It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hong Kong on bird flu alert, 80,000 chickens killed: report

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Hong Kong on bird flu alert, 80,000 chickens killed: report

www.msnbc.msn.com

HONG KONG - Three dead chickens tested positive for bird flu in Hong Kong, prompting the city to suspend poultry imports for 21 days and begin slaughtering 80,000 birds, an official said Tuesday.

"We feel that Hong Kong is facing a new alert for bird flu," said York Chow, secretary for food and health.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.google.com
www.marketwatch.com[/ url]
[url=http://in.reuters.com/article/health/idINTRE4B81X120081209]in.reuters.com

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Forget the economy, the bailouts, Obama's birth certificate, national security, Iran, Iraq, the NWO, etc. We're in a heap of trouble if avian flu ever propagates and/or transfers to humans. I wasn't nervous when it was on some remote island in East Jabib, but Hong Kong now ? People from my husband's workplace here in suburban America travel to Hong Kong all the time. Aren't we any closer to a vaccine?

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by themamayada

"Aren't we any closer to a vaccine?"

Here's the problem with vaccines, they don't evolve, but the viruses do.

A vaccine will only patch your immune system to be ready for viruses that came out when the vaccine was created. As soon as the virus mutates, the vaccine is useless.

Think of it like updating windows. The updates can only protect your computer against known methods of intrusion, as soon as a hacker finds a new one (or Microsoft screws up and leaves a back door) the update can't protect you any more.

The same goes with vaccinations, they can only protect you against previously known viruses.

We can vaccinate ourselves against the current strain of the virus, but as soon as it makes the jump to people, it will be a different version, and the vaccine will be out of date.

So we have to wait until it's transmitted from person to person before we can create a vaccine for it.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I was just talking to my friend over at his house about it, He heard that the whole virus thing once in a bird can progress to an egg but that the virus is so strong the chick never survives birth. Just throwing that out there.

From history and research it seems no vaccines are ever to good for you, and studies show alot of related long term issues. Do a quick search if feel like it.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Somebody beat you.

I'm sorry, but three dead chickens on the other side of the planet doesn't scare me NEARLY as much as any of the things you just told us to forget.

Now, 80,000 delicious chickens that I can't eat because they were killed in a panicked slaughterfest... that makes me sad. :-(

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   
OMG My daughter is in HK right now!!

Ringing her to see what is happening...

There has been nothing said about out in HK as yet?? Oh just to clarify, just spoke to her and she hasn't heard anything about it yet...

Wonder if there are any precautions? Like with SARS...

I just told her to stay away from chickens and chicken products, eggs etc!

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Thurisaz]

[edit on 9-12-2008 by Thurisaz]

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have already started a post on this topic. Please see link below. Thanks.
Same as this post.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
update:

Email from my Daughter:

well hope alls well! oh by the way the chicken thing... it wasn't 80,000 that died -___-" You must've got it wrong.. it was 10,000 chickens.. happened yesterday... lol HK can't fit 80,000 chickens in it.. it's all city.. no farm.. so it must've been china! Well i don't think there's anything to worry about anyways because they killed 'em and clean it all.. it's not like they sell them and let people eat it lol and also they check all the poultry here.. because it's an "at risk" area.. so i shall keep eating chicken xD'

well talk to you soon ! Ciao mummy!

Just how accurate is the news? wow, 80 thousand is actually 10 thousand.

hmmmm

top topics

join