It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any point of attending church?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 20 2004 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Thanks for the reply, seapeople. =) I will do some looking into that. I think I'm gonna start looking at my Bible a lot more. My religion is fascinating and I love learning all I can about it.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Faisca-

Yes, the Bible really does say what I said! Here is what I meant by being better off praying in a closet and meaning it- this is what Jesus says in Matthew 6:5-6:-

"Matthew 6:5-6 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

See, jesus really did say that you are better off praying in a closet and opening your heart, than praying in public for the sake of being seen!

May you be blessed on your path you choose, just don't take the wide, easy path.

SevenAngels

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Hey SevenAngels that's great. Thanks for the reply. That's definately a verse I'll have to remember. Now on to getting a good Bible...

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Ok, I checked into that verse. My apologies seven. It does not show up in any of my bibles that way. I did find a reference to a closet in the online BLB (Blue Letter Bible) that matches yours. I think that is a reliable source that goes pretty far back.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I found a great online Bible resource. It's called the New International Version. Here's a link.

bible.gospelcom.net...

You can search for verses and for words, it's a really good resource. I found your verse in there.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yes, the above verses are from the King James Version, which I have on my computer- making it easy to quote from. The version I am very happily reading now is the New Century Version. Faisca, if you are looking for an easy-to-read Bible, I'd recommend that one. It's just easier to stay focused on it while reading, rather than getting lost in the Old English of the King James version. I have not looked online for the New Century Version to see if you can download it free, I'm sure you could probably find it somewhere.

Take care-

SevenAngels

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
I have an old english style Bible from school, but I want to find something that's easy to read and has "spark notes" kind of things also to help me understand along the way. Not to cheat, mind you, just to help my understanding of the text (which spark notes are supposed to do). Theres another thread in here somewhere that talks about a good Bible, but its like 80 bucks. I'll keep lookin into them.

posted on Apr, 21 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Well, in my opinion there is no reason to spend $80.00 on a Bible! That's crazy talk! Try out the New Century Version, I'll try and find it online for you, it's really easy to read.

SevenAngels

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by robertfenix
YOU ARE THE CHURCH. You do not need a building or even to give money to people to support their building.

YOU, as the body of Christ ARE THE CHURCH. Your body is the Temple of Faith.

Jesus never said, give your money to me, you poor followers of mine, so that I may put a roof over your head, so that I may put food on your plate. HE NEVER SAID anything of the kind.

The "church" is the faithful, Jesus asked that you practice Fellowship. That means love your neighboor, love everyone you come into contact with and tell them that GOD loves them too. And if they "feel" or have the desire to learn more about Christ that in Fellowship, you give them an opprotunity to hear the words of the gospel so that GOD may turn their hearts to him.

The church is a buisness to take money from the misguided flock and to provide them with a symbol of their "faith". Even when Jesus said, do not worship idols, do not worship "things" to remember me by, but worship in your heart, knowing that GOD loves his children.

THOUROGHLY agreed. I mean, Christianity teaches that God is all around, yet its a sin to not recognize the sabbath? Thats a pet peeve of mine, and I'm Christian.

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by MatthewR1985]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
I have an old english style Bible from school, but I want to find something that's easy to read and has "spark notes" kind of things also to help me understand along the way. Not to cheat, mind you, just to help my understanding of the text (which spark notes are supposed to do). Theres another thread in here somewhere that talks about a good Bible, but its like 80 bucks. I'll keep lookin into them.

This is my bible; it�s widely considered the best bible you can buy. "life Application Study Bible" published by Zondervan. It cost me about $90.00 but I got full grain leather. I believe you can purchase the same bible in pressed leather for around $60.00. Believe me this is the bible you want. Click here to view a PDF file of some of the pages in the study bible. It may take some time to load but it�s worth it, when you see it you will realize why I think so highly of this book.

Some info about this bible.

Synopsis

• A great choice for those looking for a Bible to help them apply biblical truths to their lives.

• Thousands of in-text application notes provide penetrating insight into Scripture.

• Over 100 personality profiles reveal lessons to be learned from the lives of biblical figures.

• Also available in the New American Standard Bible.

Description

• Application Notes provide penetrating insight into what the Bible says to you about how you live.

• Book Introductions use timelines, overviews, and outlines to prepare you to hear and respond to the book's truths.

• Character Sketches spotlight key Bible figures and the lessons you can learn from their lives.

• In-Text Charts and Maps help you locate key places and grasp difficult concepts at a glance.

• Dictionary-Concordance developed specifically for the NIV Life Application Study Bible.

• Red Letter Edition with the words of Christ printed in red.

Edit: I forgot to mention that you can further reduce the cost by choosing not to get the �thumb indexed� version.

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Yeah kinglizard that's the expensive Bible I was talking about. I searched on ebay for it, some people have it for like 25 bucks or so. I really don't want to spend 90 bucks on a Bible... =/

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Faisca
Yeah kinglizard that's the expensive Bible I was talking about. I searched on ebay for it, some people have it for like 25 bucks or so. I really don't want to spend 90 bucks on a Bible... =/

Ebay may be a good choice, but for $10.00 more you could be guaranteed a quality product from Amazon (Link is Below). I highly encourage you to get this bible in the NIV (New International Version). You will really appreciate the work that went into this Bible.

When I was thinking of purchasing a new bible I wasn�t sure if I wanted to spend a lot of money, then I thought I should get the best one I could afford because it�s worth it and I knew I would have it for life and possibly pass it down to my children. It�s a one time expense for something I will have for a lifetime.

The NIV Bible (the most recent translation) was translated not by one individual but by 115 different biblical scholars and published in 1978. It�s easy to read and understand. Translation Philosophy is a balance between word-for-word and thought-for-thought.

NIV Life Application Study Bible (bonded leather black) $64.99 New & $35.00 Used

[Edited on 23-4-2004 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 23 2004 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Thanks for the link kinglizard, I'll definately look into it.

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Faisca,
I am excited for you that you are begining your journey through God's word. Any Holy Bible will do, I use King James and New International versions....I recomend New Inter....(NIV) its easy to read....You do not need alot of side notes though, Because it is The Holy Spirit which will reveal to you God's word. God will grant you revelations if you seek His face...Pray before you read, and ask The Holy Spirirt for guidance and wisdom. ...
If I could suggest starting with The Gospel of John, and the Book of Romans. Excellent places to start. Ill pray for you.....Takce care, and God Bless....grow in faith....
NOTHING compares to having an intimate relationship with your Creator and His Son Jesus Christ....!!!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join