It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who were the first 8 Presidents of the U.S.?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

thats right, i was wondering why i dont remember this from school. but since you mention the 13 colonies i remember now.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   

To you I quote the site as an answer...

"The United States declared its independence in 1776, yet Washington did not take office until April 30, 1789."

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by theindependentjournal

i got it if you check my original post i understood what you were saying i was just trying to clarify it.

and washington is the father of this country. he was one of the ones who shaped our current government

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   

those 3 years in between we had the articles of confederation. they were the original constitution but failed which is why we made a new constitution our current one.

thats why the founding fathers are the founding fathers. they founded our current system

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   

A Declaration of Independence is different than being recognized internationally as a soveriegn nation.

Great Britain did not agree with the declaration and fought them on it...it wasn't until Great Britain lost the war did the U.S. finally have recognition internationally (though some European nations, namely France) aided the colonies during this transition.

Seriously, I don't really have contention with your trivia question, but it is technically correct to say that Washington was the first President of the U.S.of A....

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Another Source says:

On March 1, 1781 the Presidency of the United States of America was born with the ratification of this 1st U.S. Constitution. A Constitution unanimously ratified with the bold heading "Perpetual Union" that four score years later would become President Lincoln’s legal foundation for nullifying the secession of South Carolina, North Carolina, Georgia, Virginia and the other Southern States. Lincoln, on July 4th, 1861, to a joint session of the United States Congress would justify his use of military force to preserve the Union stating

Link to this quote is here MostFamousAmericans.net

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

No it isn't technically correct, and you seem butthurt about it, I don't get this..

The United States of America was called that after 1781 Ratification of the AOC, not the Constitution. The Constitution was ratified much later by the number of States required.

Ad for this wrong reply about revolutionary war ending or Britain recognizing I will post the dates of things and you will see that the war ended 6 years before the Washington Presidency

1781/03/01 NA - Articles of Confederation ratified
1783/02/04 WR - English declare hostilities at an end
1783/04/11 WR - America declares hostilities at an end
1784/01/14 WR - Revolutionary War Ends (Treaty of Paris)
1787/05/25 NA - Constitutional Convention opens
1787/09/17 NA - Final draft of the Constitution sent to Congress
1787/12/07 SH - Delaware
1787/12/12 SH - Pennsylvania
1787/12/18 SH - New Jersey
1788/01/02 SH - Georgia
1788/01/09 SH - Connecticut
1788/02/06 SH - Massachusetts
1788/04/28 SH - Maryland
1788/05/23 SH - South Carolina
1788/06/21 SH - New Hampshire
1788/06/21 NA - Constitution Ratified
1788/06/25 SH - Virginia
1788/07/26 SH - New York
1789/03/04 NA - The Constitution goes into effect
1789/04/30 PR - George Washington

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by theindependentjournal
No it isn't technically correct, and you seem butthurt about it, I don't get this..

Whoa. Hold on here a minute. Don't start assuming how I feel; truth be told I don't really have any emotional bond to our nations history. But I will post accurate information to insure that others have all the information as possible.

And you're not completely wrong. If you had asked who were the first 8 Presidents of the national entity that broke off from Britain I wouldn't have nearly as much a semantic problem.

The United States of America was called that after 1781 Ratification of the AOC, not the Constitution. The Constitution was ratified much later by the number of States required.

The colonies may have asserted the new national name, but nothing is official until international communities recognize a soveriegn entity.

The Consitution went into effect in 1789...making the United States an offical nation with an official set of rules by which self governance may occur.

As I have stated, my 'issue' is semantical in nature...

A reminder as well foryou, please keep the personal attacks out of the subject. Seriously, calling me 'butthurt' is not going to win any argument.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm gonna gameshow talk my way through this one so bear with me.

I memorized all 42 in 2000 to shut up a history teacher who wouldn't stop scolding me for my insistence that I don't need to study outside of class to get an A, but I've forgotten most of them- although I can probably logic out quite a few.

The first 7 are easy because their last initials form syllables. WAJMMAJ- just gotta be careful not to forget that there are two "M"s in there- I actually forgot Madison when i first typed this list, then realized he was missing, then had to count the years to the war of 1812 on my fingers to figure out if he was before or after Monroe. Pathetic, I know.

Washington
Addams
Jefferson
Madison
Monroe
Addams
Jackson

Van Buren is the 8th- I only still remember that because Kramer avoided being jumped by the Van Buren Boys by flashing 8 fingers in an episode of Seinfeld.

We had another general after Jackson, so that's Harrison.
"Tippecanoe" (and Tyler too) was the first president to die in office, paving the way for His Accidency John Tyler.

I'm drawing a blank on the next one- I remember he screwed up a nice little run of Generals in office though.

Then we had another General- Zachary Taylor.

He died in office but I don't remember who his VP was.

Then after mystery dude it has to be Pierce and Buchannan because we've got to squeeze them in before Lincoln, and they go together because Pierce's VP had sex with Buchannan.

Then we have the civil war so it's Lincoln, Johnson, Grant.

Then I'm lost until Tecumseh's Curse strikes Garfield.

I know when I hear Garfield that I have to be careful because we're coming up on Cleveland, who had non-consecutive terms.

Little Ben Harrison is between Garfield's terms. That gets us to our next curse victim- McKinley.

Next is Roosevelt.

Roosevelt went Bull Moose because he was pissed at Taft, who was his successor.

Then Wilson- Easy to remember the WWI president when he's in close proximity to a war hero.

Then the curse again so Harding.

That's getting us into the 20s, so Hoover has to be on deck to ignore the beginning of the depression.

Then it's all easy.
Roosevelt
Truman
Eisenhower
Kennedy
Johnson
Nixon
Ford
Carter
Reagan
Bush
Clinton
Bush

And assuming for the moment that the article which Jim Marrs so generously gave us an exclusive on doesn't find its way into the hands of the SCOTUS, it will be Obama.

That's 38 names, for 39 presidencies counting Cleveland twice. So that gives me 5 missing presidents.

I know that Arthur, Polk, Coolidge, and Filmore are missing.

So there's 5 presidents I can't place and 1 of them I can't name. I suppose I could list them all straight out and try to fill the gaps that I knew I was missing, but I'd be throwing a hail mary and hoping to get lucky.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Clever trick, except it's an ambiguity fallacy. You incorrectly cited the title of the president under the AOC. You left off the words "In Congress Assembled" to render it identical in title to the separate and unrelated office of President of the United States, which was created by the Constitution of the United States. The former office was a legislative one. The later an executive one.

The President of the United States in Congress assembled is a different office from the President of the United States- the later not having existed until the creation of the executive branch by the constitution.

One could argue that the office was just drastically changed if the Constitution is treated as an amendment to the Articles of Confederation, however that can be simply disproven. The Constitution does not explicitly nullify the Articles of Confederation, therefore if the Constitution were truly an amendment to those articles it would have to be treated as an addition, and the Articles would still have legal force when not contradicted by the constitution.

Despite the way things were represented to the American public, it is clear from a legal standpoint that the AOC government was abandoned and the nation it presided over ceased to exist at precisely the moment the constitution took effect. The framers understood that they were de facto creating a new nation and government, otherwise it would not have been necessary to reaffirm the debts of the former United States.

Finally, it can be deduced that new offices were formed rather than old ones changed by the simple fact that the congress officially numbers itself from the adoption of the constitution.

GOD ATS should have an office of Solicitor General... and if it ever does, I nominate me.

But while we're being clever, I've got one for you guys... again on the honor system.
How many stars were on the first flag adopted by the congress and what shape did they form?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
First to theindependentjournal

The position of "President" of the United States your claiming is in no way, shape, or form the same as the one outlined in the Constitution. It would be like asking why isn't every speaker of the house or President of the Senate taught to school children.

To the Vagabond

Unless you're thinking of a different flag than me, it's a trick question.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Yep. Although you didn't say it, your reference to a specific flag makes it clear that you know the answer.

Anyone else know?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 03:38 AM
link   
eh, I for one knew about Hanson, well at least I was taught about him. I couldnt get his name right, I kept thinking John Mason, probably bc of all the freemason stuff I read on here lol. but yeah I'm young enough as to where they taught about him , kind of as a trivia thing. and I'm just old enough where I actually listened in school(no offense to the young people on here that do)

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   
President of the United States and President of Congress of These United States are two separate things. No "semantical error" there. It's okay to be independent, but fact check your sources please.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Was it the don't tread on me flag with the snake in 13 parts??

Just a guess i will have to google.

No...gues I was wrong, The link gives a history of the flag.

www.ushistory.org...

[edit on 10-12-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

“If McCain had won last night, he would have become the 5th US President named ‘John’…

However, Obama now becomes only the second ‘Barack’ to sit in the Oval Office…

After, of course, Barack Quincy Adams...”
Seen on a friend's blog after the election...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:38 AM
link   
FSB had it right (he U2U'd the specific answer), and your link has it right too whiteraven.
The Grand Union Flag was adopted before the declaration of independence, so the canton bears the "Union Jack" (technically overlayed St George and St Andrews Crosses- whether or not it's still proper to call it a jack when it isn't being used as a naval jack is a matter of some question).

Incidentally, the stars, both on several flags after the pattern of the stars was set, and also on George Washington's Headquarters flag (which was the standard of the continental army in 1781), were arranged into the shape of the Union Jack, and continued to be so, with additional stars being added outside of that pattern, for several years after independence.

www.crwflags.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

john hancock, its not john hancock its HERBIE hancock

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
You people are arguing over the term President and what it means, and wrongly so I might add.

President Hansen, was and titled as and held the office of:

PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

My question was a trick question in that we have pre-constitutional form and post-constitutional form, but the Title none the less was the same and it was the direct answer to the question posed, I did not ask about the Presidents duties or where he received his powers just THEIR NAMES...

Who were the first 8 Presidents of The United States of America?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   

I did not ask about the Presidents duties or where he received his powers just THEIR NAMES...

Who were the first 8 Presidents of The United States of America?

The first 8 Presidents of the United States of America were Washington through Van Buren.

The question that you are trying (and failing) to ask is "Who were the first 8 Presidents of the United States in Congress Assembled".

The office of President of the United States and President of the United States in Congress Assembled are entirely distinct, for reasons which I have explained and which you have not rebutted.

You were trying to make Memoryshock feel stupid and you messed it up. No sense getting butthurt about it.

By your logic(1), I could ask somebody "Who were the first 8 presidents"
then say, "wrong, I was talking about presidents of the International Union of Operating Engineers". Just because two offices both contain the word president do not make them similar.

(1) Further information on your logic can be found at the following link: Fallacy of Equivocation

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join