It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do these images make you feel about smoking?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I'm a smoker, no denying that! I had a quick trip around google images and pulled up the images that are appearing on tobacco products in the UK (I believe the 1st of Oct was when they started)

and a collection of all of them...

I thought this would go nicely along side the Ban on tobacco displays announced thread.

Thoughts?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

The image of the smoke made me go on a quick smoke break. The other's had zero impact on me - maybe because I am thick-skinned and anti-authority.
I don't like people telling me what to do. I know smoking is bad. I just choose to smoke because I enjoy it.

I intend to smoke until I am 40 which is not long to go (3 years). I am in the best shape of my life (according to doctors I have the body of a 25 year old) so I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaalphanovember
I have the body of a 25 year old

I think the police are looking for that.
(sorry)

And I've also just put one out. so guess that sums me up - although I did think long enough to start a thread.

[edit on 10/12/2008 by Now_Then]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:21 AM
link   
How do these images make me feel? They make me realize just how much I hate propaganda and scare tactics. I prefer to be told the truth, not scared into accepting what someone wants me to accept. I found the picture with the needle to be the most insulting.

I prefer these pictures:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Classic governmental stupidity.

Why are both measures needed?

a. Ban the display of tobacco packets

b. Display horriffic images on the packets

Surely an either/ or solution would suffice. People aren't going to walk into the shop to buy their first ever packet of cigarettes, ask for them to be brought up from under the counter, look at the image and say "no thanks".

The majority of smokers probably start when they get a cigarette off a mate, or start as part of their friend circle.

I wonder how much taxpayers' money the government will be wasting on these initiatives... The easier alternative is just to have some anti-tobacco lessons at school. If smokers still want to smoke, let them go ahead- just don't allow them to be treated for "free" on the NHS.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   

you think like a serial killer ...

So what is your own conclusion? Do you ever watch tv or a movie and somebody has a cig, and you get the urge to light up as well?

My g/f and I have also noticed that lately every single movie or tv show we have watched lately had a drug scene in it. Without exception.

It proves nothing except that we have odd taste in movies/tv and/or hollywood is a cesspool of drugs. Now there is breaking news

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:31 AM
link   
This makes me feel the same way as i do when i buy a deck and see these images on them . . .

I still smoke, I smoke outside , I NEVER smoke when theres children or older people around, If im having a smoke on the street and i see a child or a senior citizen approaching ill move away or even put it out (Depending on the situation) . Im not like Robert De niro in Cape Fear when hes at the movies .

So im somewhat of a "Responsible" smoker, i think anyway.

I dont know one person that has given up because of these images.
The thing that pisses me off about this is that they have probably spent taxpayers money implementing these things .

If im gonna quit, its gonna be off my own bat.

I hear how bad it is every time i talk to some relatives or something like that .
So if that wont make me quit then how the hell are some images going to .

Im not an idiot and i have an education, health class was compulsory at school so i am more then aware of the consequences of my actions .

Yeah i have seen people somewhat grossed out by the pictures sure, but does it make them cut down or quit? HELL NO I even know people that will black these images out with a marker and continue to smoke .

My friend works in a newsagent and she gets people that come up to her to buy smokes, the thing is that if they are grossed out by whats on the packet, They just ask for a different one !?

Now excuse me, i need a durry lol

[edit on 10/12/2008 by Omega85]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:46 AM
link   

I love to smoke. I also know it will probably kill me too. I'd love to quit because I hate wasting all that money on it... but like I said... I love it. Its far easier to quit smoking if you hate it.

I find it funny that the tobacco lobby keeps smoking legal, but the government keeps making it harder and harder for us to find places to smoke. I can understand restaurants...BUT BARS???? That is so retarded.

Take a friggen stand you wussies! Either ban it all together or just let us smoke. I hate this middle ground of "We hate smokers, but we make so much money off them!"

I honestly don't care which side they take as long as they would take one. To me the government is just a bunch of hypocrits out to make a buck and I think their inability to take a stand proves my point!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Agreed,

They wont ban them , they simply make far to much money off of them .

The double standards of these governments is ridiculous .

If they really gave that much of a stuff about peoples lives then they would ban them , Not make them more expensive every few weeks .

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:56 AM
link   
A couple of my mates have seen the images, but they havn't changed their minds about smoking.

I have tried many years to get them to stop but nope...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:02 AM
link   
I know someone that decided to cut all these pictures off of her smokes.

Not because they were grossing her out or anything ,
She just wanted to stick them all together to make a rather strange looking face with the eyes and mouth and the other pieces

It was actually very creative i thought .

Im not one of those people that carry on that smoking is terrible and they shouldn't do it . I smoke because i like smoking .

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
Oh my... Camels.... I still smoke those...

I had to go to a smoke break just before seeing this thread.

On topic: The pictures doesn't move me at all... why?

Here in Brazil there's a law that makes EVERY cigarette box/pack come with a picture such as those present here. I smoke around a half-a-pack a day, sometimes a whole pack.

I always look at the pictures behind the pack and think: I wish those pictures had the real power to move us. But in the other hand, if that was true, then I'd go crazy every time I'd see a 'half-naked' Paris Hilton poster, or maybe a new Gisele Bundchen ad would refrain me from looking at other pretty girls.

The problem here - and everywhere - is the choice...

Peace

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:47 AM
link   

How do these images make you feel about smoking?

Pretty good actually.. im just on my way to the shop to get 20 bensonNhedges.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
They don't make me feel any different. I mean honestly, who smokes and isn't aware of the fact it's probably very bad for you.

It's unfair though. They don't put pictures of fat people on food, or an utterly destroyed liver on alcohol bottles. The mixed signals we're getting from our government is disgusting. No it's not OK to take drugs... UNLESS it's alcohol.. or caffeine.. or any amount of prescription drugs. And now even though smoking is completely your own choice, we've gotta look at pictures of dead people. Just seems a little harsh, ya know? If it's that bad for you, then shouldn't they make it illegal?? Considering, that's the attitude our government has been pressing on us for so long now. Oh yeah I forgot, they don't actually care who gets ill and who dies as long as the gears are still being turned. You have to remember as well, that our lungs are still getting affected by the large amounts of pollution from factories/cars, so it's easy for the government to scapegoat smoking for a lot of lung-related diseases. Not like smoking isn't bad for you, 'cos I'm sure it is.

But in conclusion, the images make me feel little different. I'm still going to buy them, and I'M still going to be the one who smokes them. I'LL get the tumours and I'LL die, but at least I'LL be enjoying one more of my gradually disappearing pleasures in life.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by GodCoffin

You made some really good points .

Have a star .

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
this is a intriguing thread to say the least

id like to start off my saying i have no ill means and i dont mean to sound like im judging or trying to influence people one way or another

but smoking in my opinion brings up quite a few controversy's

one thing that worries me is, do you really believe that even though you're smoking, the drs are truthfull in telling you, you have the body of a 25 year old?

and if you do and thats true that you do, then what kind of 25 year old? one thast been smoking over a pack a day since he was 16?

that would make more sense

what im wondering, is do people really believe smoking isnt unhealthy, or believe that it isnt as dangerous as they make it seem?

i know this is a conspiracy board, but is it really a conspiracy as to how dangerous they are?

in my opinion it seems that the majority of NEW smokers only smoke cigarettes, because they are legal and weed isnt, which is another topic in itself

and from my experiences, those that love smoking, are "normally" (not everyone, but several people that i at least personally know) those that are just too weak to quit the habit

also to those who say they are stopping at a set date in time in the future. good luck to you, i know many people who say similar things and to this day 4 years later smoke more then ever

in my opinion i must say i condone the actions the government are taking in this, because even though it is hypocritical in the public teardown of this legal thing, they are at least beginging to hold all drugs to the same standard

this may be slightly off topic but pertains to the thread at hand, its always been interesting to me that tobbacco and alchohol are legal yet marijuana and select other drugs are illegal, yet much safer

so honestly this seems to be one of the cases few and far between where at least the government is trying to hold all drugs to the same standards

not that i think weed alcohol or tobacco or other very select few religious "drugs" should be regulated or illegal i think its at least reasonable that the government seems to be taking a more across the view stance on drugs rather then the old days condoning and pushing the tobacco and alcohol as that was the major cash crop

honestly also to the person who i believe suggested more education in school about tobacco, im a little out of date as im 23 but when i was in grammar school, everyone knew full well from the teachers cramming it down our throats and programs like dare that cigarettes are bad, only to go catch the same teachers out at a restaurant lighting up like a movies electrical crew

plus i find it interesting that even though they are begining to demonize tobaco and alchohol, those are the ones that are still legal, yet to my knowledge offer no medicinal effects, yet there is a abundance of studies as to the medical benefeits of such illegal drugs as marijuana and psilocybin mushroom and those are illegal

the healthcare industry and all you tobaco smokers would be much better off if we just banned tobaco and legalized mary

_javascript:icon('
')

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I think there will be a resurgence in people using those metal cigarette cases like they did years ago. Might be worth buying shares in the companies that make them

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodCoffin
They don't make me feel any different. I mean honestly, who smokes and isn't aware of the fact it's probably very bad for you.

It's unfair though. They don't put pictures of fat people on food, or an utterly destroyed liver on alcohol bottles. The mixed signals we're getting from our government is disgusting. No it's not OK to take drugs... UNLESS it's alcohol.. or caffeine.. or any amount of prescription drugs. And now even though smoking is completely your own choice, we've gotta look at pictures of dead people. Just seems a little harsh, ya know? If it's that bad for you, then shouldn't they make it illegal?? Considering, that's the attitude our government has been pressing on us for so long now. Oh yeah I forgot, they don't actually care who gets ill and who dies as long as the gears are still being turned. You have to remember as well, that our lungs are still getting affected by the large amounts of pollution from factories/cars, so it's easy for the government to scapegoat smoking for a lot of lung-related diseases. Not like smoking isn't bad for you, 'cos I'm sure it is.

But in conclusion, the images make me feel little different. I'm still going to buy them, and I'M still going to be the one who smokes them. I'LL get the tumours and I'LL die, but at least I'LL be enjoying one more of my gradually disappearing pleasures in life.

great points

very interesting about how you mention that yea tobacco hurts lungs, but so does all the other pollution

that really makes me wonder more as to just why tobaccos legal but weed isn't or many other things

makes you think that its maybe because with tobacco still being legal that can always be their scapegoat now to continue to allow the companies and oil to continue completely destroying our air

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Too bad that they can't put those pictures on the industries that produce air pollution. They should put pictures of shattered eardrums on speakers and headphones. Smoking can produce health concerns, but so does most everything else.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

I've got a little sticker on my keyboard which reads: 'WARNING: Some experts believe that the use of any keyboard may cause serious injury.' If that helps.

Now I'm going up on the roof to see if there is one about falling from heights!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join