It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College Football-playoffs or bowl games??? Why is it EITHER/OR?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Here's OT's opinion....

1) Keep the Bowls-tradition, money for the schools, TV, hype, etc-ALL GOOD!

2) Have a 4 (FOUR) team playoff, AFTER....the bowl games!

3) Whoever is left....the top 4 teams 'after' the bowl games....go into a 2-game tourney....simple to me.

= = = = =

Implications/realities-the number 5 and 6 'voted' team will still be pissed....but.....oh well!

Advantages! Revenue! 2 more games! Money for schools, money for advertisers, money for the NCAA.....A LONGER SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!

All is Goood!!!!!!!!!!

Is OT out to lunch??????????? :w:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 05:48 PM
link   
MODS, OT can't believe there are no responses??????

Certainly there are some college football fans on ATS....am I in the RIGHT thread?

Thanks

OT

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
As a sports fan, I hate the annual drama surrounding who got placed where. I have no objections to the Florida/Oklahoma match-up this year, but I'm not convinced they are the two best teams in college football. They are two of the best and all things considered it's an easy sell to say that they both deserve to be there. Florida beat down Alabama in a head-to-head SEC championship, so it would be tough to argue for Alabama over Florida when they lost such a pivotal game.

But to lose a game back in September and be banished from any consideration, it is a flawed system.

The argument is that it puts a lot of merit into games all year.

I watch NFL games every Sunday and the games on Week 1 are taken just as serious as the games in weeks 8, 11 and 14. So I think the argument is moot to say that allowing a tournament style finish for the best teams to partake to decide the champion renders the regular season pointless.

If they want every game to count, then the playoff format is the way to go. When USC lost early in the season, they're season was all but done. While their games were still emphasized as there is still much to fight for, the chance at being National champions was all but lost. That's a system I don't agree with.

The Giants stunk it out to the Eagles on Sunday but are still a solid candidate to win the Superbowl. It only makes sense, in my opinion.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

Sweet!!!!!

Thank you for the response....got to go to DelFrisco's for steak in Dallas....I'll be back and respond better in a bit!!!!! OK?

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Looking forward to it.

Enjoy your steak.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
As a sports fan, I hate the annual drama surrounding who got placed where. I have no objections to the Florida/Oklahoma match-up this year, but I'm not convinced they are the two best teams in college football. They are two of the best and all things considered it's an easy sell to say that they both deserve to be there. Florida beat down Alabama in a head-to-head SEC championship, so it would be tough to argue for Alabama over Florida when they lost such a pivotal game.

But to lose a game back in September and be banished from any consideration, it is a flawed system.

The argument is that it puts a lot of merit into games all year.

I watch NFL games every Sunday and the games on Week 1 are taken just as serious as the games in weeks 8, 11 and 14. So I think the argument is moot to say that allowing a tournament style finish for the best teams to partake to decide the champion renders the regular season pointless.

If they want every game to count, then the playoff format is the way to go. When USC lost early in the season, they're season was all but done. While their games were still emphasized as there is still much to fight for, the chance at being National champions was all but lost. That's a system I don't agree with.

The Giants stunk it out to the Eagles on Sunday but are still a solid candidate to win the Superbowl. It only makes sense, in my opinion.

Florida? Yes....!

OK Sooners....??????.....I don't know, they lost to TX....been pretty impressive lately though

Certainly, my top 4 would cover alll mentioned, right?

Bowl games are a tradition, for sure....OT says, keep um'.....And.....maybe BUT.....let's go beyond that and have a 4 team playoff!

= = = =

Pros?

Pittsburgh over the G-men for all the marbles in Jan....and that's sayin' A...LOT....cause I'm a Browns fan

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
When you think of NCAA basketball, what do you think of?

March madness, final four and the craziness that ensures for that short period where anybody can be crowned a champion. If the Tar Heels go out and stink up the joint this week, what sense would it make to spend the rest of the season discussing whether or not they should be still given an opportunity to be crowned the champion?

One game doesn't make a team and one game shouldn't break them.

Not until the playoffs that is. That is the beauty of any playoff system.

Hell, even golf has adopted a playoff style format to crown it's winner. The FedEx Cup has been revamped each year in it's existence and this year more of an emphasis has been put on the final tournament of the year to ensure that the tour champion will be crowned on the final Sunday.

So in all major sports, on both professional and college levels, the leagues have the fundamental commonality that champions are decided at the end of the year in a tournament of the best of the best of the past year. That is except for college football.

Boise State won a great game a few years back in the Fiesta Bowl. Great game, one of the best I ever watched. But I could not care less that it was for the "Fiesta Bowl". It was a great damn football game. These bowl games are overrated, in my opinion. But I respect tradition and even though I don't understand it, I do respect it and empathize with those that want to see it continued.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Boise....theole STATUE OF LIBERTY!!!!!!

My kids say, they heard my screaming and my banging off the walll to get upstairs to calll the down to see the reply....yeah, they laugh about it...great game!!!!!!!

Bowls, yes it's tradition...but more importantly, they subsidize many universities.....huge money!!!!

let's do both....bowls and playoffs....it could be January Madness???

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

Here's OT's opinion....

1) Keep the Bowls-tradition, money for the schools, TV, hype, etc-ALL GOOD!

2) Have a 4 (FOUR) team playoff, AFTER....the bowl games!

3) Whoever is left....the top 4 teams 'after' the bowl games....go into a 2-game tourney....simple to me.

= = = = =

Implications/realities-the number 5 and 6 'voted' team will still be pissed....but.....oh well!

Advantages! Revenue! 2 more games! Money for schools, money for advertisers, money for the NCAA.....A LONGER SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!

All is Goood!!!!!!!!!!

Is OT out to lunch??????????? :w:

UPDATE!

With my scenario....here's the playoff match-up...

I decided to take the AP Coaches Poll, because the 'BCS' ranked Alabama over Utah? They put Alabama 4th and Utah 6th....AFTER...Utah BEAT Alabama is the bowl game....anyone else confused at that??

So in the AP here's the rankings for the FINAL FOUR playoff...

#1 Fl vs. #4TX

and...

#2 Utah vs. #3USC

and the championship would be between the winning two!!!!!

Wouldn't this work? :w:

[edit on 19-1-2009 by OldThinker]

new topics

top topics

join