I'd go with a band like the Foo Fighters.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by nyk537

Have you heard the Foo Fighters cover of Prince's Darlin Nikki ? It's pretty good.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Oh yes!

They actually played that live at a concert in Dayton, OH I went to on the One by One tour. (which was one of the best concerts I've ever seen)

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

That's interesting. My Mom loved Seger too and would sing Against The Wind all the time. Honestly I hope I never have to listen to one band or Singer for the rest of my life. I really like it all for the most part and need a little bit of this and that everyday. Rock, Alternative, Hip Hop, Country, Jazz, Blues etc... Thank God for music.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Chalk another one up for FZ. I consider myself a big fan and have barely scratched the surface of his work.

I seen in the paper the other day that a local college symphony is going to do a concert of his work. -Nice

A lot of people think of him as the Weird Al of the 70's or something but he's considered the best American composer by some people who know music. That's not to say that he didn't always like the strange and funny.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
One band and one band only?
Hmmmmm.

I would become a very depressed person if that was the case, but if thats the question then my answer would be..

Ironmaiden!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I may have spoken too quickly in my last post. Here is an incredible story of someone who has taken your question and answered it. A man who's life was changed by Mahler - he is the only amatur ever to conduct it. Talk about love of one piece of music!

Mahler’s second symphony, known as the “Resurrection” for its rousing choral climax and theological theme, is one of the trickiest works in the repertory, a 90- minute epic involving a huge orchestra, chorus, two vocal soloists and an invisible offstage group of brass and percussion that seldom come in on cue. Discussing the purpose of life on earth, its unwieldiness regularly defeats the best efforts of famous maestros. For a rank amateur to accomplish a performance without breaking down in the vast finale was tantamount to a musical revolution. Privately Mr Kaplan now admits that if the musicians had failed to respond to his beat or the music fell apart (as it sometimes does in the best of hands), his fallback plan was to turn around to the audience and announce: “Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is served.”

His feat, discreet though it was, reverberated throughout the music world. Over the following years Mr Kaplan was invited to conduct flagship ensembles at La Scala in Milan, in Munich and Vienna, to open the prestigious Salzburg festival and to give the work its Chinese premiere in Beijing. His recording, made in Cardiff in 1985, has outsold Bernstein, Pierre Boulez, Claudio Abbado and all other contenders. On December 8th his odyssey reaches an emotional apotheosis when he conducts the work with the New York Philharmonic at the Lincoln Centre’s Avery Fisher Hall 100 years to the night after the composer, with the same orchestra, gave the piece its American premiere.

The full story is short and very interesting!

www.economist.com...

ColoradoJens

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
only one band for the rest of time? that's an easy choice for me. Pink Floyd. they manage to play one style and then the next song could be completely opposite. and they are great for listening through an entire album but at the same time their songs are awesome stand alones. the grateful dead is awesome too. but for me its hands down pink floyd.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
These questions are always so stressful. LOL
I will have to say Aerosmith. Not my absolute favorite but they have been around a long time, have a great variety of music, and a lot of it. LOL With some wonderful hits.

new topics

top topics

join