It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'speak of the devil' origin?

page: 1

join
share:
M

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   
If you're talking about someone and just at that point they walk in you say, ' speak(ing) of the devil'

Now what's that all about?

Coincidences aren't really for this forum more for the paranormal studies forum...

But why do people say speak of the devil? what has the devil got to do with this?

Does anyone know the origin of this phrase?

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
i don't know. maybe something like if you talk aout the devil he'll come... i dunno. good question though. origins or words and phrases are really interesting usually.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I thought it was �Speak of the Devil and he shall appear.� That�s why you say it when you are talking about someone and then they show up. Well, that�s how I�ve always used it anyway.

M

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by para
I thought it was �Speak of the Devil and he shall appear.� That�s why you say it when you are talking about someone and then they show up. Well, that�s how I�ve always used it anyway.

yeah I think that's how it is supposed to be used ... but why devil??

Ive also had the full phrase confirmed

[Edited on 4-4-2004 by M]

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by M
If you're talking about someone and just at that point they walk in you say, ' speak(ing) of the devil'

Now what's that all about?

I don't know the origin of the phrase, but from what I've heard, its a lot like those old 'Candyman' movies, and the 'Beetlegeuse' premise. Summoning evil spirits and the like.

The common denominator in all those beliefs, and the other, more obscure ones I've heard of (people summoning demons, and perhaps even the devil by chanting words and using mirrors, ouija's, etc.), is that if you BELIEVE something enough, to the point of KNOWING its true, or possible, or do-able, it becomes reality. This is also, I've found, the common premise of such things as telepathy, telekinesis and the like.

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Usually when we attempt to track the origins of a phrase you will find differing views. But this is one I found.

"Speak of the Devil" is short for "Speak of the Devil and he shall come". It was believed that if you spoke about the Devil it would attract his attention. That's why when your talking about someone and they show up people say "Speak of the Devil"

Speak of the Devil

M

posted on Apr, 4 2004 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Speak of the Devil

Good link and thanks for the info

top topics

join